The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Been camping post lockdown?

+10
nuevoboy
BobK
mikethebike
Askit
Peter Brown
RogerThat
Page Turner
Wizard
Paulmold
Relaxez-Vous
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Been camping post lockdown?  Empty Been camping post lockdown?

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:14 pm

I'd like to know how the campsites are coping, your experience, what risks you were willing to take, and where did you draw the line.

This morning we booked for a couple of nights on a CAMC site. We'd chosen our first site then discovered the next available slot was mid-August which we did then book. Looking next at a CAMC site in Yorkshire, it was fully booked, not a sausage up to the end of their season in October. We did find another possible site where we might make a booking. Currently I'd be favouring sites that have walking activity as a feature, and if there are any pubs close by, I'd be wanting there to be plenty of outdoor seating.

How are those going camping managing with distancing, check-ins, toilet blocks, water points etc.
Are you taking all your food with you?

What's been your experience, any advice. suggestions and tips, even places to avoid?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Been camping post lockdown?  Empty Re: Been camping post lockdown?

Post by Paulmold Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:53 pm

We are already on our third site. Here in Wales sites didn't open until last Saturday the 11th. Caravan club had planned to open from 13th (original date for Wales) and didn't open on the 11th but Camping Club did so our first site was Camping  Clubs Cardigan Bay. Toilet blocks are not opening in Wales until 25th . 
Cardigan Bay has 85 pitches, we were one of only 4 there for the weekend. Warden didn't wear mask to welcome us. He stood about 2 ft away from my window to tell us what rules were in place which basically are none as toilet blocks and washing up sinks and laundry are all shut ,as is the playground. 
Local town of New Quay was fine, lots of takeaway food places open and coffee shops doing takeaways. People observing social distancing but few wearing masks. Beach fairly quiet, no sign of Bournemouth type overcrowding.
This was opposite to Aberaeron where we seemed to be the only people giving others a wide berth and very few observing social distancing. All shops limiting to 2 people only inside.
Second site St.Davids Caravan Club. Very different check in procedure. Met by male warden at gate who gave us 'welcome pack' and stood well back from my window although no mask. One person only to enter reception where female warden behind screens, payment by cash or card or vouchers, all placed onto a table, you then stand back and she picks up and stands back behind screen. Twice a day, wardens go round site and disinfect all waste bins, and taps and chemical disposal points by pressure sprayer. Local town, very few shops open at all, one pub serving food and drink outside. Site was about one third full.
Third site, Caravan Club at Freshwater East. One person only in reception to pay etc., Site very busy, probably three-quarters full. Lots of kids on site considering schools have not broken up yet.
We are away for ten nights and have brought food for seven evening meals. We have shopped for bread and milk at one small Co-op which was well organised with a one way system and shopped in an Aldi today, again well organised and people observing social distancing but staff not wearing any PPE. (we did).
I think because Wales has eased things at a slower rate than England, there is not the mad rush but this could all change when toilet blocks open and tents are allowed.
We have no intention of visiting pubs or restaurants whether inside or out but have had fish and chips takeaway which we ate sat on a harbour wall. 
I've taken wipes to the taps to wipe before I turn them, worn gloves to the chemical disposal and sanitised hands every time.
It's certainly different but do-able.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Welshcamper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizard Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 pm

Cofton Holiday Park the first weekend camping allowed. 40% occupancy and a member of staff said they had been turning away bookings whilst they get used to things. Very well organised. Cleaned hands after filling water but cleaning the tap first also a good idea like you suggested Paul. Didn't use the shower or toilets but my friends did. We take a battery powered outdoor shower in a toilet tent because I don't like using showers inside motorhomes because of the risk of leaks. Local pub was nice and again just getting used to things. It is clearly going to be a different story at coastal places in the summer holidays because everywhere is getting very booked up. We are going to Gower shortly and will then stay away from the coast until September I think.
Wizard
Wizard

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Page Turner Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:55 pm

We’ve just returned from our first foray of the year, to CAMC Stamford site.  One in, one out at reception, warden behind perspex, all payment by card.  We dithered in the van when we arrived, expecting to have to phone but the warden beckoned us in from the window.  They’d clearly only recently moved from completely contactless check in by phone because the sandwich board telling you to ring a number on arrival was still out but turned around.

The site was full the first night (Saturday), even fuller than full in fact because the pitch next to ours was a temporary one the wardens had added as a favour because some vans wanted to be pitched together (still correctly distanced though.)

There are no facilities at Stamford so no debating whether or not to use.  I experienced my first motorhome showers and found it better than expected but I won’t be making it a regular thing! I’ve been using campsite showers for 30+ years with no issues and if they had been available I’d have used them.  Yes Covid is the most serious deterrent so far but I’d have gone in armed with sanitiser to clean my hands after opening doors on the way out and everywhere else would have been washed anyway!  As far as I can see the risk would be minimal.  I appreciate others may think differently.

We took all our food with us, but on the way home we did stop off at Barnsdale Gardens and decided to stay for lunch.  It was handled very professionally and we sat outside to eat which was lovely.  That was a big step for us because we haven’t had food prepared anywhere other than our own kitchen since February.

We’re off again in a couple of weeks to CAMC Carsington Water.  That and the Stamford break had been booked some time ago, before sites started getting booked up and we thought long and hard about cancelling, but now we’ve done it once we are reassured and will be out every chance we get  agree3

Edited to add, there was a spray bottle of sanitiser at every water filling/chemical disposal area.

Last edited by Page Turner on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
Page Turner
Page Turner

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:06 pm

We did Longnor Wood in Derby and Eye Kettleby Lakes in Melton Mowbray last week.

My first week off work since Christmas 2019 so a break was looooong overdue.

Both offered contactless check in.  Eye Kettleby was full to the rafters! 

No apparent risks either, apart from the weather(!) both sites were fine.

Off to Somers Wood in Birmingham in a couple of weeks.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Page Turner wrote:

We’re off again in a couple of weeks to CAMC Carsington Water.  

An old haunt of ours smile!

There's a nice little CL/CS not fat from there, Poplars Farm, that we also frequent a couple of times a year too  allthumbz
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Just back from a couple of nights at Buxton C&MC.  We don't use facilities blocks so for us it was a completely normal experience with the exception of checking in, it was not an issue as the warden was very pragmatic, but I have impaired hearing and I couldn't hear what was being said when he was behind the Perspex screen - he just stepped to the side and it was fine.  Many were using facilities with an armband on hook managing occupancy levels but other than that, all seemed normal.

The shops each had their own way on managing things depending on whether they wanted to sell or weren't particularly bothered. We were happy and Chris tried on and bought some sandals using disposable socks supplied by the shop.  I did spot an optician through the window wearing both a mask and visor - I experience that with a hairdresser at home on Monday and combined with me having hearing aids removed had to communicate by sign language.

Lunch in Wetherspoons was perfectly normal for us as we've been using their app system for a few years.

So camping was unremarkable, weather was rubbish and one moaning cat is lucky he was brought home - he is a very grumpy old man now so we've started shutting him out of the bedroom at home but no such escape in the van!!
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Arrived today at The Woods in Alva, very organised reception and the site has hand sanitizers everywhere. The site is jam packed, mostly with caravans. There are quite a few privately owned cabins on site, several have very mature and well maintained gardens growing outside them.

Now that's a clever trick Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:35 am

Well i am in France.  Came over yesterday. No checks just waived through.Good news ,ferry on time but they gave me an earlier one as i was early anyway.
Free meal and drinks for every passenger.DFDS. up! up!
Leaving Calais ,A16 road works so single file from ferry to outskirts of town. rolleyes  what a pain.

Cite Europe Motorhome park ,all cars. Security said i could stay overnight. However a english small sign said parking 8.30 to 10 pm.
So decided to go to Wissant. Got there at 4pm. Very full. By late evening 47  motorhomes.  shrugg Good job there are no buses. allthumbz
Many go for a wild camp for a holiday i think. confused3 Only 5 went off this morning. Village was full of cars and visitors.

Masks when going into shops . No problem eating or drinking ,just take mask off.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:09 am

Askit ...... hello from just along the road.   Nice wee site at The Woods.    Never actually used it but have visited their restaurant last year and it was excellent.   Is it open?       Weather not so good this morning....hope it improves for you.   

Enjoy  your break.     Bob
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am

BobK wrote:Askit ...... hello from just along the road.   Nice wee site at The Woods.    Never actually used it but have visited their restaurant last year and it was excellent.   Is it open?       Weather not so good this morning....hope it improves for you.   

Enjoy  your break.     Bob

Hi Bob, thanks. Yes I can see why you wouldn't use it when you live so close by. We use it as a shakedown site to start the year (bit late this time). Yes the restaurant is open, we've booked it for tomorrow  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Just got back from 4 nights at Broadway C&MC site.
Booking in was similar to above comments with the added bonus of reduced rates for our last 2 nights thanks to VAT reduction. up!
We were expecting to use our own facilities for the first time but the onsite shower block system seemed fine.
In the gents, there were two urinals, two toilets, two washbasin cubicles and two showers open each a couple of metres apart.
Outside the shower block was a bowl of Milton with rubber wristbands in.
At first there were three available for the gents and four for the ladies.
So, queuing was the order of the day, but most people were happy with the system.
This morning for some reason there were only 2 bands for the gents and three for the ladies (perhaps someone had walked off with them without putting them back in the bowl).

At the service points, everyone respected social distancing rules and waited for others to finish before approaching.

In the village, the shops were all open, but people weren't going in to browse and I don't think many sales resulted.
The village Coop was fine, with most giving room for other shoppers and the pubs seemed to be doing good trade.

We did try to go to one village pub, where pre-booked people could enter the building, but non-pre-booked had to use a garden marquee. The only problem for us (with dumb phones) was that you had to download an App to order and pay.

Two cafes we used were fine; they asked for name and contact number before ordering.
One even had foot-operated sanitiser on entering and we noticed the waitresses wiping down all the tables and chairs and even the individual menu pages. Most impressed, though how long this will last for, heaven knows.

Report over. Enjoy yourselves wherever you are.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Just arrived at Shawsmead CAMC site. Slightly different procedures to previous two CAMC sites. Signs on reception telling new arrivals to phone site and payment would be taken over the phone. Just as I was about to do that, the warden (lady) popped her head around the door to tell me I would find an envelope with my name on in the information hut. I replied I wanted to pay with vouchers so she said I'd better come in then. I had to show her the vouchers, then tear off a corner and put the corner in a bin and the rest of the vouchers in an envelope on the counter as she 'wasnt allowed to touch them'. Did I want to pay the balance by cash or card? As I had cash I chose to pay cash for which she put on gloves to handle it. So she can't handle vouchers but can handle cash! 
When we had chosen a pitch I then had to phone her to let her know which pitch number we were on.
It seems all sites have little differences in their procedures.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:01 pm

We are Devon right now. Just spent two nights at the excellent certificated site, Uplands at Chittlehamholt. We tried to book a further stay there but they are now booked through July and August. We are now a bit stuck and have no site booked so will have go a bit wild or use the Torridge scheme. Quite a few small sites are not opening at all. Many did not respond to enquiries. Those that did reply are booked. There is some availability at the big CAMC sites but in very busy areas. C&CC have closed most of the southwest sites. Tavistock is open but no ablutions. That’s not logical for those of us who have been there given its fully equipped cubicles. The void left by C&CC will displace demand to the sites that are open hence the lack of availability. We had to join CAMC just to get a wider choice.
The big private sites are charging very high fees. We don’t do the pub thing because we don’t drink much at all and never eat out. We are thinking of drifting off to regions that no one wants to go to.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:38 pm

A different experience from all of you lot today!!
Took a punt this morning & drove out to Filey, A64 York to east coast road, jam-packed, usual 1-3/4 hour run took 3 hours, campsite totally full, 'any cancellations'? NOPE, Up to the Brigg, jam packed again, never seen the likes of it. OK, off to Scarborough, all sites etc, same old, same old.
Off again up to Whitby, By the 'ek, even worse!!
That absolutely ginormous coach park by the river? No spaces at all !
The town resembled outside a stadium at chucking-out time.
Called in at every site we could find, ZILCH!!
Just got back after a 220 mile round trip to no-where!!
We DID manage a couple of layby pull-ins for a coffee & sticky-bun. smile!
Ho-hum.

Van needed a run anyway  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:51 pm

We are on a CAMC site near Aberaeron (Shawsmead) and it's less than half full. We were at St.Davids site last Monday and that was about a third full. C&CC at Cardigan Bay almost empty last weekend. Sites in Wales have no shower/toilet blocks until 25th. If you can manage with own facilities come over here.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Had a quick look last weekend  on C And CC club sites  for anywhere in Scotland. Nothing available whole of August .....
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:16 pm

kaspian wrote:Had a quick look last weekend  on C And CC club sites  for anywhere in Scotland. Nothing available whole of August .....

We're on the site at Blair Drummond and it's chock a block. Mostly caravans but they have a significant number seasonals. Don't think there is one vacant pitch. Last time we were here was about three years ago, It's a bit bizarre that we ended up on exactly the same pitch.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Now booked in  Somerswood in Birimginham,  Cloverfields in Buxton and Burrs Country Park in Bury.

Between now and September smile!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Just back after our first trip away this year, I was very impressed by how much effort the sites have put into enhanced cleaning, general procedures, signage and the provision of sanitisers. It was great to get away, adults behaved reasonably and sensibly as you would expect, kids did what kids do shrugg

Can't wait for our next trip away up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Just back from one night at Forfar Loch Site .   Very pretty site in the Country Park with cycle/footpath round the loch.... about two and half miles.   Weather kind.   Then two nights at Stonehaven...weather not so kind.    Both sites were full and everything seemed to be very efficient.  
 Interesting control in place for the toilet/washrooms.   At Forfar, each member was given a wristband.   If they went to the washroom, you have to hang the wristband on one of three hooks outside the door, before entering.   If all the hooks are occupied, it means you have to wait until someone exits.  Thus controlling only three persons in at one time.    Stonehaven had a slightly different version of the same idea.   They had a bowl of sanitiser outside the entrance with three wrist bands immersed in it.   If there were no wristbands in the bowl, you had to wait again until someone came out.
BobK
BobK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Beetee Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 pm

Just had 3 nights on a CL at Snape, only an hour's drive away.   No problems, once we had replaced the engine battery which died as soon as we pulled onto site!  Have now booked 5 nights mid August on a CL near Hickling Broad; payment by Bacs or cheque, water and electric to each pitch.
Beetee
Beetee

Female

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo (Lancashire)
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 pm

BobK wrote:Just back from one night at Forfar Loch Site .   Very pretty site in the Country Park with cycle/footpath round the loch.... about two and half miles.   Weather kind.   Then two nights at Stonehaven...weather not so kind.    Both sites were full and everything seemed to be very efficient.  
 Interesting control in place for the toilet/washrooms.   At Forfar, each member was given a wristband.   If they went to the washroom, you have to hang the wristband on one of three hooks outside the door, before entering.   If all the hooks are occupied, it means you have to wait until someone exits.  Thus controlling only three persons in at one time.    Stonehaven had a slightly different version of the same idea.   They had a bowl of sanitiser outside the entrance with three wrist bands immersed in it.   If there were no wristbands in the bowl, you had to wait again until someone came out.
The bowl of sanitiser that club sites use is apparently Milton. One warden (whose site was using the hook method) was against the bowl method due to Milton needing 15 minutes to sanitise the bands and you wouldn't know how long any band had been in the bowl. I'm no expert so make no comment other than I prefer the hook method. I've yet to experience either as Welsh shared facilities don't open until tomorrow, and we probably won't use them anyway.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Yes, it was Milton.     Must say I had thoughts about both methods.    The personal band method made me think..."what if you didn't get your own wrist band back when you came out.    Bit of cross contamination there !!

Didn't actually use their facilities anyway, but at least they are trying their very best.   Periodic sanitising around the chemical disposal and bins areas and sanitiser at the fresh water taps.    

Must say, Stonehaven didn't seem to have its usual vibes....and the weather didn't help.   I do like Forfar though.
BobK
BobK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Sanitiser was provided outside the shower blocks at Broadway in addition to the bands in Milton.
Paul raises a fair point concerning the amount of time the band needs to be immersed.
It was a case of one out, one in, with the band hardly even getting a fresh dipping before retrieval.
I must admit that I thought sanitiser would have been provided at the service points on the C&MC sites.
After all, each and every person that visits, handles the taps or bin lids and on a few occasions I did forget to take some gloves with me.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next