The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring on habitation door

2 posters

Go down

Spring on habitation door Empty Spring on habitation door

Post by Kathy Wed May 06, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi Guys, How come things go wrong when your just to take off. The spring on the bottom of the habitation door has broken. Will have to pay a visit to the nearest caravan dealer and hope he has something in his workshop that will do the job.. Is this a common problem with the habitation door or are we just unfortunate. Regards Kathy
Kathy
Kathy

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Spring on habitation door Empty Re: Spring on habitation door

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 06, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm presuming you mean that the locking mechanism at the bottom of the door has lost its 'spring'.

If so its is a problem I had once with my last van. The hardest bit is dismantling the trim to get at the mechanism, its held by both screws and double sided tape and is quite fragile.

I found that my spring had sheared at the neck of one end. I unwound a loop of the spring, shaped it accordingly and it served for the remaining two years I had the van and is probably still ok now.

Peter #1

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Spring on habitation door Empty Re: Spring on habitation door

Post by Kathy Wed May 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks for your quick reply Peter and your right with your diagnosis that's exactly where it's broken. Unfortunately George couldn't unwind the spring to fit as it had only 2 turns. But being a hoarder he managed to improvise with an old spring and hey presto it works we'll get away on schedule unless something else goes wrong. Regards Kathy
Kathy
Kathy

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down