The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mobileeye

5 posters

Go down

Mobileeye Empty Mobileeye

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi all, I've noticed that my dealer offers Mobile eye (collision avoidance) as an option, have to say I've never heard of it!
I haven't asked my insurance if it offers a reduction on such a safety related product!

Anyone using it at all and can share an opinion?

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Mobileeye Empty Re: Mobileeye

Post by -mojo- Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Never heard of it before - but it looks like it must be very very expensive! Even the limited systems available as options (e.g. VW's Lane Assist) from original manufacturers are pretty expensive.

I guess if you have a history of poor perception of road hazards, it could be beneficial, but I'm not sure it would help in a lot of cases. The most recent near miss (someone undertaking me fast on the exit of a roundabout) happened far too quickly for me to have reacted to something beeping or flashing a screen at me.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Yes I'm inclined to agree!

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Personally speaking, if I was an insurance underwriter, and you told me that you needed an electronic device to tell you when other vehicles/objects were too close, I would at least triple your premium 'cos your not fit to drive on our roads.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm

A lot of vehicles are getting it as a standard fitment. My Merc car has it - if it thinks that I am heading for an obstruction and not braking I get a buzzer sounding. The first time it happened I nearly got brown trousers but I was in no danger of going up somebody's rear.
There are a couple of places round here where it goes off when it sees a lamp post on bends but I kind of expect it now.

For extra money I could have had an addition to the system where the brakes were applied if I took no action but I didn't take that. I believe some vehicles have this as standard.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Just had it priced up at £1000:00 depending on the vehical! I guess it depends on your point of view!

A very tired or distracted driver might consider it very cheap ...if... on a rare occasion it saved his precious Motorhome or even his life?

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Rented one of Mr Hertz Renault Codgers (Kadjar) a few weeks back fitted with lane assist and drove it back from Heathrow to Truro. Unless you indicated every time you changed lanes the thing let out a horrible rumbling noise,,,, after a few miles it drove me mad. I am sure you could turn it off somehow but if you did that why have it in the first place! 

Not familiar with this system but used the auto braking system fitted on a Buick, it doesn't bleep at you it just applies the brakes, I don't particularly like it but on that one important occasion it might just save an expensive accident or even save your life.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum