The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A/S Sprinter dash and steering wheel.

+8
oakchipper
Shuggiegreen
Claytaa
groundhog
-mojo-
Peter Brown
padraigpost
Pete Taylor
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A/S Sprinter dash and steering wheel. Empty A/S Sprinter dash and steering wheel.

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Having read in another thread that some customers have apparently got new-spec Sprinter vans fitted with old type dash and without the multifunction steering wheel I thought that the subject ought to be aired and let's see who has got what (and possibly why).

I've just received the latest brochure from Mercedes which lists the "multifunction steering wheel with trip computer" as "Standard Equipment". Photos show four rocker type switches on the wheel; on the left an up/down arrow (cruise control or radio?) and a switch for changing between screens on the trip computer visual displays. On the right  a +/- switch and a telephone answer/"replace handset" switch.

When I get delivery of my "2015 spec" Stanton in a few weeks, what will I get?

Cheers,
Pete.

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

A/S Sprinter dash and steering wheel. Empty Re: A/S Sprinter dash and steering wheel.

Post by padraigpost Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:46 pm

I rather suspect you will get the old type without steering wheel controls, in the forum about central locking "claytaa" stated he had asked if his soon to be delivered 2015 Bourton would have steering wheel controls and he was told no, I also checked the Mercedes website and it says that steering wheel controls are standard on the new cab and I was also told this by the Mercedes dealer when I had the central locking fault repaired so it would appear that A/S have down specified the cab to save money, also on my Bourton even though a Heki roof light was shown on the spec list (and still is) a Remis rooflight is fitted to mine which is inferior to the Heki which I had on my previous Suffolk and Surrey models and the roof air con is not the Dometic with the window but a Truma Aventa (which is very good so this does not bother me to much), so if A/S can save money on each build it will amount to a considerable sum.

Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

A/S Sprinter dash and steering wheel. Empty Re: A/S Sprinter dash and steering wheel.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 pm

I don't have a Sprinter cab although I aspire to one, it's way out of my price range.
This is typically how car manufacturers used to operate to maintain margins whilst increasing prices and I find it deplorable AS should do this on their flagship vans with such convenience features which you would expect to be standard on vans circa £70k.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:19 pm

All mercs at NEC today have new radio but basic steering wheel.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Peter Brown wrote:All mercs at NEC today have new radio but basic steering wheel.

Peter
So what A-S is selling me as a "2015 spec" is not even a 2014 spec base vehicle? Photos of the 2013 spec wheel don't appear to show any switches. It will be interesting to check out the M-B build date is.
It seems a curious situation where RHD UK Sprinters from the "new model" launch at the start of 2014 have had multi-function steering wheel as standard equipment, yet A-S have sourced some RHD vehicles without. Could they be intended for a different RHD market- Ireland, perhaps?

Edit: see below, there are differences between the paper brochures and the on-line versions!!!!  think_smiley_46

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks for that info Peter, seems like nothing is going to change then, such a shame when it is a standard Merc. spec to down spec. them for cost savings, I am sure most buyers would pay a little extra for the steering wheel controls.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Update!:  I've been trawling the M-B online brochures and specs, which are different from the paper brochure they sent me. There is a "new, multifunction steering wheel" which is the one I described above the standard wheel has has four spokes, the bottom two being that brushed alluminium look. There are two round switches with symbols on them too small to read. The multi-function wheel is described as an optional extra and there is a film to show how it operates- see last link here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Guess I'll have to wait and see what I get! Actually (to me) it is not such a big deal, my AUDI TT has quite a few switches on the wheel but I'm too old to remember to use them! rolleyes

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:16 pm

I probably shouldn't be rushing to Auto-Sleepers' defence here, but I doubt it's as simple as A-S down-speccing their vehicles.

I'm not familiar with MB, but if VW are anything to go by, the base vehicles are supplied on a "we reserve the right to vary specification without notice" basis. And they do! Vans turn up without engine and body undertrays and without other items - sometimes even without options that the customer has ordered as special options, if they run out of them. In recent months, many T5s that were ordered with cruise control turned up without, and the only remedy being offered is a very unpleasant looking aftermarket unit which is being bolted on by dealers!

So... I suspect this may be more down to MB production constraints than any deliberate cost-saving exercise by A-S...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Just ask them to spec the van with what you want, it can be done.We asked for heated seats for example, yes you have to pay extra but surely worth it for a long term purchase.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:34 pm

I asked for a multi function wheel and was told, no can do!
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:48 am

Suspect someone is just being lazy, there should be no reason at all why you cannot have what you want if you are prepared to pay the extra. Perhaps they just want to sell you a stock chassis rather than sell you what you actually want!

The other way round it is to speak to your local MB dealer and ask them about retrofitting a new column and multi function wheel, from memory they wanted about £600 for a new adjustable column when I asked but I decided not to go ahead with that. I did not ask for a multi function wheel though.

I hate the cheap steering wheels you get as standard on nearly all motorhomes so got a new leather steering wheel from Royal steering wheels which MB fitted for me for FREE! ( not multi function but it feels great)
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:57 am

Was told No can do by the factory not the dealer. Told them I would pay the extra, they said "we can't fit what we don't have" They said I could have a Euro 6 at no extra cost (I believe there is a £1500 hike for the later engine) and the vehicle (yet to arrive) was built to order so I hope I get the latest spec. I opted for Euro 5 for other reasons.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 am

I dont think you can depend on what the brochure says as there is usually a disclaimer on it some where which says A/S have the right to change the spec at anytime.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by oakchipper Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi

I appreciate you are all discussing the curent models however I have a 1997 Medallion on a Sprinter chassis,even though it is a 97 reg vehicle it appears to be a 95/6 chassis.
Could it be that AS pre buy chassis in bulk or do they bulk buy old or excess stock.

Pete
oakchipper
oakchipper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:49 pm

How A/S buy their stock only they will know, but, unless they are bucking the trend, they will pre buy a number of chassis to their own specification at a fixed cost. For that reason they will not necessarily have the same basics as a stock Mercedes Sprinter van and the options will not be available.
Ask for something different and "We can't fit what we don't have" is quite correct.

They could ask for a chassis outside of their spec including whatever the customer wanted, that is not in their interest though as they will naturally want to sell the chassis they already have in stock.

If we all tried to buy 'non stock' items then they would not be able to get the bases chassis at a lower price and the cost of the vehicle would go up or their profit would come down.

I repeat my only suggestion, ask Mercedes Benz if they can retrofit whatever it is you want, as another example MB quoted £350 for an upgraded sound system, A/S would not have supplied this.

It is a shame when spending £70k that is the way it is but suspect we cannot do a lot about it. scratch head
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm pretty certain that groundhog has 'hit the nail on the head'.

The steering wheel doesn't stand alone, it has to be part of a package that includes a different sound system and different interface into the computer adjustable functions. The vans will be bought to a spec and that is it.

I don't know if it is still the same but Peugeot chassis weren't paid for till the complete conversion was sold. Mercedes chassis have to be paid for on delivery to AS - a factor I'm sure.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Thanks for all the well-meaning posts but I suspect that Claytaa and I are the only folks on the forum who appear to be in the position of having ordered (and stumped up a serious amount of money for)  "2015 specification" vehicles. 
It actually goes a bit further than steering wheels and dashboards (although the dashboards  are significantly different from the previous ones).
Apart from the cosmetic changes to the front end we are looking at new engines, suspension, electronics. Surely if M-B have set out their current spec, A-S should be obliged, under the Sale of Goods (implied-terms) Act to comply?

Having ordered this vehicle back in July; am I being somewhat sensitive in feeling somewhat neglected in not receiving a single written communication from either the dealer or, more importantly Auto Sleepers?
Do they ever read this forum, if not; we might as well all just give up.

I've been to the dealer maybe six times but it seems that they are unable to get much (anything) in the way of technical information  (or delivery dates) from A-S.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Peter,
I was able to get a delivery date, Oct 6th. The vehicle landed yesterday, a bit late but reasonable. Needs to have pdi and a couple of bits done the collect on Tuesday. I think the big Birmingham show had put them under pressure. I don't think the 2015 model has had any enhancements, I will find out in due course!
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Claytaa wrote:Hi Peter,
I was able to get a delivery date, Oct 6th. The vehicle landed yesterday, a bit late but reasonable. Needs to have pdi and a couple of bits done the collect on Tuesday. I think the big Birmingham show had put them under pressure. I don't think the 2015 model has had any enhancements, I will find out in due course!
Keep us posted!
When I ordered back in July I was told that the 2015 interior "wood" would be lighter but with more grain and that the lower edge of the high-level cupboards could be either same wood, or cream lacquer. A-S sent me a new brochoure today which only showed this cream lacquer on the Pug coach-builts (with a very dreary colour of "wood") the Merc interiors were a much nicer-looking wood finish, lighter than last year's and some of the high-level locker doors showed a light-grey upper section.

The brochure states that engines will be Euro V, rather than Euro VI, which M-B have had available since March, at extra cost.

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:55 am

Went to see van on yesterday, the interior is the same wood as my previous 2012 Warick. Good thing was they have changed to Domitec fridges. Spinney said that they hadn't seen one in a AS for some years? Had a quick inspection and on the face of it the quality seemed excellent. Time will tell. Picking up Tuesday.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi Claytaa,
                 congrats on your Bourton, you will love it, ours is great, we too have the Dometic fridge much better than the Thetford rubbish, make sure on collection you receive a little bag containing spare locks for your outside lockers you will probably find that all the lockers have a different key as ours did, 1 for the skirt locker ,one for drop down locker/ habitation door and one for the thetford toilet access door, we also have an extra one for the manual water filler which I specified,  also in the bag should be a small brass connector for your external BBQ point.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks Don, how are you getting on with the locking after 40 seconds?
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:01 pm

The locking is no problem if you get into the habit of locking with the central locking when you first get to site and then only using the manual habitation door lock when on site.

I have seen both Ford and Peugeot owners locked out (not Merc though as we are too sensible) so I have a spare hab door key where I can get to it from the outside if the worst should happen.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks Peter.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Claytaa,
                 I usually remember the 40 sec autolock but what I do is the same as what Peter said, I keep one of the 2 keys that open both the under seat locker and the habitation door in my wallet just in case.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next