The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mdf. ???

4 posters

Go down

Mdf. ??? Empty Mdf. ???

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:28 am

Hi all, anyone know what type of wood is used in the door frames etc...  I ask because my bedroom entrance door sticks at the bottom, it’s about 1mm tight.... there are probably several ways to stop it....cut a little relief for the hinge..or..cut away the Door jamb A little ....or take a slice of the door edge.....all these require cutting into the wood and then re staining

I’m inclined to just take a slice of the door jamb or frame, I think it’s probably mdf but if anyone knows better I’d appreciate the knowledge

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Mdf. ??? Empty Re: Mdf. ???

Post by Slaphead Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:57 am

Ray, my washroom door goes like that in winter weather, due I am sure from increasing humidity in the van.  One of the reasons I maintain an oil filled radiator and dehumidifier over the winter months of inactivity.

If the sticking problem is recent perhaps this may be the reason?

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi Dave I was just about to update the thread....I’ve relieved the bottom hinge into the jamb....it’s only a MM...it’s cheap fibre board...
I accept your point, however I always run a dehumidifier in there in winte and I’ve waited 2 years for it to show any change so I think the issue was just really the swelling of the wood over time and just poor assembly really though that is a bit harsh..
It’s not unreasonable to expect a little movement over time and it was just the bottom hinge really..

Thanks for commenting...glad I bought my Dremmel....

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:03 pm

I've found from experience that in larger coachbuilts the floor/walls move as you travel and that impacts on clearances in furniture doors. 98% of the time my bathroom door is a perfect fit but sometimes when I pitch it catches and other times won't stay closed.

I spent ages a few years ago trying to 'ease' a sticking kitchen cupboard door without leaving visible sign only to find next time we were on site it was back to where it should have been.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:21 pm

You should see the locking mechanisms on - I'm not certain the precise make - German motorhome doors. It's either Malibu or GlobeCar. You lever the handle down to open the door, the catch goes into the door as you would expect, and stays there. When you push the door shut, the door frame has a magnet in it which pulls the catch into its notch. It is superb.
My next motorhome will be German, I have come to the conclusion that 'everything German is better than everything else' hugegrins
Unfortunately.
Except that Mercedes cars older than 1993 are far better than the new ones.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum