The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway 2009 Laminate peeling off door

+3
Gromit
Paramedic
Wanda
7 posters

Go down

Broadway 2009 Laminate peeling off door Empty Broadway 2009 Laminate peeling off door

Post by Wanda Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 am

Our Motorhome wasn't used over winter and was outside (with a Motorhome cover). Just before our first trip out this year we noticed the laminate front of the bathroom door is peeling off several inches along the entire length. This is from the door facing the kitchen area and it is peeling from the hinged edge. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so can you recommend how to fix this. Many thanks.
Wanda
Wanda

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Broadway 2009 Laminate peeling off door Empty Re: Broadway 2009 Laminate peeling off door

Post by Paramedic Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am

Hi Wanda, experienced the same delamination on our previous 09 reg Broadway bathroom door. The whole length of the door was effected on the hinge side where you could put your hand inside up to half the width. Used Evo-Stik multi-purpose Impact (Instant Contact Adhesive) so as to spray as far as possible into the 'envelope' ..... the gap between the laminate and door. Like you would do if hanging wallpaper, squeeze the air out and fix some masking tape along the leading edge to ensure the laminate remains in place whilst it dries. After use hold the can upside down and press nozzle to clear away any residual adhesive.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Broadway 2009 Laminate peeling off door Empty Re: Broadway 2009 Laminate peeling off door

Post by Gromit Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 am

I think my first, and fairly speedy action would be to get the van checked for damp.

Opinions vary, but I don't like the idea of a cover which restricts the free flow of air around, and through the van via the several ventilation areas - not all of which are readily apparent. (The frame of the Heki for example.)

The reason for the de-lamination might be something else entirely, but the dreaded damp is a possible candidate.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:02 am

Not had that problem, but on the edges of doors, panels etc they use an adhesive strip of the laminate. Sometimes the adhesive can decompose an "let go"

I hesitate to say what sort of adhesive is used in your case, but sometimes it is a self adhesive contact type, other times it is heat activated when applied.

If you know the history of your motorhome, you will know if the door ever got wet for any reason around this area, the most common cause of this adhesive failure.
The good news is it should be possible to glue it back down before it gets damaged.

Evo-stick brush-on contact adhesive is good for this, but you need to apply it to both surfaces and let it go tacky. Test the strip just up to the point where it feels secure (pull more off) then cut it at his point (unless it all comes of, of course) so you can apply the new adhesive to both surfaces. Stick it back on using a little pressure and you should be good to go. It will stick instantly.

Excess adhesive can be removed with the proper cleaner, you should find a small tin of this in the same shop you bought the adhesive from. Cleans your fingers too!

Unless you are a masochist, avoid super glue for this job.

Good luck

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:05 pm

On an Amethyst Gem that I was going to buy, the veneer was peeling in many places, also in the cupboards, this I was told by AS it was heat that did it. Didn`t buy .too much to do on it and had damp, I see it has sold now, don`t think the owner has come on this forum.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm

The fact that your MH has been under a cover my have nothing to with your problem. But as Dave says, opinions on using a cover vary. I've had my present van for 9 years now, and it's laid up on the drive every winter. The one and only time it has ever suffered from mildew and mould on surfaces and a general unpleasant smell was the one winter I used a cover. I binned the cover after that, despite it being a six-layer all singing all dancing breathable one, and have had a sweet smelling van ever since.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 pm

I had that problem on my last MH ,the affected panel's we're replaced under warranty ,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down