The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof light not lifting up

4 posters

Go down

Roof light not lifting up Empty Roof light not lifting up

Post by hblewett Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 pm

I went to wind up the roof light tonight and instead of winding up, there was a brief 'click', followed by continuous winding of the handle but with nothing happening to the roof light.  After a while, I decided to push the roof light up with my hand, and it did 'lock' into a position at about 45 deg.

So I put my head through the hole and could see that the black 'end blocks' of the cable were winding in and out with the rotation of the lifting handle, but they do not seem to be connected to the blocks on the arms which lift and lower the roof light.  It looks as if something has jumped out of place, but that the mechanism is basically still working OK.  I though I would ask if anyone has any experience of this problem, and/or how to go about fixing it before I wade in, only to end up with springs or whatever propelling themselves all over the place!! scratch head 

Any advice would be welcome, as we are due to go off in a few days time, and I reckon I've not much chance of getting it looked at by a workshop within 3/4 working days.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Roof light not lifting up Empty Re: Roof light not lifting up

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 am

When the top half of one of my rooflights parted company during a storm in Ravenna a couple of weeks ago I visited a very large Italian caravan workshop and discovered there are at least 50 different variants of roof light so a lot more detail and photographs required before we can try to assist.

It turns out mine must have been obsolete as soon as its made, AS don't use them anymore and no one else has heard of the manufacturer so I'm having to have a complete new vent fitted next week.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Ravenna ??? Peter
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Italy

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Roof light not lifting up Empty rooflight troubles

Post by paul bullock Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 pm

I have a 2012 Nuevo with a heki 3 rooflight, similar problem , I looked at the cable mechanism and found one of the screws holding the cable drive had come adrift it had been overtightened and had stripped the plastic . I replaced it with a slightly larger dia screw and a blob of locktite and all has been ok.Hope this is of some help!       Regards Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks for all your comments.  I have had some of it apart today, and found that the support arm carriers have somehow got themselves in front of the blocks (on which they should sit) which wind in and out to raise the roof.  I cannot see how this can possibly have happened, so, thinking that if it could 'jump' off the block it must also be possible to ease it back on.  This proved to be incorrect, as I ende up breaking one of the plastic components.

So it looks like I'll have to have a complete new winding mechanism - at a cost of about £60, it could be worse so_sad
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down