The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it me???

+2
Gromit
modelman
6 posters

Go down

Is it me??? Empty Is it me???

Post by modelman Tue May 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Well somethings happened, for around a week or so, going onto Google maps, I get a different opening page, the map detail is different, a whole line of local photo-views that I don't want & therefore have to shut-down, navigating around is different, not so good for me anyhow, & getting directions is now much worse, Why do these people change stuff?? If it aint broke, why fix it. fight

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Is it me??? Empty Re: Is it me???

Post by Gromit Tue May 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Pain in the backside isn't it. It's the "new" version and it has been around for ages. You've just been lucky enough to avoid it, and stay on the old version.

I think the old one is about to be discontinued, which may be why you have been forced onto the new one.

The worst aspect is the huge white panel to the left of the screen, which gets in the way more than the line of photo's, which are easily switched off - but you have to do it every time you look at a different map!!

There is a way to toggle the panel off and back on, but I can't find the website which has it. Will have another look and post if I do find it.

Dave

P.S. You do get used to it - no option really. It does get easier, but like you and thousands of others on the Web, I also much preferred the old version.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue May 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Ah - found it.

It isn't flawless, but it works pretty well, mostly.

Just follow the instructions and drag the big orange "Toggle Google Maps" onto your bookmarks bar, then you can click the panel off and on again as and when you need it - or want to be rid of the censored! thing!

http://alexwlchan.net/2013/08/google-maps/

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Tue May 05, 2015 3:25 pm

It's not just you modelman.
OS have just brought out a new version of their online "getamaps" service and like the Googlemaps that you mention, I find (as usual) the older one to be a lot clearer and easier to use.
I often wonder why these things need to be "improved" and reckon it's  just somebody in the IT department making sure senior management aware they're still lurking in a back office somewhere.

Having said all that, I seem to recall this forum website being vastly improved on the last upgrade but that was mostly down to it just being changed to a brighter colour. allthumbz
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Tue May 05, 2015 4:33 pm

nuevoboy wrote:I often wonder why these things need to be "improved" and reckon it's  just somebody in the IT department making sure senior management aware they're still lurking in a back office somewhere
And that person "lurking" will probably be about 16 years old whose remit will be to change things just for the sake of it. Bob
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Tue May 05, 2015 9:05 pm

I too found OS Getamap has changed, though hoping for the better as no longer is there a need for 'Silverlight', and it should work on phone and tablet, but have not tried that yet.
I guess if things stay the same, no-one can claim there has been any 'progress'?
scratch head
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed May 06, 2015 10:28 am

Hi there,

I have never used Google maps so don't know the problem; but there are many alternatives.

I use the following to check on a route ....

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk

.... and if I already know where I am going and just want to check out the coordinates for the GPS....

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

They both have satellite views if you want to check out a site or place before you go somewhere.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum