The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB

5 posters

Go down

Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB Empty Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB

Post by Jama Sat May 16, 2020 11:38 am

Can I ask advice please  
Due to lockdown for corvid 19 could some one tell me what I should do with black shut down electric switch for the van.
I have just had new battery fitted and it is fully charged.   Also have a solar panel.  At the moment no mains electric is going in the van. Upto now I have always left it alone as we have upto date used motorhome each month. 
Help would be appreciated 
Jama  confused3
Jama

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB Empty Shut off switch

Post by Mids Sat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi I  plug my into the mains and leave it on for 24 hours
This keeps both batteries charged  with the smart charger.on a 2019 Broadway eb. No problem  so far .engine starts first time.motorhome has been off the drive  for  at least  8 months
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB Empty Re: Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 16, 2020 12:22 pm

You should have a Sargent EC500 system in your van so this advice is for that.

If possible, connect to an EHU for 24 hrs each week and the EC500 smart charging will charge both Leisure and Vehicle batteries and will not harm them.

If that is not possible, switch off the EC500 with the top LH black switch. This will stop any drain from the leisure battery and if you have one fitted, send all charge from a solar panel to the leisure battery. If your van has the 'red' position on the ignition switch, use that to disconnect the vehicle battery other wise remove the negative connection from that battery.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB Empty Re: Black shut off electric switch in Broadway EB

Post by Cymro Sat May 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Given that your 2016 Broadway has a solar panel, that should be sufficient at this time of year to keep both batteries adequately charged (especially if the solar panel is the larger capacity one). You need do nothing. Do not select battery on the Sargent control panel (i.e. do not have the tell-tale blue light on): the current from the panel will be shared between both batteries, keeping them OK.

However, if it's possible to connect to mains, then as Mids says, a regular charge from the mains will be adequate.

I'm afraid I don't know what you're referring to as the "black electric shut down switch for the van." Is it on the Sergant box? A precise description, or better a photograph, would greatly assist. But be that as it may, I think you'll probably be OK by leaving well alone - as long as you've nothing running on the 12v system (such as an alarm or lights).

Cymro

PS: Having started to type above, I nipped out to my van to search for a black switch. Now I'm back and have sent this, I've seen Peter's. I have the 328, not the 500 system, so I have no black switch!  Hence this postscript.

Last edited by Cymro on Sat May 16, 2020 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Jama Sat May 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Thank you all. I have a photo but I don’t know how to send it to the forum
Jama

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat May 16, 2020 1:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for instructions.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 16, 2020 1:45 pm

Is it like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Jama Sat May 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Yes. That’s it - the black button on the left
Thank You I understand now.

Last edited by Jama on Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Jama

Female

Back to top Go down