The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back box on the Bourton

3 posters

Go down

Back box on the Bourton Empty Back box on the Bourton

Post by lucasg Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Following a visit to the NEC. I am considering a Westphalia back box for the Bourton. I want to mount it on a towbar on a cycle carrier. The chassis extension needed for the towbar is £200 and the towbar £595. The cost of the box and carrier is about £550. The box will be used for the chairs/BBQ/van screens etc.. So quite light.
Has anybody got any advice ? Thanks in advance
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Back box on the Bourton Empty Re: Back box on the Bourton

Post by Maasai Warrior Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:12 pm

We purchased a Wesfalia BC60 two bike rack a few months ago for a towball on our car. As far as we are concerned it is perfect for us.  It is very well made hence the weight - 18.4 kg !! It does take both my wife and me to attach it safely, only because I have a little bit of a back problem. But the benefit to me is that our two bikes can be lifted on and off with reasonable ease as they are at a more convenient level. I have seen these on the back of coachbuilt motorhomes when we are travelling abroad and all owners give the low level convenience as a reason for purchase. It also allows the bikes to be dropped right down horizontally. This feature is possibly a good solution for carrying bikes on the back of a van conversion with opening rear doors. At the towbar fitters where we purchased the rack, they gave us a demonstration of fitting the Westfalia box. We were very impressed with its size, the design, the looks, the strength and the security of the box. At the moment we have just a bumper bar fitted on the back of our Broadway purely for some protection in a shunt. This is a galvanised bar with a square edged stainless steel sleeve covering it. It was fitted by Armitage Trailers in West Yorshire and we are very pleased with it. We may have the electrics and a tow ball added at a later date and may possibly consider using our Westfalia rack on the back for carrying our bikes. The low level will allow us to continue to use our bikes as we both become older and more decrepit!! It will also give us the option to use a Westfalia box on the back for all that booze we intend to bring back from Europe!!

Hope our experiences and thoughts help.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Back box on the Bourton Empty Re: Back box on the Bourton