The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone tried one of these Sat Navs?

+2
steve00136
daisy mae
6 posters

Go down

Has anyone tried one of these Sat Navs? Empty Has anyone tried one of these Sat Navs?

Post by daisy mae Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:45 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-7-HGV-LORRY-Sat-Nav-2015-EDITION-BEST-UK-TRUCK-Caravan-Coach-Bus-/181619707346?hash=item2a4960cdd2:g:I34AAOSwT5tWHTku

Just wondering if any member on here has one and is it  any good,? have read the feedback from buyers and most are happy with theirs, a few had theirs freezing.

Thanks guys for any  views.
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried one of these Sat Navs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried one of these Sat Navs?

Post by steve00136 Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:21 am

Check out the free sat navs you can download on your phone. HERE is one of the best - free if you have a windows phone - with downloadable maps for all eu so works without a phone signal. Also has speed warnings/beeps as knows all speed limits for roads.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Has anyone tried one of these Sat Navs? Empty Re: Has anyone tried one of these Sat Navs?

Post by -mojo- Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:08 am

Never tried one and, looking at the technical specs, I wouldn't consider buying. Essentially they are cheap Chinese disposables that people buy in a crateload from Shenzen to sell on to double their money (Alibaba shows typical prices at $44 each, but no doubt they get a lot cheaper than that if you want a shipping container full).

Despite what the seller says in their advert, you won't get any support, though they will of course answer any question you have very nicely. Typically for items like this, once they have your money that's the end of the seller's involvement. It's very unlikely that you will ever get any map updates. The hardware is just about adequate (roughly the processing power that a handheld PDA would have had 10 years ago). The software is based on a fairly ancient version of Windows CE, which is almost certainly not what any known mainstream maker of satnavs would choose to use.

I suspect that they are trying to capitalise on the fact that genuine HGV satnavs are still very expensive, but (as discussed in other threads recently) a satnav can only be as good as the mapping data that it's based on, and the seller doesn't even say where the map data comes from (often this means that they have copied the map data from another device rather than paying to license it, though I don't know if that's true for this specific product).

For anyone after a cheap satnav, I reckon they will get a much better experience buying an old model from one of the known brands than getting one of these. I've tried cheapo satnavs before (one Mio based and another branded Binatone) and TBH I regretted both purchases.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:18 am

For what its worth, in my opinion I would only buy a satnav with free map updating for life.  I still have a perfectly good TomTom model which I have had for many years. TomTom wanted £80 to update it. Silly money when you can buy a new one for less money.  I would hasten to add that I also use a Garmin with free lifetime updates which I update about every 6 months.

Happy New Year.
Mick.                                  wave
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks guys, I have an old Tomtom which I am still happy with, but with hubby taking my van under a low bridge this year, Whistle1 thought I would cover it happening again snigger if he does get to drive it again. hugegrins

I will give that one a miss then.
Thanks

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:23 am

I bought a Garmin Nuvi back in 2007. There were no free updates then though if you
knew how to do it they could be downloaded for free from the internet. That is a bit beyond me so last year I took it into my local computor shop who put a sim card in it and downloaded all the updates and charged me £20. I really dont know what he put on there but I did a couple of thousand miles in France earlier this year, basically the same route as each year previously and nothing seemed new. I consider my Garmin to be a great asset if used correctly and my only complaint is that I can hardly hear it when in the van though it is great when in the car. The van isnt really loud and the volume is turned right up. I would love a few more decibals but it doesnt seem possible. Think I could do with an amplifier fitting.....
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by transitandy Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:52 am

daisy mae wrote:Thanks guys, I have an old Tomtom which I am still happy with, but with hubby taking my van under a low bridge this year, Whistle1 thought I would cover it happening again snigger if he does get to drive it again. hugegrins

I will give that one a miss then.
Thanks
My old tom tom has low bridge alerts as well as speed cameras and has saved me a couple of times Whistle1
Mind you I was looking at updating anyway...
transitandy
transitandy

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : frisky
Vehicle Year : 1987

Back to top Go down