The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiamma Privacy Room

+5
andygump
burlingtonboaby
roli
stevomar
Dutto
9 posters

Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Fiamma Privacy Room

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi there,

We need extra storage (for sure!) but The Boss hates tents with a passion and doesn't particularly like the designs available for "drive-away" awnings.

So, as "Petal" already has a Fiamma 45 Super awning fitted, we are considering adding a Fiamma Privacy Room for the summer.

Simple questions really:

1) Has anyone bought one?

2) If so, are you happy with it?

3) Where did you get it and was it a good deal?

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Re: Fiamma Privacy Room

Post by stevomar Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Dutto - How's tricks

Never seen a Fiamma Privacy room actually up (I presume you mean the Front and Sides you add onto a wind out awning) but my mate had one with his Trident and I saw it folded up in the bag and thought it to be quite a bulk to carry round - But if you don't mind that they seem a good idea.
When it was red hot on the Ardeche a few years back we just taped a couple of those raffetta beach mats to either side of the wind out awning to get some shade `!!!

Cheers

Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Stevo,

It's a full enclosure with the front section sliding into the channel on the front of the awning. ("Yes." I was surprised to find that I had one as well!)

With regard to "bulk" we tow a boat on most summer trips and the next purchase will be a Trailer so we won't be too worried about that - as long as it is easy to put up and "fit for purpose" in a typical British summer! SnowballFight

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Think Privacy rooms heavy and bulky, have you considered a Windbreaker much lighter and more compact. There is one illustrated on our Windsor in my avatar.

Have you considered a free standing compact to travel unit such as a Kyham Spare Room (12kg inc frame etc), which we used prior to getting the windbreaker. Kept the chairs, bikes in there also ok for drying towels etc also good pitch marker when you go off site.
The photo of ours with our last van.

Fiamma Privacy Room Spareroom
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi there,

It looks like the general feeling is that the Fiamma Privacy Room is "heavy and bulky" and "difficult to erect".

These factors, hopefully, wouldn't be a problem for us because when we are touring:
1). We will be towing a trailer or a boat. and,
2). We usually overnight in lay-by's or service stations until we get to our destination; and then stay for a minimum of a week.

We had a look at the Mesh Windbreaker as an alternative and it got some support from Helen ("If it makes you happy!" to be precise allthumbz ) but I'm not keen on the "see-through" aspect.

Not to worry, there's plenty of time before we have to decide so we will keep checking out any suggestions.

Many thanks and best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Fiamma privacy room

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:34 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

It looks like the general feeling is that the Fiamma Privacy Room is "heavy and bulky" and "difficult to erect".

These factors, hopefully, wouldn't be a problem for us because when we are touring:
1). We will be towing a trailer or a boat. and,
2). We usually overnight in lay-by's or service stations until we get to our destination; and then stay for a minimum of a week.

We had a look at the Mesh Windbreaker as an alternative and it got some support from Helen ("If it makes you happy!" to be precise allthumbz ) but I'm not keen on the "see-through" aspect.

Not to worry, there's plenty of time before we have to decide so we will keep checking out any suggestions.

drinksallround

Good morning Mr Duetto

I hope you are feeling better after your recent tummy troubles and still having a great holiday.
I had 2.5mtr Privacy room fitted to my T5 lwb and found it a doubled the space, down side for us was space needed to carry everything.
We had a Movelite XL Pro driveaway awning on the Symbol, 3x3 mtrs outside space, carried that in the Fiamma box on the rear door.down side was, not very stable in high winds.
We have Lillypad mesh screens at the moment, having decided not to fit a extra large side paneled version of the Omni awing required to fit the recessed awning on the 09 Nuevo.
This chap who we meet at one of the shows, came up to Brid via Hull and fitted bike racks, awnings etc, www.hillviewawnings.co.uk
Hope this has been some help to you, minus 4 here in Brid.

Boaby

burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Ian

Look on Ebay, usually quite a few on there, indicating that they are not too popular!!

My previous van was a Duetto, which came with 3 (yes 3) awnings and loads of other extras. One of the awnings was a Privacy Room, which weighed a ton and took up half the van in storage space. So I sold it on Ebay hugegrins

I use a system like Roli has. I bought a lightweight Dome Tent from Millets, for Bikes, Scooter, BBQ, if we are stayng for more than a couple of nights, and only weighs about a quarter, costs about a quarter, and takes up about quarter of the Privacy Room I think the Privacy Rooms a more suited to the Caravanners way of life, who tend to be more static, once they are set up

Anyway "One mans Awning"etc

Cheers Andy up!

PS Got a Skype from my Son the other day, who is staying down your way(Nerja), saying they had been sunbathing on the beach that day censored! Last night he phoned from the Sierra Navada sayng the snow had arrived. You kept quiet about that so_sad so_sad hugegrins hugegrins

Andy wave

andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 am

Andy,

SNOW?? Not here south of Alicante; although it did rain for an hour or so last night.

At this very moment sat in the sun with iPad in hand and whisky to hand. (Tummy now settled down - but testing to ensure that it wasn't a sudden attack of "alcohol intolerance"!!) up! up!

On the awning front - the main gripes against the Privacy Room seem to be weight and bulk (which are not problems when towing a trailer) and difficulty of erection (again not a problem as "Helen, stick the awning up please while I pour the drinks." springs to mind!!) allthumbz allthumbz

So far, no-one has criticised the build quality or it's ability to stay up in a gale so it's still out there as a "probable". scratch head

Best regards, (snow indeed!!!)

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:24 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:........ down side was, not very stable in high winds.

That's removed one from the equation then! wave wave

Couple of weeks back the awning on the caravan at the back of "Petal" was picked up by the wind and thrown all the way over the top! One of the poles was dragged with it and it smacked into "Petal" and knocked a hole in the small top window!! Apparently it will cost me somewhere around £360 to replace the window!

In fairness to the awning manufacturer it was gusting up to Force 6 or 7 and the twonk that owned the caravan had secured it to the ground with SIX thin metal pegs!!

What we are looking for just has to be stable as I'm getting too old to be leaping about in my shreddies at 2am frantically trying to save an awning! (Also, it scares the neighbours!) hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,

drinksallround

Last edited by Dutto on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Tidy it up a bit.)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Fiamma privacy room driveway awning

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Dutto wrote:
burlingtonboaby wrote:........ down side was, not very stable in high winds.

That's removed one from the equation then! wave wave

Couple of weeks back the awning on the caravan at the back of "Petal" was picked up by the wind and thrown all the way over the top! One of the poles was dragged with it and it smacked into "Petal" and knocked a hole in the small top window!! Apparently it will cost me somewhere around £360 to replace the window!

In fairness to the awning manufacturer it was gusting up to Force 6 or 7 and the twonk that owned the caravan had secured it to the ground with SIX thin metal pegs!!

What we are looking for just has to be stable as I'm getting too old to be leaping about in my shreddies at 2am frantically trying to save an awning! (Also, it scares the neighbours!) hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,

Hi Dutto,

The user instructions with the XL pro does state, avoid erecting in the wind,once up they are pretty strong
as long as you purchase your own pegs and add extra storm straps, ours got torn at the corner stitching
attached to the awning, during a storm last summer in Barmouth.

The privacy rooms are strong enough to hold up againist most winds,again purchase some decent pegs and strong storm straps to hold the corners down.

Enjoy looking for your Awning, static or Driveaway.
Boaby

Last edited by ASOF Staff on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited incorrectly)
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Just one more point I feel I should remind every one of- "Sleepless nights"!!
You know they say it will still be there in the morning! but the sounds of the wind toying with your mind body and wallet are just going to give you a heart attack! Take my advice and go light -remove and wind in -and rest easy. Much harder to do with the Fiamma privacy. girl-thinking
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi there,

I've been keeping an eye on six Privacy Rooms on site here.

They are all strapped down and have all survived the winds that blew the caravan awning up and over into "Petal" at the start of the year.

I have two tie-down kits and 20 steel storm pegs on my "List of things to get!" no matter what we finish up with. Plus, if we get a Privacy Room, I intend to make a couple of aluminium plates (with holes for four pegs each) to make sure that the awning legs don't lift without removing a sizeable chunk of terra firma if they do!! allthumbz allthumbz

I'm sure that we will have a "blow" before we leave here next month - and if we do I will be out there monitoring progress!! (I've already removed two options. 1. The one with zipped side panels; because we don't have a zip on the awning. and 2. The ones where the side panels are held on with what looks like welding clamps; because they look a mess!)

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:19 am

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper T25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 pm

ade700 wrote:foot plate up!

I knew there would be a technical term for it!!

This is the man that wanted to join a 1" pipe to a 2" pipe and went to the stores to ask for a "one inch to two inch increaser."

The Storeman sucked his teeth and denied having any. "But I had one out of stores yesterday!" I replied.

He still denied having any - but as I was walking out the door he did ask "Will a two inch to one inch reducer do the job, 'cos I have hundreds of those?" hugegrins hugegrins and censored! sensored1

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Fiamma privacy room

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:40 pm

I've been keeping an eye on six Privacy Rooms on site here.

They are all strapped down and have all survived the winds that blew the caravan awning up and over into "Petal" at the start of the year.

I have two tie-down kits and 20 steel storm pegs on my "List of things to get!" no matter what we finish up with. Plus, if we get a Privacy Room, I intend to make a couple of aluminium plates (with holes for four pegs each) to make sure that the awning legs don't lift without removing a sizeable chunk of terra firma if they do!! allthumbz allthumbz

I'm sure that we will have a "blow" before we leave here next month - and if we do I will be out there monitoring progress!! (I've already removed two options. 1. The one with zipped side panels; because we don't have a zip on the awning. and 2. The ones where the side panels are held on with what looks like welding clamps; because they look a mess!)

Best regards,

drinksallround

Hi Duetto
Looks like its the clip system you may may require? the welding clips I think are for the Omnistor privacy rooms, the Omni residence room is the most expence one I think?
Fiamma have a privacy room Lite,also with the clip system, correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can add the Omnistor awning systems to a Fiamma awning.

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LobbyLudd Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:06 pm

More than happy with our solution in creating an enclosed Fiamma 'room' 3 years ago onto our Fiamma F45 awning. It has been relatively easy and quick to configure/dismantle (we have regularly used it if on site for 2 days or more giving good flexibility in using 1-2 or 3 individual walls according to prevailing weather conditions.

Purchased from a Fiamma dealer what was described at the time as Fiamma 'Proffessional' series ready made front and 2 end 'Blocker' walls. The front slides in groove and has a nice big pvc window full width. Chose one end with a matching window, t'other end completely solid material (can also give a bit of privacy if wanted.Matching Grey strong gauge nylon canvas stuff) The ends are interchangeable and are supported by the good quality telescopic poles that are ordered to go with the blocker end panels ( twist lock when at the correct length) all are pinned down with supplied pegs and elasticated ties.
Also bought the telescopic centre 'rafter' With all these 3 cross rafters combined the result is very rigid. Always finish off with a tie down if any strong wind about. There are also a number of white plastic clips for sealing the edges of the roof material to the round telescopic end poles.

What I consider the most useful 'modification' was to remove the series of fiddly ribbon type tying straps (for securing corners of walls to the awning upright poles )and replaced them by stitching on velcro strip ties for rapid ease of entry exit.

All poles go into my secure 'upvc plastic pipe holder' c/w with screw end caps fixed across the towbar frame on the rear of the van. All blocker ends quickly go into a bag that neatly acts as a foot rest for my wife when in the 'navigation' or 'riding shotgun' passenger seat broomstick

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Many, many thanks - THREAD CLOSED

Post by Dutto Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks for that.

Looks like a pukka Fiamma Privacy Room will be the way we will go - after renewing the fabric of the existing awning.

Many, many thanks to all who have contributed to his thread. allthumbz

It's been very interesting to read the pros and cons of the situation and then resolving them to our own plans and needs.

Thanks again,

drinksallround

Last edited by Dutto on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Close Thread)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi there,

My goodness!! It is really hard to spend money in the UK!!

We went to a Dealer and said "We want to buy a Fiamma Privacy Room for our awning."

Much sucking of teeth and flicking through a Fiamma Brochure reveals:

A) Fiamma DO NOT MAKE a Privacy Room that fits BOTH a F45 S x 3m awning AND the relevant height for a Duetto!

B) Replacing the slightly worn and ripped material on the original awning will be "MUCH MORE" expensive than buying a new awning.

So, we ordered a new 2.5 metre awning and a suitably sized Privacy Room - on 3rd July 2012.

We enquired today when we could get it fitted and received the reply "I haven't ordered it yet!"

I didn't know Helen knew language like that but I am assured that the Dealer now realises that we will not be returning to do business with him!!

Also, on another tack, the same Dealer quoted £2,800 to replace three corroded wings on "Petal"! We may be being optimistic but I don't think even Helen realised that I knew such language either!!

So, back to square one and now looking at one of those "net" awnings to hang on the original, slightly damaged, Fiamma 45.

Any thoughts out there? Especially if you know any company around York or north of there.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty e: Fiamma privacy room

Post by Guest Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 am

Hi Ian,

Do you mean the side and front sun/wind nets?

We 'inherited' ours with the 'van, they're made by Lillypad, (Google it) and come in a small cloth bag.

2 blue side/end sections + front, which slides on the Fiamma front rail and 2 extending poles for the side bits.

All I had to buy was pegs to hold the bottoms to the ground.

Used successfully 2 days ago in the 'unseasonable' sunshine.

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Re-Fiamma privacy room/wind blocker

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:17 am

My goodness!! It is really hard to spend money in the UK!!

We went to a Dealer and said "We want to buy a Fiamma Privacy Room for our awning."

Much sucking of teeth and flicking through a Fiamma Brochure reveals:

A) Fiamma DO NOT MAKE a Privacy Room that fits BOTH a F45 S x 3m awning AND the relevant height for a Duetto!

B) Replacing the slightly worn and ripped material on the original awning will be "MUCH MORE" expensive than buying a new awning.

So, we ordered a new 2.5 metre awning and a suitably sized Privacy Room - on 3rd July 2012.

We enquired today when we could get it fitted and received the reply "I haven't ordered it yet!"

I didn't know Helen knew language like that but I am assured that the Dealer now realises that we will not be returning to do business with him!!

Also, on another tack, the same Dealer quoted £2,800 to replace three corroded wings on "Petal"! We may be being optimistic but I don't think even Helen realised that I knew such language either!!

So, back to square one and now looking at one of those "net" awnings to hang on the original, slightly damaged, Fiamma 45.

Any thoughts out there? Especially if you know any company around York or north of there.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Ian

Hi Ian
Further to my p.m to you, lillypad have an E-bay shop and advertising from Spalding moor with one size of wind blockers, item number 140296028997, however if you require a bespoke set, then link onto their windblockers website, as per the p.m to you. up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Privacy Room Empty Privacy rooms

Post by murph Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Dutto,
Have you considered wind blockers from Lillypad Leisure, though they are not very private being made from very fine mesh flyscreen material, they do pack up very small, and at shows they advertise them as windproof with a 2ft diameter fan blowing on them. this may mean you dont have to tow a trailer.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi there Bob and Brian,

Yep! It is definitely Wind Blockers that I was thinking of and we will drop in on our way past Macclesfield in about three weeks to pick up a set.
allthumbz
With regard to the trailer - we will still need it for the chairs, table, windbreaks, groundsheets, washing machine, hosepipe, drainage pipe etc.
Whistle1
Also, we bought the "625kgs" model from Erdre on the basis that the "stuff" only weighs about 200kgs and that leaves a slight margin of capacity to use for wine and spirits when we return from Spain!!!
up! up!
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down