The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MB Jack

+9
Libraryman2
PLOUGHLIN
crosgor
groundhog
raymondo
willy eckerslike
AndyLouch
chrisk
gemdeco
13 posters

Go down

MB Jack Empty MB Jack

Post by gemdeco Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi 
   Does any one have a MB supplied with their MH if so have you ever used,would you? and where is it stowed
Regards
Alan

Last edited by gemdeco on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

MB Jack Empty Re: MB Jack

Post by chrisk Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm

I bought one for mine it is stored in passenger footwell where feet gp
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Hello Jack, yes, one was supplied with our Winchcombe. It's stowed with a few other tools under the carpet in the nearside footwell.
As for use; no! At 3.8 tonnes I feel that a trolley jack wold be the only safe option, apart from which I cannot remove the wheel bolts with the tool supplied as they are torqued on!
One for the recovery people I fancy!
Cheers, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by willy eckerslike Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:56 pm

We have one which was supplied with our Devon, stowed the same as  Andy and Chrisk. I used it when I fitted air suspension on the rear but the Devon is quite a bit smaller than a Gloucester.changing a rear wheel would be a struggle I think with the the bodywork in the way.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 pm

when I bought my Nuevo  the dealer advised throwing the jack away before I was tempted to use it!
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 pm

There may also be a liquid tyre repair kit and pump in the door, I would be using that for a puncture but am told once used the tyre is toast! I would be looking for something else to support the van as well if using the jack was the only option and agree getting the rear wheel off must be for the experts only!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by crosgor Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 pm

groundhog wrote:There may also be a liquid tyre repair kit and pump in the door, I would be using that for a puncture but am told once used the tyre is toast! I would be looking for something else to support the van as well if using the jack was the only option and agree getting the rear wheel off must be for the experts only!
Contrary to received wisdom the tyre can be repaired and used again, it's just that the tyre fitters ( and Kwik Fit type places) don't like the mess that has to be cleaned out first. Reclaim the tyre yourself and clean it out then find an independent tyre place to repair it.
crosgor
crosgor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : ex-Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm

groundhog wrote:There may also be a liquid tyre repair kit and pump in the door, I would be using that for a puncture but am told once used the tyre is toast! I would be looking for something else to support the van as well if using the jack was the only option and agree getting the rear wheel off must be for the experts only!

Tyre repair container and tyre inflator pump is under the driver's seat behind a drop down flap in the outer side.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 am

Has anyone considered the exhaust inflatable type of jack?
I agree with the potential issues of using the vehicle jack on heavy motorhomes and a trolly jack is just too heavy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 am

Libraryman2 wrote:Has anyone considered the exhaust inflatable type of jack?
I agree with the potential issues of using the vehicle jack on heavy motorhomes and a trolly jack is just too heavy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ray

I've looked at those before Ray, they seem to be a good solution to me, especially at that price.

What do the experts think?
meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Hello Chris, not familiar with that sort of kit I'm afraid. If stuck on the road with a flat I still think I would 'call the cavalry' and put the kettle on whilst waiting! 
Hence the reason for being members of Britannia Rescue (other roadside assistance companies can be found!).
Best wishes, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:39 pm

We had to change a rear wheel on our Exec last year while on a French motorway, as it became distorted and was causing some horrible vibration.
We did it at the first Aire of course, not on the carriageway.

It took myself and a caravanner pal two hours to get the spare removed from underneath, van jacked up (with the spare acting as a safety reserve under the chassis), wheel removed, swapped with spare, new wheel fitted, old wheel attached back underneath and van lowered off the jacks.

I reckon that an air bag jack would have made it a lot easier and quicker, along with a winch for the spare wheel carrier to get the heavy wheel back in there.

I don't know about safer though, so that's why I'm interested in other's opinions and experiences.

Our new van doesn't carry a spare wheel though, so it's moot really. Like you, I'll be calling roadside assistance if we have a damaged flat, if the squirty cream repair doesn't work.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:05 pm

I have not used a bag jack, but I suspect that for my coachbuilt unless it is jacked at the designated jack point the wheel will not come off due to the bodywork, rear at least.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 pm

The trick I was told, undo the  nuts, get hold of wheel and angle the bottom forwards and the rest will follow, fit back in reverse order.

Had to do this on our caravan.as wheels were taken off every winter and plates put on.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 am

Its the other way round on AS coach built rear wheels, you have to push the bottom of the wheel under the hub till the wheel is on the floor then pull it out flat.

PS on newer vans, the spats around the wheel arch are removable, but its best if that can be avoided.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeJJ Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm

I read somewhere that the air bag jack can raise approx. 60cm.  Not sure that would be enough for a Merc chassis to give the clearance to swivel the wheel under and out.

Anyone know?  My trolley jacks (domestic 3ton)  had reached their upper limit before the wheels had enough clearance.
MikeJJ
MikeJJ
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB - Burford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:08 pm

MikeJJ wrote:I read somewhere that the air bag jack can raise approx. 60cm.  Not sure that would be enough for a Merc chassis to give the clearance to swivel the wheel under and out.

Anyone know?  My trolley jacks (domestic 3ton)  had reached their upper limit before the wheels had enough clearance.

My local garage have a pair of high lift trolley jacks to get the rears off. With those jacks and knowing the 'trick', they have them off or on in a tick.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:40 pm

MikeJJ wrote:I read somewhere that the air bag jack can raise approx. 60cm.  Not sure that would be enough for a Merc chassis to give the clearance to swivel the wheel under and out.

Presumably the good thing about an air jack is that it starts out flat, so there's potential to put a base of bricks or wooden blocks under it to increase the lift height.

I would also always have a backup jack, just in case, so you could probably alternate them and add a plinth along the way.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:56 pm

I would not use a bag jack on a coachbuilt. It will be lifting via the floor, which sound a good way to wreck the floor/side fixings into the chassis rails.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down