The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is time passing faster?

+10
IanH
Askit
Peter Brown
groundhog
Bobskate
babian
Gromit
Quilter
Paulmold
bikeralw
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is time passing faster? Empty Is time passing faster?

Post by bikeralw Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 pm

I had a phone chat with my sister tonight and she confirmed what I thought was just something myself and my wife were experiencing.
During this period of lockdown, time seems to be passing much faster.
Maybe it's because life has ceased to have any structure, for example, Sunday just feels like any other day, what day of the week it is no longer matters. Nothing is pressing, no engagements in the diary so to speak.
In times gone by we could look back and say we were doing such and such this time last week/month, or we were here or there.
But now the weeks just seem to pass with nothing notable happening.
A bit like long winter nights, but in summer..
Strange times indeed.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Is time passing faster? Empty Re: Is time passing faster?

Post by Paulmold Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Since retiring every day seems like Sunday simply because we don't go to work but now we can't even work out what day it is. As you say we do nothing notable. Exhausted everything we said we'd do during lockdown. There are still things we could do but don't really need doing so we don't. Here we are limited to going 5 miles which feels like being under house arrest, just desperate to go 'somewhere' but appreciate we are not as restricted as those who are isolated for medical reasons.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:29 am

Yes, time does seem to be going faster but we always know what day of the week it is: it’s Friday and Dustbin Day and it seems to come round about every other day.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:26 am

So why are things in the vegetable plot growing much slower than usual?  scratch head

"Watched" and "Kettle" spring to mind.  had_idea
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:12 am

I must say no to that question.
Still the same Monday too Friday work routine , bin day Tuesday round here.
The so called bank holiday weekends were the slowest at the height of all this . Seemed just a waste of time with the restrictions to adhere too. I had a long list of painting and DIY ( 50% only done) to do but on reflection all I wanted to do was get rid of the rattles in my van especially " the microwave" and add more insulation but van was locked away with restricted access in storage.
The wait now for our unlocking will be a long old drag.
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:08 am

Quilter wrote:Yes, time does seem to be going faster but we always know what day of the week it is: it’s Friday and Dustbin Day and it seems to come round about every other day.
I’m with you there except our bins are Tuesday. The main excitement of my week is the geriatric shopping session on a Wednesday at 8.00am at Sainsbury’s. I have made lots of new friends, arriving virtually the same time every week, and therefore in the same part of the queue. One of the regulars is a woman who buys lettuce for her tortoise. it’s a fussy eater and has to have Little Gems not Cos or Iceberg.   It’s Sunday now and I’m thinking of the shopping list already. It’s all stress you know.

scratch head hugegrins
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:16 am

Paulmold wrote:Here we are limited to going 5 miles which feels like being under house arrest, just desperate to go 'somewhere' but appreciate we are not as restricted as those who are isolated for medical reasons.
Oh dear that’s a pain. I’d forgotten where you live. Our restriction on distance was lifted a couple of weeks ago and it makes such a difference. Even got the van out recently for a day trip. First run since Early March. Supposed to be going to Aberystwyth in July but chances seem slim. People say it will end but please get a move on!
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:30 am

Retired for twenty years now so have to think hard about what day it is even under normal circumstances, in fact, knowing where I am and who I am are a struggle sometimes never mind what I am supposed to be doing.
Is time going too fast, sure is, doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

Recall being in France a couple of years ago and knew we had to catch the ferry home except we had no idea what the day or date was that we were currently enjoying! Had to phone my 97 year old Aunt in England to ask her for guidance! so_sad
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:31 am

Bobskate wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Here we are limited to going 5 miles which feels like being under house arrest, just desperate to go 'somewhere' but appreciate we are not as restricted as those who are isolated for medical reasons.
Oh dear that’s a pain. I’d forgotten where you live. Our restriction on distance was lifted a couple of weeks ago and it makes such a difference. Even got the van out recently for a day trip. First run since Early March. Supposed to be going to Aberystwyth in July but chances seem slim. People say it will end but please get a move on!
We are also hoping to go Aberystwyth in July but with Wales easing lockdown slower than the rest of UK, it does seem unlikely. Even the shops here haven't been told they can open on the 15th as in England and our car showrooms and open markets are still closed (not that I want a new car, but a wander around a market would be nice).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:27 am

groundhog wrote:
Recall being in France a couple of years ago and knew we had to catch the ferry home except we had no idea what the day or date was that we were currently enjoying! Had to phone my 97 year old Aunt in England to ask her for guidance! so_sad
On our first ever trip to France was in the back of beyond and wanted diesel. Couldn’t see any pump with that name on it. I even asked a lorry driver in my best French with gesticulations to no avail. Not wanting the nightmare of having to drain the tank if I put in the wrong fuel I phoned a friend in London who works as a spy in the French Embassy in London. Solved.
allthumbz
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:30 am

Fortunately my pill box has the initial of the day on the lid of each compartment or I'd be lost!
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:33 am

I certainly feel time is going faster, even if we all know it can't. It's hard to believe we are into June already, I've done a double take more than once when writing the date down  Whistle1

Our bins go out on a Thursday, not sure why you need to know that though  lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:14 am

Going bloody slowly here, everything done, nothing pending. Been awaiting new MH since early April, arrives Monday, then thing's will speed up!!!!

up! hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:21 am

Outside the rally tent at La Manga when we were there over Christmas there was a board with the date displayed on it. Just as well, after a week we needed to keep checking. Missing were name tags for everyone so we could make sure we remembered what we were called as well.

At the moment, with nothing more exciting on the calendar than Tesco deliveries, we’re in danger of forgetting how to hold a proper conversation as well as everything else.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

Peter Brown wrote:Fortunately my pill box has the initial of the day on the lid of each compartment or I'd be lost!
So does mine, but I'm still lost.

I bought it in France!!  snigger
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:36 pm

One curious effect of the lockdown is the speed with which we reach the daily cocktail hour!  In March, when first confined to barracks, Mrs C and I agreed that we would be careful with our alcohol intake - still basking in the self-righteousness of Dry January and a little beyond. But we agreed that it might be nice to have an apéritif after 6:00pm. And I had the good idea of working our way through those myriad bottles of peculiar stuff which tasted good abroad but somehow wasn't so good at home. They languished in the back of a cupboard.
I am pleased to report that excellent progress is being made. The bottle of Bekerovka bought in the country then called Czechoslovakia has gone, but the 45 percent Pastis called Fanny is resisting. Various others have also been eliminated. The 75 percent Cayman Rum is being jealously guarded.

Our permitted daily local walk tends to be done with an eye on the clock!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:42 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Fortunately my pill box has the initial of the day on the lid of each compartment or I'd be lost!
Peter might be interested in getting one...presumably from Amazon, but I would want the deluxe version which shows the year as well. Now that would be really useful.

hugegrins
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 am

Cymro wrote:One curious effect of the lockdown is the speed with which we reach the daily cocktail hour!  In March, when first confined to barracks, Mrs C and I agreed that we would be careful with our alcohol intake - still basking in the self-righteousness of Dry January and a little beyond. But we agreed that it might be nice to have an apéritif after 6:00pm. And I had the good idea of working our way through those myriad bottles of peculiar stuff which tasted good abroad but somehow wasn't so good at home. They languished in the back of a cupboard.
I am pleased to report that excellent progress is being made. The bottle of Bekerovka bought in the country then called Czechoslovakia has gone, but the 45 percent Pastis called Fanny is resisting. Various others have also been eliminated. The 75 percent Cayman Rum is being jealously guarded.

Our permitted daily local walk tends to be done with an eye on the clock!

Cymro

We have some of those curious bottles lurking in our drinks cupboard, those we no longer find so appealing usually end up being used for cooking. The one that defies even that is a bottle of Hungarian liqueur, gifted to us many years ago, called Unicum Zwack  scratch head It has a taste which is hard to describe, possibly a combination of cough syrup and a heartburn remedy? 

I'm now wondering if it might work as a cat repellant in the garden  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:38 am

We've also found the sun goes down over the yardarm sooner than it used to, and if it doesn't go quick enough, my wife says it must be five o'clock somewhere...

During the panic buying spree we got down to this. Bought in Austria mainly because of the pretty label...
I think I'll use the rest as a substitute metal polish.
Al.
Is time passing faster? 20200611
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 pm

Since we were in Australia last November and December I only know what day it is by our daughters calendar and her shifts. Management retiring when we came back didn’t help.
Before lockdown I could plan my time between trips out, lunch out and appointments. Now we seem to have our lives geared round prescriptions running out and what bin goes out what week.
I am sure time went faster when I knew we were going out for the day on Sunday. Hopefully time will fly by when I know we are allowed out overnight.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:07 pm

Dave 418 wrote:Now we seem to have our lives geared round prescriptions running out and what bin goes out what week.
This is true except tonight I got it wrong and had to swap the bins over after my error was pointed out. How I ever held down a responsible job I will never know.

scratch head
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 pm

I have to check the council web site for bin days they have a bad habit of missing our bin. I thought I had got my days mixed up even to the point of asking management what day it was.
On the last occasion I chased after them to be told it’s because of lockdown we have to adjust the dates. That was mad because they emptied next doors bin on both sides.
This reminds me its Tuesday tomorrow week two so brown bin. I am sure that was last week or has time gone by quicker than I think.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:18 am

black bin today, even tho ours hardly had anything in it.
when I moved recycle blue bin out of the way to get bye, there seemed to be a lot of weight in that and a lot clattering of " glass bottles". Another curious  lockdown effect happening ??
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:17 am

Dave 418 wrote:I have to check the council web site for bin days they have a bad habit of missing our bin. I thought I had got my days mixed up even to the point of asking management what day it was.
On the last occasion I chased after them to be told it’s because of lockdown we have to adjust the dates. That was mad because they emptied next doors bin on both sides.
This reminds me its Tuesday tomorrow week two so brown bin. I am sure that was last week or has time gone by quicker than I think.

Dave, time may well be going faster but we still have a Tuesday every week  snigger

We get a free calendar from Lidl in January and I mark it with which bins go out on each Thursday for the whole year. Works very well but can anyone tell me where my calendar is  scratch head hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:02 am

Whilst Cardiff Council has an arrogant Highways Department, its Refuse Collection Department is helpful. They offer ( and I have gladly taken up) a weekly reminder service whereby I receive, on the evening before collection) a text message and an email which tell me (in Welsh) what is due to be collected the following day. 

Maybe your local authority offers such a service?

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next