The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Sprinter Devon water ingress

4 posters

Go down

Mercedes Sprinter Devon water ingress Empty Mercedes Sprinter Devon water ingress

Post by Guest Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi

I have a 2010 Devon. Only noticed recently water dripping from radio speaker in the roof next to the habitation door onto the sink unit below. Not much spread yet, I guess that because it has found an easy exit it is not spreading to far. I have checked and sealed the upper brake lights on outside of vehicle (passenger side brake light was wet inside I had hoped this was the problem, but rained heavily today and still leaking) I have not taken the long brake light at the top centre but sealed round with silicone, I notice that silicone does not appear to be the perfect solution on other posts. The van also has rear camera which looks sealed but I have not yet taken off to check. The top of the van looks water tight, I had to fit a new nut on top as one was missing, again it has leaked in since doing that. Is this a known fault on the Devon? The roof light near habitation door seems to be ok, is there anything obvious that I have missed?

Cheers

Phil
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Sprinter Devon water ingress Empty Re: Mercedes Sprinter Devon water ingress

Post by Lucyc1937 Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Phil, I have a 2010 Devon and I have checked mine and I can't see any evidence of damp. Could it be coming from the Awning area.
Cheers Peter C

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Sprinter Devon water ingress Empty Re: Mercedes Sprinter Devon water ingress

Post by Peter Brown Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:15 pm

It could be getting in anywhere on the roof and finding (as you say) an easy exit.  You need to check ALL roof light seals and if you have a Truma fire the seal on the roof flue, plus any/all aerial and cable entries on the roof.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Phil
Also check the screws securing the fibreglass moulding cover above your recess awning, one or more screws could have pieced the outer skin.
I had small leak in that area as a result of replacing the awing at the dealership last year .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, the awning does look like it may have a bearing as the boarding on the inside is slightly bubbled. I had thought the awning was a sealed unit but if it is possible to puncture the outer skin I will take a look at that. Is it easy to take the external cover of the awning? It looks like a line of screws on top and a couple each end?

Phil
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:45 pm

PhilB1 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback, the awning does look like it may have a bearing as the boarding on the inside is slightly bubbled. I had thought the awning was a sealed unit but if it is possible to puncture the outer skin I will take a look at that. Is it easy to take the external cover of the awning? It looks like a line of screws on top and a couple each end?

Phil
I had to replace the recess awning on my 09 Nuevo some years back , the cover had been sealed in place with sealant and screws, it was a hell of a job to remove it in order to replace the awning.
My Sigma had its awning replaced last August at the dealership, the cover was held in place with screws with 
Some sealant applied at the ends.
The workshop resitted the screws with sealant , leak sorted.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm

I used to have a Surrey which had a similar layout to the Devon and had a leak from rear skylight over the kitchen area, after climbing on to the roof I found that you could lift one corner of the rooflight with a finger, I resealed all round the rooflight which cured the problem, but as Peter said water can get in anywhere and travel to a different part of the roof to exit so as he said check all rooflight seals and possible entry points, good luck in finding the source.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi thanks once again. I have removed the awning cover and filled and covered all screw fixing with sikaflex 512, the old sealant seemed to have been weak and flaky in places, had a few wet and windy days since and touch wood this seems to have worked. I will monitor but hopefully job done
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:41 pm

PhilB1 wrote:Hi thanks once again. I have removed the awning cover and filled  and covered all screw fixing with sikaflex 512, the old sealant seemed to have been weak and flaky in places, had a few wet and windy days since and touch wood this seems to have worked. I will monitor but hopefully job done
Good news , pleased to read you have located the problem and we were able to pin point the problem.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down