The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Johnuready on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:15 pm

its time to buy awning straps for our 2011 Broadway Auto-sleeper. What straps are best?
Johnuready
Johnuready
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 32
Joined : 2020-04-09
Location : Hertfordshire
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 pm

There are universal ones that go from floor to arm to arm to floor in one continual run or you can get specific ones to the make of awning as they slide into channel or hook to rings on top of legs, so we need to know the make of your awning, Thule, Dometic, Fiamma, Omnistor (same as Thule) or Proctor.

_________________
If life just doesn't add up, start subtracting
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 17791
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 69
Location : North East Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by kaspian on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 pm

I had a Fiamma set that came with the van. The 2 stakes that come with the kit are thin pressed steel affairs and were already smashed to pieces ! Probably fine if trying to hammer into grass but introduce a stone and .... I replaced both with stakes made from 30mm heavy gauge angle iron figuring if they have not bent in 20+ years they wont now!
avatar
kaspian
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1336
Joined : 2015-09-27
Member Age : 60
Location : ayrshire - Burns country
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Caraman on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:53 pm

I just use a couple of cheap nylon guy robes attached to a ring which I hook around the top of each pole.  I have plenty of stout pegs from my caravan awning days.  I am considering buying a G2 semi-translucent Sun Blocker front screen or something like that which when pegged out at an angle could replace the guys and provide a small amount of protection from the elements.  Does anyone have experience of one?
Caraman
Caraman
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 577
Joined : 2019-04-19
Location : SALISBURY
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by gef on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm

I had a continuous  one the length  of the awning kept in place by a spring which was not infallible.   I now use rachet types which are more controlable but you might need three to spread the force.  Just make sure they fit the end stay on the awning.
avatar
gef
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 153
Joined : 2014-10-07
Member Age : 76
Location : ipswich
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Cymro on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Our Nuevo came with a Thule awning, so in the inevitable enthusiasm of a brand new van, I bought a Thule tie-down kit. Of course it fits perfectly, and I thought that the springs next to the two (very solid metal) pegs will help absorb gust shocks. But whilst it seems fine, we rarely put out the awning, and despite the tie-down kit I'm wary of leaving the awning unattended, having seen disasters abroad.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 2439
Joined : 2011-06-05
Location : Caerdydd - Cardiff
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

jwells and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Caraman on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm

I agree with Cymro.  Whilst I usually put my cheap guys out because I've got them, if I thought they were really needed or something more substantial was required, I would put the awning away.
Caraman
Caraman
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 577
Joined : 2019-04-19
Location : SALISBURY
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

jwells and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by IanH on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 pm

Agreed with both above. We do use the awning in the appropriate places (not on aires for example) but never if windy and if it gets windy, in it goes. Wouldn't even think of leaving it out when away from van, or overnight (I am talking re extending canopy type rather than a full room)
IanH
IanH
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 540
Joined : 2020-05-04
Location : NORTH WALSHAM
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Johnuready on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:41 pm

Thanks for your help on the awning question, I’ll order a kit. 

Tomorrow I’ll start on the water inlet problem with some questions.
Johnuready
Johnuready
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 32
Joined : 2020-04-09
Location : Hertfordshire
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Pete Taylor on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:33 pm

As an aside- there are all sorts of "rock pegs" on the market, some of them no good. I've been using these:
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
for around ten years; never bent one, never had one pull out; bashed the bejasus out of them with a hefty hammer and they still are pristine. They also come out easily by "unscrewing" them from even the hardest surface.

_________________
Cheers,

Pete.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 673
Joined : 2012-11-12
Member Age : 69
Location : Cheshire
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

http://www.petetaylor.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Johnuready on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks Pete just ordered them.
Johnuready
Johnuready
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 32
Joined : 2020-04-09
Location : Hertfordshire
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2011

Pete Taylor likes this post

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by RML on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:33 am

I also use footplates that slot around the poles and give an additional 5 holes to peg.
Rich..
RML
RML
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 732
Joined : 2012-03-27
Member Age : 60
Location : Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Pete Taylor likes this post

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by gpilky on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:59 am

Also just ordered some awning straps and tension rafters for my Thule Awning.

Appreciate the advice about taking in the awning the it is too windy - however, what does 'too windy' mean. The instructions in the awning literature is a bit vague to say the least. It would be nice to have a more precise number to go off - for example in km or mph, or even a category on the Beaufort Scale......

Any thoughts what 'too windy' means in numbers?
gpilky
gpilky
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 45
Joined : 2019-11-21
Location : Huddersfield
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by Caraman on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am

gpilky wrote:Also just ordered some awning straps and tension rafters for my Thule Awning.

Appreciate the advice about taking in the awning the it is too windy - however, what does 'too windy' mean. The instructions in the awning literature is a bit vague to say the least. It would be nice to have a more precise number to go off - for example in km or mph, or even a category on the Beaufort Scale......

Any thoughts what 'too windy' means in numbers?
No numbers but if the awning's flapping and the habitation door won't stay open, I reckon it's probably too windy.  50% of the time we don't use ours because of the wind or threat of wind.  Its nice to have it out but on the Nuevo I find it doesn't provide that much protection.  We are on a sunny pitch now where we find the trees and sides of the van provide more shade than the awning.  This is partly why I have been considering a sun screen that attaches to the awning.  The Broadway awnings will be bigger and probably more effective.
Caraman
Caraman
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 577
Joined : 2019-04-19
Location : SALISBURY
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by pstallwood on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 am

We never leave our van for more than a short while - eg to go to the loo or wash the dishes - without closing the awning. We never leave it up overnight either.

We have been camped next to vans on two occasions when the vans have been left unattended and the wind has got up. We managed to wind one awning in but the other one was damaged before we could do anything.

We never leave the roof-light open if we are going to be away as well. Clear sky so go out for a meal. Have main course and heavens open. Roof-light open but luckily all the water went onto the carpet between the seats so the bed did not get wet. Carpet dried in the sun later on.

_________________
Peter
avatar
pstallwood
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 402
Joined : 2016-08-08
Member Age : 74
Location : South
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by gpilky on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Caraman wrote:
gpilky wrote:Also just ordered some awning straps and tension rafters for my Thule Awning.

Appreciate the advice about taking in the awning the it is too windy - however, what does 'too windy' mean. The instructions in the awning literature is a bit vague to say the least. It would be nice to have a more precise number to go off - for example in km or mph, or even a category on the Beaufort Scale......

Any thoughts what 'too windy' means in numbers?
No numbers but if the awning's flapping and the habitation door won't stay open, I reckon it's probably too windy.  50% of the time we don't use ours because of the wind or threat of wind.  Its nice to have it out but on the Nuevo I find it doesn't provide that much protection.  We are on a sunny pitch now where we find the trees and sides of the van provide more shade than the awning.  This is partly why I have been considering a sun screen that attaches to the awning.  The Broadway awnings will be bigger and probably more effective.
Thanks for the reply. Still new to this and learning as we go. The first time out with my awning up the wind got up and the flaming was really noisy. Read the instructions and found out I should wind it back to put some tension in the fabric  snigger . This time out I tightened it a bit and we had a much better sleep!

I'm also looking at a side panel. These have a rafter that is supposed to help with stability of the awning too. This weekend we had gusts up to 20 km/hr and it was as steady as a rock without the rafters and using para cord guy ropes.
gpilky
gpilky
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 45
Joined : 2019-11-21
Location : Huddersfield
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Auto - Sleeper awning straps Empty Re: Auto - Sleeper awning straps

Post by gpilky on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:42 pm

pstallwood wrote:We never leave our van for more than a short while - eg to go to the loo or wash the dishes - without closing the awning. We never leave it up overnight either.

We have been camped next to vans on two occasions when the vans have been left unattended and the wind has got up. We managed to wind one awning in but the other one was damaged before we could do anything.

We never leave the roof-light open if we are going to be away as well. Clear sky so go out for a meal. Have main course and heavens open. Roof-light open but luckily all the water went onto the carpet between the seats so the bed did not get wet. Carpet dried in the sun later on.
I was wondering about the roof light too - thought a high wind could do much damage to these if they were wide open..... Always close these when I'm out. I do like to keep the awning up though, especially on grass as it provides some shelter when getting back from walks with wet clothes & dogs. Ground is dryer too....
gpilky
gpilky
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 45
Joined : 2019-11-21
Location : Huddersfield
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum