The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indicators

+8
Dave 418
crisp
rgermain
groundhog
Paul 300358
Cymro
boxerman
Askit
12 posters

Go down

Indicators Empty Indicators

Post by Askit Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Ok, I admit I might not be the best driver on the road but I do try to be considerate and let my fellow road users know what my intentions are and the direction my vehicle is heading in. Is it too much to ask that they reciprocate? You know that feeling, sitting at a road junction waiting to turn left and a car approaches from the right. Just as it gets up to the junction, it slows and turns up the road you are on, usually with the driver adding insult to injury by sticking the indicator on as they turn the corner   confused3 .  Best of all is the bun fight on roundabouts where, it seems for many drivers, they think indicators are banned from use.

I've noticed that many of these drivers use a mobile version of the well known law that applies to pedestrians, the one that says if they don't look at traffic, they can't be knocked down   look here . Drivers who don't indicate often adopt a similar technique of staring into space, which would be a good place for them   happyyes

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Indicators Empty Re: Indicators

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:25 pm

i agree with you on the first point Tony, but I'm afraid that I am one of those who don't indicate on roundabouts. My mate got sideswiped for indicating a bit too soon.
The other guy quite rightly pointed out the Trev was indicating left, but Trev was intending to turn at the next junction which was only a few yards past the one he got clobbered on.
Keep 'em wondering - its safer!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:40 pm

That's interesting, Frank. I recently did the Institute of Advanced Driver's qualification and had to read the Highway Code and the Police manual etc - not having done so for many years, I confess. I thought the rule at roundabouts was "indicate immediately before your exit". But I now understand that if your exit is anywhere more than 12 0'clock, you first indicate right, and then switch to left immediately before your exit.

The problem is often the layout. I know of some roundabouts where the exits are very close, and if you indicate too soon it can lead to the accident which you describe.

I now apply one rule: make sure that other drivers can know of my intention - and I try to use position and indicators accordingly. And never flash headlights because that's ambigous - especially these days where cars bounce over speed humps, giving the impression that the driver is communicating.

Sounds a bit pious, but I hope it'll keep me out of trouble. Have just been remewing car and M/H insurances so NCBs are on my mind!!

But I agree entirely with Askit!  It's so annoying.

Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo correction)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Cymro,
as you've done the Advanced Driver's qualification, you are obviously a better driver than I am, but I'm afraid that I won't be changing my ways. Whistle1

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:18 pm

I think we have indications of a difference of opinion  snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:26 pm

'Fraid so Tony smile!
As an aside, when I've seen vehicles on roundabouts with their right indicator flashing, I have - up until being enlightened just now by Cymro, - thought that they have forgotten to cancel them so have treated them with mistrust.
I wonder how many drivers come to the same [erroneous?] conclusion as me?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Well I don't like the right-indicator approach, either. I'm only reporting what is apparently now best practice. And I do hope I'm not coming across as smug, Frank! There are very many better drivers than me, some of whom (for whatever reason) haven't taken the IAM test. My course was a birthday gift, in preparation for the transportation of grandchildren. I learned a lot (especially Observation) and my admiration for Police Class 1 drivers is now immense. They are in a different league.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:11 pm

I apologise if I gave the impression that I thought you were being smug, i didn't think that for one moment.
I remember our Sue coming home after her first police driving lesson, how you were supposed to be watching and anticipating three or more cars ahead instead of just the one in front. "Don't you do that already?" I asked - apparently not!
I think people who started off on motorbikes before 'progressing' to cars are more aware of what is going on around them.
Police trained motorcyclists are brilliant.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 pm

The thing that really winds me up is when sitting at our local rail crossing for 10 minuets , the driver in front of me has never heard of that thing called a hand brake, he will sit with his foot on the brake pedal blinding everyone behind. And that's if he's bothered to turn his rear fog lights off!!

Sorry, it is the grumpy bit of the forum.
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:59 pm

I tend to be sceptical about people indicating until I am sure what the other person is doing, all other drivers are guilty until proved innocent! I am guilty of headlight flashing though I know the other side of the pond it means I'm coming through!!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:The thing that really winds me up is when sitting at our local rail crossing for 10 minuets , the driver in front of me has never heard of that thing called a hand brake, he will sit with his foot on the brake pedal blinding everyone behind. And that's if he's bothered to turn his rear fog lights off!!

Sorry, it is the grumpy bit of the forum.

May be driving an Automatic, still could put it in park, no need for handbrake. I have never used mine on the car ever. I always turn the engine off in such situations.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:50 am

boxerman wrote:'Fraid so Tony smile!
As an aside, when I've seen vehicles on roundabouts  with their right indicator flashing, I have - up until being enlightened just now by Cymro, -  thought that they have forgotten to cancel them so have treated them with mistrust.  
I wonder how many drivers come to the same [erroneous?] conclusion as me?

Frank
Just another thought on this. We have a "mini-roundabout" close by which we have to encounter on our way home, it's on the meeting of two busy roads. I would say that normal roundabout rules apply and if nobody used indicators it would be utter chaos, especially when one vehicle wants to go right and another is approaching head on. Despite that, I've lost count of the number of times I've been waiting to turn left and a vehicle coming from my right has turned into the road I'm on without indicating. It's very frustrating but, on the positive side, it does swell the contributions in my swear box   Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:23 am

Just assume everyone else is going to something daft and you are probably right!! I've even been known to do daft things too though obviously not very often :-)
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:28 am

:blushes:This reminds of another issue with indicators I am guilty of. I am not deaf unless management is involved but the indicators on our Transit based Rienza are very quiet. I drove the whole stretch of the A14 road works with indicator on. Or older Transit and our Landrovers were really loud and you could see the warning light flashing brightly. Please dont make rude hand remarks at me I cant always figure out what you mean.
My IAM instructor said mini roundabouts are a curse because not many people know how to indicate or even worse just ignore them and drive straight over them.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:43 pm

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:02 pm

I fully accept that what Cymro said was true, as backed up by Roger's link, but there are a lot of people disobeying the highway code around my way [me included].
Seeing someone with their right hand indicator on negotiating a roundabout is the exception rather than the rule.
I won't be changing my ways Whistle1

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Meanwhile...........I'm polishing my halo  lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:28 pm

boxerman wrote:
I fully accept that what Cymro said was true, as backed up by Roger's link, but there are a lot of people disobeying the highway code around my way [me included].
Seeing someone with their right hand indicator on negotiating a roundabout is the exception rather than the rule.
I won't be changing my ways Whistle1

Frank
I love the honesty in there and not implying that you're old, but that sounds just like my dad  hugegrins....

"I agree with what you're saying son, but I'm too old to be changing now" !

That's what happens when a former Police Advanced Driver and Advanced Driving & Tactical Pursuit Instructor tries to give his dad a few pointers  Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Torbaytimber Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Have just returned from a tour down to the Ardeche in France.  Was very impressed by the standard of driving over there.  They do routinely signal at roundabouts, move back immediately into the near side lane after overtaking and observe the speed limits.  I was talking to a motorcaravanner who lives in France and he said that the Gendarmes use unmarked vehicles equipped with video cameras and the first thing you hear about your driving sins is a hefty fine received through the post. 

I passed my Institute of Advanced Motorist test in an A class van several years ago.  This makes one realise that driving is such a complex business that it impossible to drive without making mistakes. The chap who took my wife and I through the test said that the only difference between advanced drivers and the rest was that we know how bad we are!

Being an advanced driver makes driving more pleasurable.  It's well worth doing.
Torbaytimber

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 am

French good drivers? Some maybe; try driving around Paris and you get a whole new view of public stock car racing!!! Indicators 4074352203
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Interesting discussion, I hate roundabouts and I admit that I find them intimidating, I was in collision last year with a a left hooker curtain side Rtic and I'm still paying the price for it though I've received the excess back!
The truth is that the volume of traffic on British roads and therefore roundabouts is too high to be truly manageable and safe, it's a nightmare! I don't consider myself a good driver despite having 10 plus years no claims up to last year, luck plays a big part.

I have my new Corinium coming in August, jeese I hope my luck holds out hugegrins 

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:17 am

Best wishes for happy travels in your new MH  up!

Roundabouts are ok except for folk who don't indicate.......and folk who jump lanes on the approach......and people who go round and think they're at Le Mans.......and people who go round in one lane and try to exit on another.......and folk who go on in the left hand lane and drive right round to exit somewhere on the right of the roundabout.

Apart from that they are ok  snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am

:tap_fingers:Just to add my final thoughts about roundabouts. I am mystified why one roundabout the n/s lane is left turn only the next one is n/s lane is for straight on and left turn. Am I the only one that gets in the wrong lane. shrugg
The town in Germany I was stationed in had one of the few roundabouts in Germany outside the universty. The combination of squadies, students and the local drivers caused some interesting arguments. snigger
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Dave 418 wrote::tap_fingers:Just to add my final thoughts about roundabouts. I am mystified why one roundabout the n/s lane is left turn only the next one is n/s lane is for straight on and left turn.........

Usually, but not always down to local traffic volume conditions at certain times of the day.

The left turn only lane will likely have gone in to ease congestion, for example when the left turn leads to a large retail outlet, or an industrial estate.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Back to top Go down