The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taylormade long screen covers

+2
Paulmold
CC
6 posters

Go down

Taylormade long screen covers Empty Taylormade long screen covers

Post by CC Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Have just found that Taylormade do extra long screen covers for the Boxer / Ducato 2007 models onwards which extends a further 9" compared to the standard covers, therefore it's supposed to fully cover the bottom of the screen area and continue over the bonnet vents, which leads me to think this could virtually eliminate or certainly go a long way to reducing the water ingress into the engine bay while parked up, going to order a set of these as our drive way is on a slope and I don't fancy all the water running off the roof straight down onto what is an already susceptible area.

They don't have any photos actually showing the extended covers on their site so if anyone is interested I will post a photo when we get it fitted, if any members already use one of these I would be interested to hear more smile!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Taylormade long screen covers Empty Re: Taylormade long screen covers

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:27 am

Hi CC
There was a question on either Fun or Facts recently asking the pros and cons of the long over the short and the only disadvantage seems to be that you can't use your wipers to hold down the bottom edge and therefore they flap in the wind. Not so much a problem if just used when stored on your drive but irritating if you're inside the MH.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks for that Paul, never even thought of that with the wipers....
Will have to have to look on the other forums and do a bit more research or figure out away of securing it to prevent the flapping gimmefive

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JDS Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Hello CC
We have the Taylor Made longer screens. We are really pleased with them had them about 18 months.
You can see them in our avatar picture folded down for daytime use.
They come supplied with straps to fasten them down in strong winds but we have never had to use them.
We have never experienced them flapping in the wind and we have camped in some real bad weather.
I cant speak too highly of them and the customer service when we see the suppliers at the shows, very helpful people.
Going on to the water ingress I dont believe you will have any problem,
Your vehicle should have been sealed properly. Since mine was dealt with (under warrenty) the water goes where it should 'on the ground'. When you get your van get a watering can pour over the windscreen (slowly)and with the bonnet up watch where the water goes.

Dave

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton ES LT
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks Dave that's all very reassuring to hear with regards the screen covers, as they cover the bonnet vents would you say they help with draughts into the cab or does this make no difference?
Regarding the water in to the engine bay, do admit I'm probably overly concerned about this as I've read so many negative comments elsewhere up!
I will try as you suggest with the watering can and keep my fingers crossed fingersx should the bottom screen rubber also be sealed with a fine bead of silicone or have I read this wrong?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JDS Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:29 pm

The bottom screen rubber was sealed but I cant see any sealant as is the centre seam of the scuttle, it looks more like a clear adhesive, its not visible at all.
One advantage of the longer cover it can be folded down in the day allowing full depth of the windscreen to allow light and yes I think it eliminates draughts.

Dave

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton ES LT
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:19 pm

many thanks for your feedback Dave... we will order one and see how we get on up!

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Taylormade long screen covers Empty Taylormade long screen covers

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi From Bridlington,

I have a set of these covers and used them on my 09 Symbol, the only problem i had with them was the snow and ice build up on the roof and slid down the front onto the windscreen, pulling the cover forward under the weight of ice.
This winter I have a 09 Nuveo EK ES,the cover fits under the nose cone nicely, it comes with magnets to stop any flapping on the front doors.
It kepts the engine bay nice and try,

Good product, i think milenco do them aswell.
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi burlingtonboaby

Received our Taylormade covers a few days ago but to be honest been too busy to try them yet and with the evenings so dark nowadays no chance rolleyes Hoping to try them maybe tomorrow as I want to ensure the fit is OK rather than find out when on site! Is there any unwanted side effect to the silver screen covers being left on the van over the winter does anyone know? If not I will presume it's fine to leave them on for extended periods on the driveway over the coming weeks smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:20 am

Hi CC,
I think you should read this from MHFacts.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks Paul...

I think I will contact Taylormade for some feedback, that thread seems to focus on silver screens mainly so will see what Taylormade screens say or suggest smile!

At least you can contact Taylor made eg unlike silver screens they exist in the 21st century and DO have an online presence, hence they got our business... One day they will realise twiddle_thumbs

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Taylormade long screen covers Empty Taylor made screen covers

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:17 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Hi burlingtonboaby

Received our Taylormade covers a few days ago but to be honest been too busy to try them yet and with the evenings so dark nowadays no chance rolleyes Hoping to try them maybe tomorrow as I want to ensure the fit is OK rather than find out when on site! Is there any unwanted side effect to the silver screen covers being left on the van over the winter does anyone know? If not I will presume it's fine to leave them on for extended periods on the driveway over the coming weeks smile!

Hi CruizingComent.
Do you have the Neuvo as shown, if so the covers will fit underneath the small nose cone, I left mine on during the 3 months of heavy snow and ice, at the first of many thaws, it avalanched down the front pulling the cover down abit, didn't take long to clear of the front,that was on my 09 Symbol, now have 09 Nuevo ES. keeps the engine bay dry.
good luck
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't know whether mine are "new" or "old" Silver Screens, they were bought from SS as "used" and are not the "long" version. We left them on all last winter, from before Christmas until about April because surgery stopped me from driving. They were thus in place through the worst of the freezing temperatures, snow and ice, with no apparent ill effects. Just started using them again on our weekends away and to protect the van when at home, and they - and the van - show no sign of problems. I am careful to keep them taut and to make sure there are no flappy bits to do damage.

Tony
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys....

I managed to find time this afternoon to fit the covers to see how they fit, quite pleased with ease of fitting and yes they seem to fit really well, pretty tight fitting so will be surprised if they flap in the wind although having said this they may stretch with a bit of use so will reserve judgment on that for now hugegrins

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Taylormade long screen covers Empty Taylor made covers

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:33 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys....

I managed to find time this afternoon to fit the covers to see how they fit, quite pleased with ease of fitting and yes they seem to fit really well, pretty tight fitting so will be surprised if they flap in the wind although having said this they may stretch with a bit of use so will reserve judgment on that for now hugegrins

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hi Nice pics, you may find that after a while they will stretch a bit after a good soaking,also if you fold in the wing mirrors, so they are set againist the side windows.that will reduce any flapping.

Happy camping Burlington boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Just an update regarding these Taylormade covers, been away for a few days and gave them a good trial & have found them to be excellent!! The fit is very snug indeed, even without using the supplied magnets the fit is really tight, so tight you can barely slip your hand underneath it especially along the part that sits on the bonnet so cant imagine how wind could cause this to flap unless they do stretch with use. (time will tell) We found in the afternoons returning to the van to eat and with the heating on that the front screen would mist slightly on the inside, however as soon as the covers were fitted the mist cleared and the screen was totally mist free upon waking in the mornings, also I'm certain they added a good degree of insulation as the Nuevo has a very big area of glass in the cab and would have been much colder without them!

I would say the Taylormade covers are every bit as good as Silver Screens and may even be slightly superior, add the fact that Silver Screens do not do the extra long covers for the Boxer / Ducato models and it's a no brainer! only minor criticism I have is maybe the holdall for the covers could be slightly better quality, the tie cord is thinner than a shoe lace and could have had something more heavy duty but otherwise we are very pleased.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burfy1 Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks CruzingComet for this info. I didn't know these long covers exist, and due to the water ingress into the engine bay, i'm keen to buy some of these.
That's whats great about this forum.
smile!
burfy1
burfy1

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:43 pm

As my earlier post said, we have the shorter version of Silver Screen for our Tranny - probably the best accessory you can buy providing they're from a decent manufacturer.

When I mentioned "flappy bits" in that post I was referring only to the ties that go around the door handle on ours, and the velcro straps that loop around the bottom of the door. The screens themselves a a remarkably good fit with little or no inclination to flap. Brilliant bit of kit.

Tony
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:22 pm

burfy1 wrote:Thanks CruzingComet for this info. I didn't know these long covers exist, and due to the water ingress into the engine bay, i'm keen to buy some of these.
That's whats great about this forum.
smile!

No problem burfy.. hope it helps others up!

I emailed Taylormade and received a response regarding leaving the covers on for extended periods and they said the following....

'We leave our covers on our campers over the winter. The covers have never damaged the vehicles in any way but after being used all winter they are not just as bright and shiny but this does not in any way reduce their insulation. When they eventually get soiled just wipe them over with warm soapy water, never put them in a washer or use anything abrasive on them. Regards Ann Taylor'

Male

Back to top Go down