The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You gotta larf

+2
kaspian
steamdrivenandy
6 posters

Go down

You gotta larf Empty You gotta larf

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Like most owners, I understand, we haven't used our bread maker in a while, so we decided to blow off the cobwebs and give it a try to help reduce trips to the village shop.Mrs SDA decided she'd load it and set it going and after 8 hours a slightly rustic Rustic style French loaf appeared. 

This lunchtime I had the honour of cutting the first few slices. The crust came off fine, but as I launched into the second slice our faithful bread knife hit something very hard and wouldn't cut any further. Closer inspection revealed it was hitting something embedded in the bread, something made of hard plastic. Even closer inspection revealed the dual end measuring spoon supplied with the bread maker. It was undamaged but fully incorporated in the loaf.

I couldn't resist showing it to the baker, who swore that she looked in the bowl before filling it with ingredients and remembers wondering where the measuring spoon had gone.

Doh!
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

You gotta larf Empty Re: You gotta larf

Post by kaspian Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Wow you are lucky ,my son makes his own pizza and tried 3 large supermarkets today to buy flour and yeast without success!  Even saw desperate customers contemplating the few tinned steak and kidney puddings and the Fray Bentos pies in a tin  left on the otherwise bare shelves along with 4 very bashed cans of soup. They've all gone mad.....
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:10 pm

My son tells me that he's discovered Fray Bentos tinned pies are very good and have long shelf lives. I can vaguely remember them from when my mum fed us them at lunchtime in the '50's. IIRC they were quite tasty.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mam0809 Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:22 pm

HaHa we always have a couple of Fray Bentos pies in our motorhome and I said to my hubbie today we could always have pie and chips , he said what pie and I said this one I have taken out of the motorhome LOL 
I love the steak and the cheese ones and they are great for that first night in the motorhome before we have done a shop.
mam0809
mam0809
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : executive
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Excuse me asking, but don`t Motor homers take any food with them when going away? I only ask as I am surprised at the amount of MH homers / caravanners who as soon as they pitch up they go shopping.

We take all with us for most days we are away. like to be independent, we still pay for other things in the local area we are visiting,to help their community. We always have a stock in at home would hate to run out of anything.

No FB tins though, never buy tinned pies they are reconstituted meat. my husband knows as he worked where pies are made.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am

When we cleared my fathers house we found his stash of FB pies and puddings. I think his diet was pie and chips or pudding and chips. He was brought up in the Manchester area.
Most were out of date but we tried them to no ill effect. The last ones went with us in the van.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mam0809 Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:38 pm

daisy mae wrote:Excuse me asking, but don`t Motor homers take any food with them when going away?  I only ask as I am surprised at the amount of MH homers / caravanners who as soon as they pitch up they go shopping.

We take all with us for most days we are away. like to be independent, we still pay for other things in the local area we are visiting,to help their community. We always have a stock in at home would hate to run out of anything.

No FB tins though, never buy tinned pies they are reconstituted meat. my husband knows as he worked where pies are made.

Hi Daisy Mae ,

The answer to this for us is no! Living on the Isle of Man our first stop in Heysham is Asda; part of the fun of our motor-homing holidays is the ability to stock up on different food from asda, aldi and Lidl both for the time we are away and also to take back home for the freezer. 
shrugg This might sound sad but we only have the choice of Tesco at very inflated prices at home. 

My payload on my motorhome going home on the boat must be at least 3tonnes over weight LOL
mam0809
mam0809
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:57 pm

What about Shoprite? We found their shops on the IoM a refreshing change. A surprising mixture of Waitrose and Iceland with Irish products as well. We stocked up before returning to the mainland and the goodies were very welcome after a horrendous crossing.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:59 pm

I didn`t know that the Isle of Man was so short on super markets, must confess never thought about it, my friend when she went there didn`t mention that, know what you mean about Tesco`s inflated prices, I don`t shop at Tescos here then I am fortunate that I do have a choice,

No different really for when we use to go on the continent, we stocked up with wine, cheese etc. that was years ago guess the prices have risen by now.So enjoy you shopping sprees. A real treat.
Best regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by mam0809 Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Tinwheeler wrote:What about Shoprite? We found their shops on the IoM a refreshing change. A surprising mixture of Waitrose and Iceland with Irish products as well. We stocked up before returning to the mainland and the goodies were very welcome after a horrendous crossing.

Tinwheeler,

Shop Sh..te (as the locals call it!) are OK at a push but the prices are even higher than Tesco's so we tend not to use them on a regular basis. 
As a comparison one apple in shoprite  =55p one bag at aldi =50p. And a loaf of bread starts at £1.50 compared to 50p in Aldi
mam0809
mam0809
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 pm

This shortage of loo rolls reminded me and management about the outside loo at her parents house and my grandparents in the Oldham area.
Due to the damp Izal toilet roll was the only one that wouldn’t go soggy before using. I thought it was strange grandma and grandad had news paper hanging on a nail behind the door. For years I thought it was for reading when using the loo.
As a side thought my grandparents had a car sump heater to stop the loo from freezing the winter. Any one remember those??.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:58 pm

I remember visiting a friends uncle and aunt in South Wales in about '68 and they had an outside loo at their farmhouse. I also remember my first visit to my future grandma in law in Sheffield in 1975 and having to use her loo just outside the back door. Can't remember what sort of toilet paper was in use but I do remember the 'glazed' Izal stuff. I never realised the coating was to stop it going limp in the damp of outside toilets, but that makes sense.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum