The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STOWAGE

5 posters

Go down

STOWAGE Empty STOWAGE

Post by Bernie Wisely Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi any ideas where I can either purchase ready made or the items to make a stowage tube for windbreaks.

I've been to most of the local building suppliers and tried the internet.

Help/advice would be appreciated.
Bernie Wisely
Bernie Wisely

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

STOWAGE Empty Re: STOWAGE

Post by NORGIL Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Depends how posh you want to be and where you want to fix it. If you have a bike rack on the back simplest thing is a builders merchant, length of plastic drain pipe and two ridged push fit end caps,( unless you corner at a speed highly inappropriate for a motorhome I would be amazed if these would knock out during travel but could easily be secured by a simple pin if you were concerned ) you can use wall fixings to fix to just about anything or cable ties. If you want something posher the alloy tubes which plumbers etc fix to their van roof can look good, plenty on ebay and they can be locked if you want.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you want an even more budget option, go to a carpet shop and ask them for the centre tube of a carpet role and its end caps, you can plastic wrap the tube in easily available vinyls of your choice from a craft shop, again fix with cable ties of wall fixings from the builders merchant. If wrapped properly will last at least a couple of seasons or make a nice different one each year in half an hour.

Last edited by NORGIL on Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:30 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Problem with Rhino type tubes is they are 3m long and it's easy to loose short tubes in them)
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:45 pm

I've seen them made from drainpipes. If you search on EBay for van rack tube you will find ready made ones or the occasional used one such as this...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The ones for plumbers etc seem to be 3 metres, too long for across the back. Fishing shops sell shorter tubes for 2 or 3 rods. May be worth a look.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Made something similar many many  years ago
used 110mm soil pipe and screw on end caps, These can be purchased from any half decent builders merchant or DIY merchant
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:49 pm

We use a "long bag" from the outfit at Wakefield that goes to the shows. Braincells dead so cant remember name possibly Gardners and the thing travels well on the floor (now we have downsized)

Out of interest if you are the long established member BW in ASOC when did you change your van ?
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernie Wisely Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi Roger yes I am he We changed our Van for the Gloucester in Nov 14.

We have a Bag and it does travel inside but it takes up floor space so would prefer it to travel outside on the bike rack. I have seen numerous van's with the pipe tube system but none of the building suppliers locally are much help.
Bernie Wisely
Bernie Wisely

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum