The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where Am I?

+4
burlingtonboaby
jollywalker
oldfred
maricardo
8 posters

Go down

Where Am I? Empty Where Am I?

Post by maricardo Sun May 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Thirty days hath September, April, June and November.........

For as many years as I can remember I've had watches that need date adjustment after "short" months.  Today I travelled many miles to an event that happened yesterday.
maricardo
maricardo

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : sussex duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Where Am I? Empty Re: Where Am I?

Post by oldfred Sun May 10, 2015 4:30 pm

Yes we are so used to smart phone and pc's that do this for us. I clicked my 1972 watch, cheap family heirloom, on two days by mistake. Still it doesn't need batteries or charging.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Sun May 10, 2015 5:11 pm

Ah, I have a watch that sets it's time accurately every night and automatically updates date changes, British Summer Time etc. Plus it is solar powered, no batteries to worry about.  wellhappy
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun May 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Mines a Seiko automatic watch, no batteries, just plenty of wrist action. (Ex Teeny Weeny airways )
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi there,

I love 1st July and 1st December as I know that on both dates I get up to 90 days without having to touch my watch!!

I presume other people on the Forum can remember when we wore the very best of watches and when asked the time still said something on the lines of "about half past" or "just gone quarter to" and always followed with "I think"!

Here's a good one.

Back in the 1980's I met a man who was totally blind and who wore a wrist watch that "spoke" the time.  Not so rare these days but back in the 80's very much a novelty.

The chap was fiercely independent and whenever possible refused any help as he went about on his travels.  (I met him when he was on a mountain walking holiday with a friend who could see!!!)

Anyway, he told the tale of when he was visiting his friend and decided to leave and go home by bus.  He knew where the bus-stop was from his friends house but didn't know at what time the bus came by.  Undeterred he set off, walked to the bus-stop and stood waiting for the bus.

Within a couple of minutes he heard two women approach the bus-stop so he asked them if they could look at the bus timetable and let him know how soon it would be before his bus arrived.

They agreed to his request but one of them pointed out that as they didn't know the time themselves they couldn't really be much use to him.

"That's not a problem." he said "I can easily tell you the time." so he reached over to his left wrist, pressed the button and bent over to listen to the words spoken by the watch.

"It's ten past two." he said to the two women as he straightened up.  He didn't get an immediate response and thinking that they hadn't heard him he repeated the information.  It still took a couple of seconds and then one of the women said "Oh, right." paused for a few seconds and said "The next bus will be along in about five minutes then."  The man thanked them and still wondering what had caused the ladies to hesitate turned away to check that his flies were okay.

To his relief, his flies were properly done up and a few minutes later the problem was resolved when he heard one of the ladies whisper to the other "Did you see that?  His dog can only tell the bloody time!"

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi all,

I work as an outdoor education instructor in a residential centre for schools, mostly with kids of ten and eleven. They stay with us for 4 or 5 days.

They frequently want to know the time.

As I have done the same activities for 35 years, I can usually tell the time without a watch to within 5 minutes. I don't wear a watch on my wrist but keep it in a trouser pocket. 

The kids are astonished when I look up at the sun and announce the time, I then make great play of producing my watch and showing it to them. Little do they realise that I may have checked the time 10 or 15 minutes before they ask!!

What really gets them going is if I 'look' at the sun at night, or peer at a nearby tree, post, wall etc.

Love winding them up. They think it is magic!

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 pm

hugegrins   hugegrins   hugegrins   hugegrins

Cruel .... but undoubtedly good fun!! 

Ian
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon May 11, 2015 11:00 pm

My brother has one of those fancy watches that adjusts to the Countries time zone when travelling. However, when we were transiting several countries and night stopping near borders it invariably picked the wrong countries time zone so he was regularly an hour early or an hour late. snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue May 12, 2015 8:26 am

In the late 60's & 70's I worked permanent early-shift (6.00-14.00) & every summer/winter hour change, I got it wrong, so much so that I became the joke of the workshop!!
Spring forward, i'd be an hour late, fall back, & I was at work an hour early.
I managed to do this twice a year for 14 years,   boy could I have done with a 'posh' watch in those days. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum