The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water in underseat locker

+4
Cymro
Paramedic
Gromit
Lucyc1937
8 posters

Go down

Water in underseat locker Empty Water in underseat locker

Post by Lucyc1937 Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:21 am

For the last couple of mornings, I have found water in under seat locker behind drivers seat, this appears to be coming from plastic cover of gas fill pipe, we have had very heavy rain for the the last couple of nights, we were in milder area and are now North East coast. Has anyone else had this problem, we have a fixed gas tank. 
Peter (LucyC)
Lucyc1937
Lucyc1937
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Water in underseat locker Empty Re: Water in underseat locker

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 am

Hi Peter

Yes and No.

Not exactly the same scenario, but your van is the same vintage as ours and there was a problem with some of the seals on the external appliances. The gas and 240 volt electric outlets in our case.

We had new and modified seals fitted at no cost by our dealer, but the van was still less than three years old at the time. If yours is the same problem the seals should be replaced free of charge, since there was clearly a tacit admission that they were faulty as fitted during the van build.

I think it was something to do with the adhesive, but it would certainly be worth your while contacting your dealer first as it's primarily their responsibility, then A/S if you get no joy.

I have to add that we were only alerted to the problem via the habitation damp check. Ours didn't let in anything like the amount of water you found.

Hope this helps

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Gromit wrote:Hi Peter

Yes and No.

Not exactly the same scenario, but your van is the same vintage as ours and there was a problem with some of the seals on the external appliances. The gas and 240 volt electric outlets in our case.
Similarly, degrading sealant surrounding our EHU and LPG filling point was responsible for 30% damp readings under offside seat storage and sink unit on habitation check three years ago. Fortunately, under dealer warranty with replacement of better seals. Most effective as damp recording was just 8% the following year. Interestingly, our first outing in the two year old van did see much water sloshing under same seating caused by a fault with the Whale filling system that failed to switch the pump off resulting in water pressure escaping from a pipe joint. Reported to Mark Burdett who confirmed other occurrences probably due to a solenoid problem.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:15 pm

I picked up this issue shortly after collecting our new Nuevo in 2015. I think I reported it to the Forum at the time. I had it sorted by Willersey. I was told that there was no, or inadequate, sealant around the gas and electricity external outlets. Likewise no sealant in the folded skirt, which admitted water into the skirt locker. No problem since the remedial work.

Sounds like Lucyc1937 has a similar issue.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:43 pm

After about 3 years the sealant around my Whale inlet failed allowing water into that locker. I had to pay for the resealing.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:51 am

We too had the same seals problem as Paramedic, detected damp at habitation check and repaired at AS. All has been fine since.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:55 am

Snap, same vintage, same issues. We had ours returned to Willersley for remedial work and, like others, no problems since (and I do check regularly  Whistle1)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Over this very very wet weekend  I found some water  in the ns locker  could be the outside locker door   gas , or electric socket  could not find an entry point  ?.
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 am

Molly3 wrote:Over this very very wet weekend  I found some water  in the ns locker  could be the outside locker door   gas , or electric socket  could not find an entry point  ?.
Hi Molly3, Unlikely to be via LPG and or EHU points (as was our experience) as any such ingress would be identified by high damp readings in the sidewall rather than overt water seen on the floor surface. Suggest any heavy rainfall accompanied by strong winds may have entered your near side locker by breaching the surrounding rubber seal? Regards.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 am

In my case, small pools were found near the 2 utility sockets. They had not been sealed. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:43 am

I used talc (after drying the locker floor) spread along the join between wall and floor. A showering with a hose should show up if there is a source of leakage if failing seals are the problem.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am

I had drops of water under the gas inlet on the inside but the water filler adjacent was dry. going back to dealer next week under warranty, AS said gas had to be disconnected  to fix leak and would take approx 1 hour to fix
Peter

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Paramedic wrote:
Molly3 wrote:Over this very very wet weekend  I found some water  in the ns locker  could be the outside locker door   gas , or electric socket  could not find an entry point  ?.
Hi Molly3, Unlikely to be via LPG and or EHU points (as was our experience) as any such ingress would be identified by high damp readings in the sidewall rather than overt water seen on the floor surface. Suggest any heavy rainfall accompanied by strong winds may have entered your near side locker by breaching the surrounding rubber seal? Regards.
Have to agree , the rain was heavy for a long time , we keep bedding in that locker so a leak is trouble .personally I would prefer not to have an opening  outside locker  door  .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Molly3 wrote:
Have to agree , the rain was heavy for a long time , we keep bedding in that locker so a leak is trouble .personally I would prefer not to have an opening  outside locker  door  .
Hi Molly3, furthermore, recall our previous vans (Nuevo and Broadway) with the outside locker door, was a constant source of draft proving the surrounding internal seal was ineffectual. There have been previous posts complaining of water ingress with this design of exterior locker door, some where there was no rubber seal as such along the top edge when opened.

Male

Back to top Go down