The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Product reviews

+2
Greyhound
Gromit
6 posters

Go down

Product reviews Empty Product reviews

Post by Gromit Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:09 pm

Just looking at Turmeric for knee and back pain (probably arthritis) to see if there's any reliable evidence to suggest that it's not "Snake Oil" - as so many of these wonder supplements turn out to be.

This review had the Memsahib dashing off to change into dry knickers!!  lol4

Product reviews Lover_10
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Product reviews Empty Re: Product reviews

Post by Greyhound Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:49 pm

The Oxo Tower restaurant mentioned in the response has become infamous for it's colourful reviews over the years  hugegrins

As an aside, doubtful the reviews would give anything other than anecdotal evidence, for you though.

Best to look into proper clinical papers such as this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/

Results show the anti-inflammatory affects are of benefit and can be comparable to aspirin and ibuprofen.  It is difficult for the body to absorb though, so supplements containing nothing but Turmeric aren't much good, they need to be combined with something like piperine to create a complex that is easily absorbed - you'll see these as turmeric and black pepper:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turmeric-Capsules-Strength-1800mg-Pepper/dp/B07Q424GHG
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Thanks Greyhound. Much appreciated.

I was looking at the serious stuff, but it's a bit thin on the ground apart from American studies, some of which usually find exactly what they were looking for, and ignore any conflicting evidence!!

The NHS are so full of caveats and uncertainties, quite correctly of course, that it's difficult to reach a conclusion. They do say however that any dose above 5-600mg is a waste of time.

I was looking at these. Any good do you think? >> SEE HERE <<

Thanks again

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Turmeric is definitely the in product but as to how good it is time will tell.

Glucosamine, Omega-3 and others have all ridden high in the past a only to be knocked down once they are properly examined, I wouldn't expect Turmeric to be any different.

It also works the other way, for a long time natural butter was classed as death on a plate, now the natural oils in it are thought to be beneficial.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 am

The footballer Thomas Hal Robson-Kanu has developed his own range, following his recovery from serious knee injuries.
There's some in-depth research gone into their product and it looks the more promising of most offerings.
It is damn expensive though and I've not (yet) tried it myself.
Plenty of stuff on t'internet about it though.

Happy hopping,
nuevoboy.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am

Voltarol joint pain relief (2.32%gel)  diclofenac diethylammonium
Long lasting relief of pain and inflammation.
I had a total knee replacement 11 years ago ,I use the above gel, on the other knee joint ,wrists And on the back when needed.
Wife uses it too.
Hope this helps
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:47 am

Just beware of Voltarol if, like me, you are allergic to aspirin / ibuprofen and other NSAIDs, because I seem to recollect that Voltarol contains them. I recall having to use a surgical glove whereby to apply the Voltarol which my wife needed for her neck some years ago. It worked well for her.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:02 am

I bought a capsule filler gadget a couple of years ago and make my own, using bulk packs of turmeric, also garlic and ginger ones. 

Admittedly these may not contain the same claimed magic extra ingredients or snake oil but cost a tiny fraction of the price of bought products.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:37 am

Voltarol contains Diclofenac which is indeed a NSAID. Because of this it should not be used in conjunction with full strength Ibuprofen medication without medical advice. When used as a joint pain relief care should also be taken with using heat pads on the affected area as it desensitises the skin with a risk of overheating being undetected.

Paracetamol is not an NSAID so can be used in conjunction with Voltarol or Ibuleve (allergies permitting)

Arnica gel is a homeopathic equivalent and thought to be as effective as oral painkillers.

On the subject of Turmeric et al.

Roger Knaggs (associate professor in clinical pharmacy practice at the University of Nottingham) advises taking into account patient beliefs when discussing products. For example, Cochrane data and the BNF state that rubefacients are ineffective, but if a patient requests such a treatment and it doesn’t cause harm, then it is acceptable for the pharmacist to supply it. “The placebo response to any analgesic is so large that this contributes an awful lot to the positive outcome. Experience has shown me that if a patient believes a treatment provides a benefit and there is minimal risk, then I am more inclined to go along with it.”

So even if a product CAN'T provide any clinical benefit it is still reasonable to use it.

However Turmeric can affect blood clotting and also reduce testosterone. The fact that this is known indicates that the product has been clinically assessed and shown to b a risk yet is still considered to be ineffective for its claimed purpose.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:06 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Voltarol joint pain relief (2.32%gel)  diclofenac diethylammonium
Long lasting relief of pain and inflammation.
I had a total knee replacement 11 years ago ,I use the above gel, on the other knee joint ,wrists And on the back when needed.
Wife uses it too.
Hope this helps
Boaby
I'm assuming any user of the Voltarol gel would have read the instruction reflect inside the package.  shrugg 
When required, I apply a small amount of gel to my knee without the need of heat pads, it works for me.
May need to use heat pads later on in life.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 pm

I had some new tablets supplied and the doctor was quite surprised that I had read the PIL and found it was contraindicated against one of my existing medication. Apparently few do.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down