The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inf on AC unit - Leisure Battery - Sat Nav

+2
Roopert
hpatel
6 posters

Go down

Inf on AC unit - Leisure Battery - Sat Nav Empty Inf on AC unit - Leisure Battery - Sat Nav

Post by hpatel Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi I have an auto sleeper Symbol Plus 2019 (Boxer Van) – does anyone know which are the best options to have on the following

• An AC unit on the roof – it got to be small

• Best spare Leisure Battery

• A good Sat Nav dish – again its got to be small and take SKY – roof mounted and automatic

Good installers around Beds and Bucks

I am new to this so any help would be useful.

Harry
hpatel
hpatel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Inf on AC unit - Leisure Battery - Sat Nav Empty Re: Inf on AC unit - Leisure Battery - Sat Nav

Post by Roopert Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:41 pm

hpatel wrote:

• An AC unit on the roof – it got to be small

Hello Harry,

To pick on one of your three - air con will depend very much on where/when you're planning to travel, because a Symbol Plus is a moderately large van in terms of internal volume. A small rooftop-mounted unit may just about be adequate to provide a limited flow of coolish air during the 3 or 4 hot days that we get in the UK each year, but if you're planning to go to, for example, Mediterranean climates you will find the results very disappointing. The size of heat exchanger inside the unit is determined by its external size, so if you must have a small unit, it will inevitably have similarly small cooling capacity.

If you decide that you need one that's big enough to provide actual useful cooling when it's really hot out, you will need a big unit - which in itself is a problem with roof-mounted, because the result is that you have a heavy device high up on the van, which adversely affects handling!

If you can say a bit more about what your expectations are, and where you are planning to travel, you'll probably get more useful advice.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Inf on AC unit - Leisure Battery - Sat Nav Empty Re: Inf on AC unit - Leisure Battery - Sat Nav

Post by rgermain Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:06 pm

asof_welcome2
I was talking to a couple of AS PVC owners last summer in Dorset as they had AC mounted on the roof as standard. They both said hardly ever used when I asked them.

Also they tend to use CL sites, so off EHU which will present a problem.

We travel in France much more than here and only a couple of times wished we had AC, a small electric fan keeps us cool and the Jack Russell.

Sorry don't take TV and find the supplied battery is good for our use with a solar panel.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:32 pm

My air con packed up so as we don't go overseas and like to use no hook up sites during summer, we had the air con removed and replaced it with another rooflight, more light and more ventilation when required.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 pm

I would have not to have Aircon and place it well above a satellite dish. But we do most of our touring in Europe in June and September. We have a Fresher 1700 and it is very effective and frequently used.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by hpatel Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks Guys for all your Advice - I will take your feedback and look around the NEC in February
Harry
hpatel
hpatel

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:30 am

Remember that the weight of any of these items will reduce your available payload, so that needs checking out.

Also think about combining a fitting with a trip, rather than limiting yourself to local fitters who may not be such good value/experienced.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down