The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wing mirror replacement

3 posters

Go down

Wing mirror replacement Empty Wing mirror replacement

Post by crisp Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:01 am

As I have now had two occasions where wing mirrors have been broken by oncoming traffic I am wondering if its personal. I try to keep to my own side of the road, slow down when it gets narrow, try to keep my nearside mirror as close to or even in the hedge. Still I am pursued by those who want to travel at at least 50, then say " I thought that was going to be close" or "its just your word against mine"
Getting to the point where I think I will just drive down the middle of small lanes and see if that improves the lifetime of the mirrors. At least this time it was only the protective cover that went.
Why doesn't everyone drive as well as me????hugegrins
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Wing mirror replacement Empty Re: Wing mirror replacement

Post by RML Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:54 am

After losing an offside mirror in similar circumstances I replaced both with the short arm type.  I have a Fiat base and it took some persuading at the dealers to fit a non standard mirror as the chassis type and number described the longest arms for my van.  The dealer said ... you won't see anything behind you as the short arms are tight to the door... even though my van is very narrow at only an inch or two wider than the cab.  However it worked and even the dealer said that the OEM mirrors were ridiculously wide and a sitting target for another van in a tight lane.  The Fiat mirrors come in 3 sizes and I now have the shortest and they look great and I can see as much as before.  ....I'm still a tad apprehensive in tight spots as this was an expensive exercise.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Sounds like an option RML but my mirror also contains the temp sensor and wireless antenna, as well as the heated glass. Hate to think how much the complete set would cost and I bet someone would still manage to hit it!!watching_f1
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 pm

crisp wrote:Sounds like an option RML but my mirror also contains the temp sensor and wireless antenna, as well as the heated glass. Hate to think how much the complete set would cost and I bet someone would still manage to hit it!!watching_f1
Incredibly we suffered only a distorted image to the mirror glass when struck by an oncoming vehicle that wondered over the double white lines. A frightening bang as the mirror slammed against the cab and the glass dangling from the wiring. Obviously the Mirror Guards®️ protected our mirror whereas his was completely knocked off with splinters off the mirror arms strewn across the road and he didn't stop. Fortunately the incident was captured by the dash cam where his insurance immediately accepted liability to the tune of £900. Surprisingly it was normal practice for our local Peugeot dealer to replace the whole mirror assembly that cost 453.08. We didn't mind as we were not paying.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down