The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

5 posters

Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by julieonajourney Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Hopefully, we're about to purchase a 2012 Northants (is this the same as a Bourton?) which will be our first MH. Would be really grateful to know if there's anything in particular we should check on the vehicle.

Also, it doesn't have a reversing camera, only parking sensors on the back bumper. Are these likely to be sufficient, along with the rear-view mirror, or do we need to factor in the cost of having a camera fitted? We've been quoted £600 - £700 for this, which seems a lot.

It's only got Grade 1 insulation - is this likely to be sufficient? We'll be travelling mostly in Scotland, probably not in the winter.

Really a total newbie at this - we've never even been away in a MH - so very grateful for any pointers!

Cheers

Julie scratch head think_smiley_46
julieonajourney
julieonajourney
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 8
Joined : 2018-03-19
Location : Ayrshire
Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by Askit Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Sorry Julie, don't know enough about that model to offer you any constructive advice about what to look for before purchasing. The reversing sensors will be a help but I've found the rear view camera (which provides a rear view whilst driving as well as reversing) very useful and I would struggle to be without it now. Unfortunately you, like us, live in this part of the world and that limits the choice of companies who can provide and fit the equipment.

_________________
Tony
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 3509
Joined : 2015-05-16
Member Age : 72
Location : West of Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by kaspian Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi Julie, never heard of that van but I would say reversing sensors are good but a camera is better! That does seem like s silly amount to fit a camera . I fitted a camera and monitor on our  previous coachbuilt and all in it was about £30. Cracking picture from a good quality camera and ran flawlessly for over 6 years of ownership.
         If I could pass on one tip it would be check for damp , then check again , and again! If buying from a dealer ask for written proof of damp checks being carried out. Any claim in future from an insurance backed warranty would demand this as a first step to repair. Insulation should be fine as current grade 3 seems to rely on having a big enough heater installed to counteract losses anyway! 
          I see you are from Ayrshire so may be buying locally from A/s dealer ?  I still have my damp meter and if you would like the van checked to put your mind at rest let me know and I will try and help .
avatar
kaspian
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1364
Joined : 2015-09-27
Member Age : 61
Location : ayrshire - Burns country
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by julieonajourney Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 am

kaspian wrote:Hi Julie, never heard of that van but I would say reversing sensors are good but a camera is better! That does seem like s silly amount to fit a camera . I fitted a camera and monitor on our  previous coachbuilt and all in it was about £30. Cracking picture from a good quality camera and ran flawlessly for over 6 years of ownership.
         If I could pass on one tip it would be check for damp , then check again , and again! If buying from a dealer ask for written proof of damp checks being carried out. Any claim in future from an insurance backed warranty would demand this as a first step to repair. Insulation should be fine as current grade 3 seems to rely on having a big enough heater installed to counteract losses anyway! 
          I see you are from Ayrshire so may be buying locally from A/s dealer ?  I still have my damp meter and if you would like the van checked to put your mind at rest let me know and I will try and help .
Thanks for that.

Did you manage to run the cable for the reversing camera inside the bodywork?

Does a regular damp meter you would use to check a house work for a van, or does that require a particular type? Think we may have a house one around here somewhere. Is it possible to check for damp without damaging the interior of the vehicle (our meter has wee spikes you need to stick in to get a reading)?

We would get a 12 month warranty - will find out exactly how that works and what it covers on Saturday.
julieonajourney
julieonajourney
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 8
Joined : 2018-03-19
Location : Ayrshire
Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by groundhog Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Never tried one but don't forget there are a lot of digital wireless reversing cameras available now if you are worried about wiring one in, £600 to £700 sounds extremely high to me!! confused3
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 4360
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : Poldarkland
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by julieonajourney Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm

groundhog wrote:Never tried one but don't forget there are a lot of digital wireless reversing cameras available now if you are worried about wiring one in, £600 to £700 sounds extremely high to me!! confused3
Presumably a wireless camera still needs some wiring to get power to it though? think_smiley_46
julieonajourney
julieonajourney
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 8
Joined : 2018-03-19
Location : Ayrshire
Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by groundhog Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Sorry can't answer that but someone will be along soon who can.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Posts : 4360
Joined : 2011-08-01
Location : Poldarkland
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by Heanorboy Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 pm

julieonajourney wrote:
groundhog wrote:Never tried one but don't forget there are a lot of digital wireless reversing cameras available now if you are worried about wiring one in, £600 to £700 sounds extremely high to me!! confused3
Presumably a wireless camera still needs some wiring to get power to it though? think_smiley_46
With a wireless  unit they are dependant and a sender and receiver unit.
How you wire it depends on what you want to use it for
1. if to be used as a reversing camera only the norm is to take the power from the wire to the reversing light and this is the easier [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (if however you have  CAM electrics you might have to put a relay in the circuit  like this 
2. if used as a full time camera you will need to find a ignition live wire at the back of the van (again a relay may be required)

The monitor (unless you have a screened radio unit)  will need to be matched i.e. if for 1, to the fused wire for reversing or 2. an ignition live only spare (again a relay might be required dependant on what power the unit takes.

The sender and receiver should ideally be able to "see" each other i.e. nothing to block the signal.

Wired systems will usually give a better more consistent result and apart from getting the wiring all the way from the back to the front usually with the half decent systems will only require one lot of connections (usually from the front of the van so easier to locate which connections required).
I have had several e-bay specials and find that they don't last long.
I stumbled across
 http://www.2seetv.co.uk/
and found them most helpful and although what they sell look similar to the e-bay cheapos I have foundthem different class for not a lot more
Hope this helps
David

_________________
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you are going, and the insight to know when you have gone too far
Heanorboy
Heanorboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 872
Joined : 2016-01-31
Member Age : 72
Location : North Somerset
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

What to check when buying a 2012 Northants Empty Re: What to check when buying a 2012 Northants

Post by julieonajourney Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Thank-you, David. Will check all that out!
julieonajourney
julieonajourney
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 8
Joined : 2018-03-19
Location : Ayrshire
Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum