The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Round vent draught covers

+2
Jaytee
CC
6 posters

Go down

Round vent draught covers Empty Round vent draught covers

Post by CC Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:47 pm

When I was at Marquis Northants back in November on one of their Marquis Majestic motorhomes it had one these covers fitted over the round vent.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Our Broadway has one of the round vents on the outside wall where the microwave is sited, presumably to let out heat but when the wind blows it's pretty drafty around the microwave 

I asked the manager at Marquis Northants if they could supply one of these covers and he didn't have a clue, showed him the cover on the Motorhome in the showroom and he said he'd find out, needless to say I never heard no more (surprise surprise) I understand swift make the majestic for Marquis 

Has anyone seen these anywhere as I've looked online and can't find anything like it anywhere? Another concern is the current round vent appears to be completely open as is the one on the opposite side of van into the back of the wardrobe and neither even have a fine mesh inside like some I've seen so what's to stop spiders, insects or wasps getting in though these into the van? confused0

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Round vent draught covers Empty Re: Round vent draught covers

Post by Jaytee Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Will be very interested if someone comes back with details as we have the same problem. Like having air conditioning on full cold all round the microwave and the vent for the microwave 'inside' the van. I have had the inside vent blocked virtually since we had the van and was going to remove and fit a blank behind the outside vents and then refit them but didn't want to disturb the sealant. We rarely use the m/w as not often on EHU and I am sure the internal vent which is quite big would do the job anyway.
Good point re insect ingress, will go and have a looksie to see if ours has mesh. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I can get the vents with mesh from my local camping shop off the shelf or Amazon which would stop the insect situation (has anyone personally had insects in via these vents out of interest?) 

The vent covers pictured would certainly cut down on drafts though cold

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 am

CC,
I think you will find that the round vent on the 'off-side' of the van is the balanced flue of the Boiler/Heater.
Best to leave that one alone!
We did not get the microwave (or indeed the TV) with our 18month old van, so we do get quite a draught coming through the vent bend the microwave shelf.
I shall look into ways of reducing the airflow through it although I am always wary of blocking off all avenues of ventilation.
Would be interested to hear if you source some suitable product as per your pic.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi Backtrax 

Finally tracked down this part... 

Turns out it's an Eldiss part and is manufactured by ESP plastics 

Marquis got me one but when I came to fix it I noticed it had been filed at an angle on the back so the recess was lower on one side than the other, it's fitted ok'ish but I'm looking into obtaining another from another source either an Eldiss dealer or direct from ESP plastics although it looks like they might not sell direct to anyone other than the trade.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:49 pm

I cant post it this week but I have a pic of one installed on a friends AS. Also another friend is looking to make a mould to make some triangular shaped covers. Modelman could produce some, pity he's retired.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

This does throw up an interesting dilemma.

Whilst the vent cover facing backwards will create a vacuum pulling air out of the van, when travelling or when the wind is head-on, it will actually force-feed the draught when the wind is up your backside...............so to speak.

Opening facing downwards.............??? scratch head

As a matter of interest, my retro-fit m/w has no ventilation whatsoever, there again we only use it occasionally. I'm pretty sure this would be the case for all retro-fits.
I wonder if any members have had any damp/mould issues in this area?

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:47 pm

What about one of these instead...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:01 am

PennyandDerek wrote:This does throw up an interesting dilemma.

Whilst the vent cover facing backwards will create a vacuum pulling air out of the van, when travelling or when the wind is head-on, it will actually force-feed the draught when the wind is up your backside...............so to speak.

Opening facing downwards.............??? scratch head

Derek

Hi Derek... I don't follow mate, the vent is fitted with the opening facing downwards? Maybe my photos haven't published to the forum in the correct orientation but view ok on my iPad.

Having contacted a local Eldiss parts dealer & ESP plastics direct I've had a reply from neither which I kinda expected as that seems the norm in the Motorhome industry, it's extremely rare to get any kind of reply rolleyes

With regard the vent fitted I'm more than happy with the design, as its purpose made to fit the round vents and I think they look neat and more attractive than the open round vents, just wish they were more easily obtainable as it's took me six months to source just the one! shrugg Not been away in the van since fitting it, but it's certainly noticably less drafty sitting on the drive so seems to work as hoped smile!

Male

Back to top Go down