The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plenty at Tewkesbury

+3
nuevoboy
Bad Penny
Paulmold
7 posters

Go down

Plenty at Tewkesbury Empty Plenty at Tewkesbury

Post by Paulmold Wed 9 Oct 2019 - 10:48

Broadway, Duetto, Nuevo, Corinium Duo. That's on only half of the site, haven't walked around the other half yet. Any members here?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Plenty at Tewkesbury Empty Re: Plenty at Tewkesbury

Post by Paulmold Wed 9 Oct 2019 - 12:04

Walked around other half and there's another Duetto, a Symbol and an Executive with a toad.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Wed 9 Oct 2019 - 13:29

Paul, I have read complaints about this site, regarding privacy on pitches since the refurbishment. We used this site many times before the refurb.

What do you think?

Regards Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed 9 Oct 2019 - 15:18

Can't see any problems. Pitches are well spaced apart. It's one of the few sites that don't close toilets until the afternoon which I think should be adopted by all sites. 
There is an error on the CAMC booking app, it gives only a choice of standard pitch with or without awning or a serviced pitch. It doesn't give the option of Hardstanding . We were given grass pitch so I asked reception how to book Hardstanding. They weren't aware of the error so phoned head office in front of me and it will be altered, in the meantime they suggest you ring site direct.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Wed 9 Oct 2019 - 15:56

Thanks for your reply Paul, plus extra info.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Wed 9 Oct 2019 - 15:57

Thanks for your reply Paul, plus extra info.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Thu 10 Oct 2019 - 9:14

Last time we were there (around this time of year), they were having to tow 'vans off the site and it was becoming a right mess.
Some of the problems were caravan users, driving their cars over the grass between the 'vans instead of using a prescribed access.
How many hardstanding pitches are there now Paul and how is the site looking, given the wet weather we've had lately?
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Thu 10 Oct 2019 - 9:14

Oops.

Last edited by nuevoboy on Thu 10 Oct 2019 - 9:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Duplication)
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu 10 Oct 2019 - 9:38

Lots of Hardstandings now. (I think the website quotes 125 but I haven't counted). Most grass pitches are now under fleece to help grass regrow, they have to keep 25 grass for use now (don't know why) . A little rutted at edges where pitch meets road. The pitch we are on slopes slightly backwards so I expressed my concern about messing up the pitch when we leave and was told ' if you start spinning, stop and tell us and we'll get mats to help you off'. Luckily since we've been here we've only had a little rain so we may not have a problem.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu 10 Oct 2019 - 10:20

Paulmold wrote:Broadway, Duetto, Nuevo, Corinium Duo. That's on only half of the site, haven't walked around the other half yet. Any members here?
I thought you were cheating Paul and was parked up at Marquis motorhomes.     hugegrins    .enjoy your wee trip away.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu 10 Oct 2019 - 10:39

There's another Corinium - belongs to one of the wardens. 
No-one else here then or maybe they're avoiding me!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri 11 Oct 2019 - 17:34

Paulmold wrote:The pitch we are on slopes slightly backwards so I expressed my concern about messing up the pitch when we leave and was told ' if you start spinning, stop and tell us and we'll get mats to help you off'. Luckily since we've been here we've only had a little rain so we may not have a problem.
I spoke too soon regards the rain. It chucked it down yesterday evening and most of the night so this morning ground looked very soft, muddy and puddled. As we were packing up, one of the wardens came over and reiterated the advice if his colleague to stop if spinning and they would help with mats. As it happens we drove off pitch fine, whether that was my expert driving or the Michelin Agilis Camper tyres, I'm not sure.   Whistle1
Having left Tewkesbury we've travelled home through some torrential rain.
Seeing as the fair (Tewkesbury Mop Fair) didn't finish until 10.30pm last night, there was no sign of it having been there by 10am , they must have their packing up, off to a fine art.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri 11 Oct 2019 - 21:33

Found the Michelin Agilis Camping tyres , great when getting of the grass at Newlands camp site last Sunday. heavy rain all through Saturday night, as all all week, so well pleased with them.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat 12 Oct 2019 - 13:56

Paulmold wrote:
Paulmold wrote:The pitch we are on slopes slightly backwards so I expressed my concern about messing up the pitch when we leave and was told ' if you start spinning, stop and tell us and we'll get mats to help you off'. Luckily since we've been here we've only had a little rain so we may not have a problem.
I spoke too soon regards the rain. It chucked it down yesterday evening and most of the night so this morning ground looked very soft, muddy and puddled. As we were packing up, one of the wardens came over and reiterated the advice if his colleague to stop if spinning and they would help with mats. As it happens we drove off pitch fine, whether that was my expert driving or the Michelin Agilis Camper tyres, I'm not sure.   Whistle1
Having left Tewkesbury we've travelled home through some torrential rain.
Seeing as the fair (Tewkesbury Mop Fair) didn't finish until 10.30pm last night, there was no sign of it having been there by 10am , they must have their packing up, off to a fine art.
Talking about Mob fair Paul, as a wee kid visiting Yate, we used to go to the Chipping Sodbury Mop, had a great time, loud music (Rolling Stones Kinks, Yardbirds) , came home with bags of goldfish.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat 12 Oct 2019 - 16:04

Thanks Paul, never heard about it, Mop fair that is, another one for the too do list smile!
------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat 12 Oct 2019 - 17:58

rgermain wrote:Thanks Paul, never heard about it, Mop fair that is, another one for the too do list smile!
------------
Richard
There were some big fairground attractions for a touring fair.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Sat 12 Oct 2019 - 18:55

It's probably a good idea when touring to check out local attractions.
A few years back I organised a cycling weekend for a group of friends in Leominster.
We did a trial run a month or so ahead, to check routes etc. but when we arrived for the weekend itself, the fairground was parked up right outside our B&B.

The following year we booked to stay at Tewkesbury (probably at this time of year) and arrived at the same time as the Mop Fair. To be honest, from the C&MC site, the racket wasn't too bad, but it was definitely the loudest fair I've ever come across.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat 12 Oct 2019 - 19:45

We could hardly hear the fair at all but we were on the farthest side away from the fair.
We actually heard more noise from the rugby club next door with cars leaving there.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Sun 13 Oct 2019 - 19:02

Paulmold wrote:Can't see any problems. Pitches are well spaced apart. It's one of the few sites that don't close toilets until the afternoon which I think should be adopted by all sites. 
There is an error on the CAMC booking app, it gives only a choice of standard pitch with or without awning or a serviced pitch. It doesn't give the option of Hardstanding . We were given grass pitch so I asked reception how to book Hardstanding. They weren't aware of the error so phoned head office in front of me and it will be altered, in the meantime they suggest you ring site direct.

Hi Paul, it looks like I've just been lumbered with organising our annual cyclefest next year in Tewkesbury.

I'm a bit confused over your previous post (above).
Are you saying that there is now an option to pre-book a hardstanding pitch?
Never known that with the C&MC before.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun 13 Oct 2019 - 19:59

Yes if you look at the CAMC app it asks to select a pitch type. At the moment it only shows 'standard pitch with awning', ' standard without awning' and 'serviced pitch' which has own tap and drain. There should be 'hardstanding (known at Tewkesbury as multi-surface). At the moment if you want Hardstanding you are best to phone site, hopefully the app will be altered to show correct pitch choice. If you choose 'standard' at the moment you will get a grass pitch.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Sun 13 Oct 2019 - 21:20

Thanks Paul.
I ain't got an app, just old-fashioned computer.
I'd looked at the website after one of your posts and it said they only had something like 30-odd hardstandings.
It was a bit confusing about the multi-surface pitches too, or perhaps it was just me.

As you suggest, I'll give the site ring once I get confirmation dates of our cycle trip.
Thanks again, especially for all your tips on this forum.
Cheers, nuevoboy.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon 14 Oct 2019 - 15:20

Was at Tewksbury site last night [Sunday, 13th Oct]. first time there since its major refurb. I'd booked us on to a "multi-surface" pitch. That's a pitch which has hardstanding of bricks and adjacent grass area for awning. There are also traditional gravel hardstandings, as well as grass.

Notwithstanding that I've modified the handbrake lever as per Gromit's suggestion, it's easier to swivel the driver's seat by lowering the handbrake lever - especially as I have an extender on it. So normally, on a gravel pitch, I allow the van to find its own stationary point (unless - very rarely - ramps are needed) and then I leave it in gear, with handbrake down. I then chock the wheels as a safeguard.

However, on the multi surface pitch, there's no rolling resistance like gravel, so unless the pitch is perfectly level, the van will roll without handbrake. OK, leaving in gear will be enough, but I don't want all that stress on the gearbox.

So I won't use the multi-surface again.

The site is very well refurbished. Interesting to see all the ECU bollards at at least double height, to keep the outlets above flood level.

Incidentally, also stayed at Buxton last week - also well refurbished: even the quarry cliffs are floodlit.

Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Mon 14 Oct 2019 - 15:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon 14 Oct 2019 - 15:39

The traditional gravel pitches are the serviced pitches with own tap and own drain, neither really necessary for a motorhome and they cost more.
Did you book via the call-centre or direct to site or through club ?. I ask because I use the club booking app on my phone or tablet and that's where I couldn't book anything but standard pitch which are grass.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon 14 Oct 2019 - 16:52

I booked Tewksbury by phone, as it happened (because the computer system was down).  I didn't realize that the "hardstanding" would be not-quite-level brickwork rather than gravel. It was fine, but I'd have preferred gravel.

By the way, many thanks for the parking suggestion at Lichfield. Went to Beacon Park - easy, and the park was splendid. And as for the cathedral.... stunning.

Nuevo behaved perfectly. Left heating on overnight (set to a low temp) and used external TaylorMade silver screens. Snug as bugs.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down