The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not fit for purpose.....

2 posters

Go down

Not fit for purpose..... Empty Not fit for purpose.....

Post by groundhog Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:33 pm

How I hate that expression, suddenly largely thanks to a comment by John Reid who said a government department was "Not fit for purpose" everything that is not right falls in to that category now..... I heard two people discussing a bus service the other day and one said "Ooh I know, the number xx arrives twenty minutes later now, it is not fit for purpose"  rolleyes
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Not fit for purpose..... Empty Re: Not fit for purpose.....

Post by Dutto Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi there,

It also makes my teeth grind when I hear it being misquoted as in your example .... tap_fingers   tap_fingers   tap_fingers 

.... but it has struck fear into every charlatan selling shoddy goods in the UK since the 1979 Sale of Goods Act!! allthumbz allthumbz allthumbz

I quote Citizens Advice ....

"When you buy something, consumer law says the item must be fit for purpose.

For example, a toaster must be able to make toast and a washing machine must be able to wash clothes.

As well as being fit for their normal purpose
goods must also be fit for any specific purpose that the seller told you they would be fit for."

I love the last sentence.  It has stopped a lot of outlandish claims being made.

However, a word to the wise is ....

"This right only applies when you buy something from a business, not from a private seller."

So on private sales the caveat of "Buyer Beware" still very much applies.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down