The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Global warming.

+6
repoort
Libraryman2
-mojo-
jennyandpeter
willy eckerslike
bikeralw
10 posters

Go down

Global warming. Empty Global warming.

Post by bikeralw Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm

So let me get this right, our glorious leaders have decreed that we must plunder the earth's rare metals in order to fit hundreds of millions of vehicles with a power sapping catalytic converter that converts noxious gasses to carbon dioxide and water. Now we're being told that the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are the highest ever recorded and pose the grave danger of increased global warming and must be reduced at all costs....

Is there a glaring inconsistency here??
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Global warming. Empty Re: Global warming.

Post by willy eckerslike Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Now that the aurora borealis is often seen further south than previously I am waiting for the warmists to say that it's the result of human activity. It can't be long now

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 am

No inconsistency at all if you keep adding an amount it gets bigger you can only influence the rate of change.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 am

If catalytic converters were not fitted to vehicles though, surely the carbon dioxide level would be lower than it is. I do my bit for global warming by removing them from any bikes I own..
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 am

I suspect you know the answer already, but anyway:

A catalytic converter is there to convert remaining amounts of unburnt/partially burnt hydrocarbons - which are harmful to human health - into substances that are as near as possible harmless to human health. The fact that it converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide isn't really very relevant, because in relative terms the quantity is not large, and also when those hydrocarbons are eventually broken down by natural processes in the atmosphere, most will probably end up as carbon dioxide and water anyway.

And of course, as I'm sure you know, removing the catalytic converter from any road vehicle renders it illegal for road use in the UK.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:46 pm

-mojo- wrote:

And of course, as I'm sure you know, removing the catalytic converter from any road vehicle renders it illegal for road use in the UK.
Not with motorbikes. Which is why there's a booming demand for aftermarket exhaust systems. Although cats are fitted to every new bike, as yet there are no emission tests on bikes at MoT time. I have a garage full of discarded cats.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

I wonder sometimes about people! the fool I saw driving his van today, belching a filthy cloud of exhaust wouldn’t want to be a pedestrian as he / she drove past!
I am utterly gobsmacked how the driver gets away with it, had I had the means and time, I would have taken the number etc and reported it...but to whom...who cares I ask myself, I was on my daily run and it really p&#@#&#% me off having to breath that crap in!

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:32 pm

Libraryman2 wrote:I wonder sometimes about people!  the fool I saw driving his van today, belching a filthy cloud of exhaust wouldn’t want to be a pedestrian as he / she drove past!
I am utterly gobsmacked how the driver gets away with it, had I had the means and time, I would have taken the number etc and reported it...but to whom...who cares I ask myself, I was on my daily run and it really p&#@#&#% me off having to breath that crap in!

Ray

Anyone with a dashcam fitted would have the means to record anything like that.
Whilst bikers and cyclists sometimes have them, I've yet to see a runner with one...could be handy for dog encounters - as a runner myself I'm not sure which is worst, dogs or fumes.
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 pm

Yeh, been bitten myself, can’t blame the dog though!

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 pm

bikeralw wrote:
Not with motorbikes. Which is why there's a booming demand for aftermarket exhaust systems. Although cats are fitted to every new bike, as yet there are no emission tests on bikes at MoT time. I have a garage full of discarded cats.

I don't normally have any problem with motor bike riders, but one of the most annoying things for me these days in the quieter parts of the country is the number of bike riders with stupidly loud aftermarket exhausts fitted. I stayed on the Applecross road in May and there were hordes of them, and most you could hear at least a mile away. It made what should have been a peaceful quiet scene like camping on the side of a race track.

IMO, most bike riders don't ~need~ the extra few BHP that a silly loud exhaust might give them, but they do it anyway.

[Edit: and by the way, do you know for sure that removing a cat is legal, or do you just mean that it's illegal but you have no chance of being caught? Obviously, there's a major difference between the two.]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:05 am

Libraryman2 wrote:I wonder sometimes about people!  the fool I saw driving his van today, belching a filthy cloud of exhaust wouldn’t want to be a pedestrian as he / she drove past!

Ray
I recall some years ago picking up a leaflet from our local library about reporting  'Dirty Diesel Emissions'. Today in a similar format, you can do it online to the DVSA that requires the vehicle details, date and time of sighting also with your contact details. Unfortunately, it only deals with lorries and buses but to report private cars might be a police matter? Certainly a dash cam would provide the necessary information but if a pedestrian, a quick photo via your phone or pen and paper before memory fades. Don't think digital evidence is required to bring about a prosecution, is just about remembering the information to report it. Just a couple of days ago out in the van, we were behind a 4x4 that was chucking out clouds of black SH one T and to think the driver didn't care or indeed would continue to overly pollute the planet until the next MOT.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:26 am

10,000 years ago Great Britain was connected to Europe by a sheet of ice, what made that ice melt and retreat to the pole?
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:30 am

bikeralw wrote:So let me get this right, our glorious leaders have decreed that we must plunder the earth's rare metals in order to fit hundreds of millions of vehicles with a power sapping catalytic converter that converts noxious gasses to carbon dioxide and water. Now we're being told that the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are the highest ever recorded and pose the grave danger of increased global warming and must be reduced at all costs....

Is there a glaring inconsistency here??
Well we have to make millions of batteries for cars soon.Disposal costs to add.
Roll on Clean Hydrogen power.
C02 level 0.00405  up from 0.0038.  70% water vapour. Atmospheric gases.Maybe 1 nought out but you get my drift.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:12 am

Motor engines do not work anywhere near maximum efficiently, which is proven by the results of re-mapping, If all these filters deter the engine from working efficiently,  then we are burning more fuel than necessary.

Best regards
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: