The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flat auxiliary battery

2 posters

Go down

Flat auxiliary battery Empty Flat auxiliary battery

Post by TH1680 Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:16 am

Does anyone know whether the charger has a 'low' voltage cut-out? I.e. If the battery voltage drops extremely low (1.0 volts) will the ZIG charger refuse to function?
On a second point has anyone managed to get to the charger to check it? It is located under a seat with no obvious way of getting to it.
TH1680
TH1680

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : Vehicle:

Back to top Go down

Flat auxiliary battery Empty Re: Flat auxiliary battery

Post by brodco Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:01 am

Hi wave
TH1680 wrote:Does anyone know whether the charger has a 'low' voltage cut-out? I.e. If the battery voltage drops extremely low (1.0 volts) will the ZIG charger refuse to function?
I assume that's a hypothetical question because a lead acid battery with a terminal voltage of one volt  is totally stuffed.

You don't say what year but the Zig X7 will drive current into any voltage (up to 13.8V) if the battery is capable of taking current. It will also work as a power supply with no battery connected at all.

I've never seen an X3 but I'd be amazed if it wasn't the same. As far as I know the only difference between the two  is the available current output.

Can't help on how to get at it though. shrugg

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by TH1680 Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks Brod
Thing is the aux battery is VRLA. I am concerned that it might be a gonner, only bought last summer. Tayna batteries seemed to think it might be recoverable. It is currently on charge from a separate charger.
We got to this point after verifying everything else was giving correct readings, all fuses ok and relays. The van's charger LED indicates on but even so none of the 12V items will function. Now with the separate charger connected all the 12V items are ok. Waiting until tomorrow to see whether the van's charger will take over when I disconnect the separate charger. If it doesn't then I might be looking at a new ZIG as well as a new battery.
Hope this makes sense.
TH1680
TH1680

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TH1680 Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:44 pm

Sequel is the battery was rescued and has been given the all clear after a load test.
TH1680
TH1680

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:07 am

Hi  wave

TH1680 wrote:Sequel is the battery was rescued and has been given the all clear after a load test.

Excellent!  up!

To be honest I wouldn't have given much for your chances of recovering the battery from such a low state of charge but it shows it's always worth a try. Would I be right in thinking that the battery was in that state for a very short time?

Have you proved that the Zig is defunct? A working Zig should be able to charge anything that's capable of being recharged.

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by TH1680 Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:21 pm

I can't be sure how long it was so low but in it's favour it is relatively new, just six months old.
The Zig did prove to be dead. A/S fitted new one last Fri and all now OK, phew!
Thanks for your interest.
TH1680
TH1680

Male

Back to top Go down