The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swiss Army Tool.

5 posters

Go down

Swiss Army Tool. Empty Swiss Army Tool.

Post by frederic Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Be it Torch, Knife or Card should you need any of the inserts 
such as tweezers, pen, horseshoe spring for the scissors, bulbs etc.
the Green Welly Stop  at Tyndrum has got a service kit of spares in its
tools display cabinet in the clothing area of the store.
Prices are very reasonable mind you the fuel to get there is not!
While there try the food at the Tyndrum Inn next door.
The breakfasts are mega and prices good during the day.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Swiss Army Tool. Empty Re: Swiss Army Tool.

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks for that Ricky, its been awhile since we stopped there , used to be a Little Chef there years back.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks for that, I need tweezers for my trusty 25 year old Swiss Army knife. Speaking of which reminded me of an incident last year when on a bike rally. I was in Cromer with a group of bikers eating fish and chips on a park picnic bench, and thought I'd get out my trusty Swiss Army Knife to cut up my fish. Imagine my surprise when one of the group, a female met police officer asked me to put it away otherwise I would be arrested! I thought it was a joke, but she was deadly serious. Apparently I was in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place! Even though the blade was under 3 inches long, it was capable of being locked in place, ie: a locking knife...
So beware when carrying such a knife.. Now if I'd had a 10inch fixed blade filleting knife I'd have been ok... Madness.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:46 am

bikeralw wrote:Thanks for that, I need tweezers for my trusty 25 year old Swiss Army knife. Speaking of which reminded me of an incident last year when on a bike rally. I was in Cromer with a group of bikers eating fish and chips on a park picnic bench, and thought I'd get out my trusty Swiss Army Knife to cut up my fish. Imagine my surprise when one of the group, a female met police officer asked me to put it away otherwise I would be arrested! I thought it was a joke, but she was deadly serious. Apparently I was in possession of an offensive weapon in a public place! Even though the blade was under 3 inches long, it was capable of being locked in place, ie: a locking knife...
So beware when carrying such a knife.. Now if I'd had a 10inch fixed blade filleting knife I'd have been ok... Madness.
Al.

Ha!  The only time I have been on Eurostar I had my trusty Opinel knife taken away from me on the same basis!

What really makes me angry is that as an HSE Manager I saw numerous injuries caused by non-locking penknives folding over in use and cutting into the fingers of the users; which can't happen with a "locking" penknife.

I twice introduced "Free Swap Systems" whereby anyone who handed in an ordinary penknife would be given a "locking" penknife in exchange and the incidence of cut fingers was almost eliminated.

The lunatics are definitely running the asylum we call Great Britain!

PS

As a kid, I belonged to the local Boy Scout Troop and carried a 5" sheath knife strapped to my belt most of the time.

At school, we often played "Splits" (a knife throwing game) using either our sheath knives or penknives and to the best of my knowledge and belief, no-one ever attacked a teacher or a fellow pupil with a knife.

On one occasion I even took to school my Uncle Albert's souvenir Hitler Youth Knife ...

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/german/blades/hj/hjhist.php

... to show one of the teachers.

Changed times eh? tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 pm

bikeralw wrote:a female met police officer asked me to put it away otherwise I would be arrested! I thought it was a joke, but she was deadly serious.

I haven't looked into the exact wording of the legislation concerned, but my understanding is that if you can demonstrate that you are carrying a knife with you for a specific, legal purpose then it would be legal. I carry a knife in my climbing gear, and I had been led to believe that - because it is there for a specific purpose - it is legal to do so while climbing, and while traveling to and from crags.

I would have thought that you could argue that you were carrying the multi-tool for the purpose of minor maintenance on your bike, and that using it to cut up fish is a legitimate use for a knife.

[but I should add that I fully support the police's activities in trying to reduce knife crime]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 pm

We have two Swiss army multi tools (knifes) plus two windscreen hammers and seat belt cutters.better not get lifted .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 am

In the "Good Old Days" the law didn't specifically target knives as the law was aimed at "Offensive Weapons".

A motorbike chain in the saddle-bag of a motorbike was NOT an "offensive weapon" but if I was caught carrying the same motorbike chain across a dance-floor then the assumption was that I wasn't going to change the chain on my bike and therefore it WAS an offensive weapon.

Ditto baseball bats, cricket bats, lengths of four-by-two etc etc.  In other words, there was a modicum of decision making to be made by the courts, the police AND the general public.

I'm afraid that too many scare stories put out by the UK Press have been believed by the general public and they in turn have forced the politicians to enact stupid legislation that we all have to live with.

Alternatively, the politicians can admit that they got it wrong and rescind the legislation ... allthumbz allthumbz

... but that ain't going to happen is it! snigger  snigger

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum