The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight

+3
marconi
Tiggs
Page Turner
7 posters

Go down

Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight  Empty Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight

Post by Page Turner Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:36 am

There is a leather look trim around the shelf that is below the skylight at the front of the Nuevo.  When we bought the van it was all buckled so it was replaced.  Now we’ve found the replacement has buckled too, so presumably it is affected by heat and useless as a material for this purpose.

Has anyone repaired it or replaced the trim with another material, and if so was it a simple(ish) job?
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight  Empty Re: Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight

Post by Tiggs Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:15 pm

Exactly the same thing has happened on our Broadway FB. Will look forward to reading any suggestions
Tiggs
Tiggs

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight  Empty Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight

Post by marconi Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:27 pm

I have just had my trim off, I did wonder why they had to try to fit three times in different positions on each side, by the tell tale screw holes. Although its wrinkly on the curves, I wouldn't call it buckled and has been an acceptable feature up to now.

How have these examples buckled any photos ?
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight  Empty Re: Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight

Post by pagetheoracle Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 pm

I hardly noticed the creases in the “ head banger” I think it’s described as but those helpful people at SMC said it would be better if they replaced it and did it free of charge under warranty. Never underestimate the advantages of a first class dealer!
pagetheoracle
pagetheoracle

Male

Auto-Sleeper : AS Malvern
Vehicle Year : New 2022

Tightbeat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Page Turner Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:09 am

Perhaps buckled is too strong a word, but wrinkled is not strong enough.  There are sizeable ridges and furrows in each of the inner curves, which are expanding outwards along the straights.   Being merely a cosmetic thing of course we can live with it, it’s just one of those niggly things that annoys because it’s right in our sightline when we go into the van.  I was musing about replacing or covering the leatherette with fabric but I’m not sure I have the skill needed.  We had a 15 year old sofa in the house reupholstered last year which looks like new, maybe I should ask the chap who did that whether he could do a small job for us!

pagetheoracle, our first one was replaced foc under warranty too - I hope your replacement fares better than ours...
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

pagetheoracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:39 am

Before I bought my Symbol I was considering a Nuevo and was quite shocked by the creases in all 3 brand new vans I looked at.
One knowledgeable dealer (yes there is one out there!) said it was caused by the hot weather as mentioned above.

They can be changed under warranty but it sounds like the new ones soon go the same way. Being a fussy * Inappropriate Word * it would have driven me mad!
These things are obviously not up to spec. It must be obvious to A/S but knowing them, rather than fix the issue what’s the betting this will still be happening to new vans in 5 years time.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight  Empty Re Leatherette Trim

Post by marconi Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:42 am

Dbvwt wrote:Before I bought my Symbol I was considering a Nuevo and was quite shocked by the creases in all 3 brand new vans I looked at.
One knowledgeable dealer (yes there is one out there!) said it was caused by the hot weather as mentioned above.

They can be changed under warranty but it sounds like the new ones soon go the same way. Being a fussy * Inappropriate Word * it would have driven me mad!
These things are obviously not up to spec. It must be obvious to A/S but knowing them, rather than fix the issue what’s the betting this will still be happening to new vans in 5 years time.

It looks like its standard then. Mine was like it when I first saw it, perhaps a reflection on how long it was in the compound waiting for me to come along. I am 'fussy' too but I accepted it as a feature.

The severity of the creases does vary with the heat, the material was quite soft last night when I took photos. Being identical on either side makes them not a big deal.

No doubt AS rely on the majority of people accepting them. Maybe I do because I am writing this sitting on an Italian soft real Leather Sofa that is full of symmetrical creases on all curves and seams.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoboff Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:53 am

The trim is one problem, mine is worse. we own a October 2019 Broadway which has never been used to a multitude of serious problems. Sargent, Whale, Truma and Thetford Fridge issues as experienced by many on here. Now the front shelf has pulled away from the vertical walls . Tiny screws diagonally applied through those plastic turn button things. A total bodge job!
Phoboff
Phoboff

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Replacing trim on shelf below front skylight  Empty Re Leatherette Trim

Post by marconi Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Phoboff wrote:The trim is one problem, mine is worse. we own a October 2019 Broadway which has never been used to a multitude of serious problems. Sargent, Whale, Truma and Thetford Fridge issues as experienced by many on here. Now the front shelf has pulled away from the vertical walls . Tiny screws diagonally applied through those plastic turn button things. A total bodge job!

Another one, how sad. Its a wonder some people have not been made ill by the stress caused.

No use made of a purchase in nearly a year is awful.

Screws thrown in at a jaunty angle and over tightened with a Power Driver so they rip out the tread is standard practice in the Cotswolds it seems.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tightbeat Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Page Turner wrote:Perhaps buckled is too strong a word, but wrinkled is not strong enough.  There are sizeable ridges and furrows in each of the inner curves, which are expanding outwards along the straights.   Being merely a cosmetic thing of course we can live with it, it’s just one of those niggly things that annoys because it’s right in our sightline when we go into the van.  I was musing about replacing or covering the leatherette with fabric but I’m not sure I have the skill needed.  We had a 15 year old sofa in the house reupholstered last year which looks like new, maybe I should ask the chap who did that whether he could do a small job for us!

pagetheoracle, our first one was replaced foc under warranty too - I hope your replacement fares better than ours...
I sent photos of our shelf with the out of shape vinyl to our local main dealer expecting it to be sorted out at the first service. However, on collecting the Nuevo they said they wouldn't do anything as it was ' how it was designed and the warm weather'.....I wonder whether the warranty and cost of service is worth the paper its written on? However, they printed this on the invoice, so I will pursue this with AS. I notice that the 2021 model has a different material. I wonder if they will supply this?
Tightbeat
Tightbeat

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo RK
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Tightbeat Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:51 pm

Page Turner wrote:There is a leather look trim around the shelf that is below the skylight at the front of the Nuevo.  When we bought the van it was all buckled so it was replaced.  Now we’ve found the replacement has buckled too, so presumably it is affected by heat and useless as a material for this purpose.

Has anyone repaired it or replaced the trim with another material, and if so was it a simple(ish) job?
My dealer wouldn't replace it, but I will pursue this with AS direct. However, if a new one is going to go the same way, I have been trying to think of a solution. I think it will be a matter of attaching the vinyl to a firm backing that can be shaped to the correct profile. Thin plastic sheet. First I will remove it and see what is behind. Watch this space....!
Tightbeat
Tightbeat

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo RK
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down