The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automatic Step Light Operation

3 posters

Go down

Automatic Step Light Operation Empty Automatic Step Light Operation

Post by inspiredron Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:42 pm

A few weeks ago I was looking at the wiring diagram for my van to find where I could take a feed for a fridge cooling fan. To my surprise I noticed that the feed for the awning light also powers the step light. But that is not so in my van as the step light is controlled by control panel on/off whereas the awning light is on Aux. Having already added the jumpers into my EM50 to link step and awning light to the central locking I realised how convenient it would  be if the step light really was linked to the awning light. Running a feed to behind the fridge from the awning light seems a bit difficult, even though I understand that the awning light feed is under the cover in the top front nearside locker but I wonder if I might be able to run a wire across, under the van, from the EM50? Has anyone done this? I read somewhere that you can do a double feed to retain 'permanent' operation but you need a diode in the feed from the EM50.
Currently we don't use the step light because its switching is so awkwardly placed and having it working from the central locking would be a bonus.
I guess this might also be relevant to Merc based vans.

Last edited by inspiredron on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Automatic Step Light Operation Empty Re: Automatic Step Light Operation

Post by Backtrax Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 am

Ron,
I would be keen to do the same, so need to understand a little more of your issue.
Two initial questions.
1. You say your step light is currently controlled by the panel on/off switch.
This seems a bit strange. Have you checked that the cover of the light itself is not a switch i.e. with control panel power ON you depress the light cover to switch the light on/off.

2. What exactly is the 'jumper link' you mention on the EM50 which connects the central locking to the awning light?

Ken
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Sorry if my post was misleading. The step light has its built in switch by pushing the lens but its power is always on (or maybe always on if the Sargent panel is switched on).
To learn aboug the jumpers download the EM50 technical information ffom here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
You will see that there are three sets of jumper pins inside the EM50. Putting little jumpers over the pins will make the step pop in with lock, pop out with unlock and switch awning light on for a short period with the step operation.  Be warned however - a recommendation has been issued that the auto step in should NOT be activated.  Apparently this is for safety as somebody might be standing on the step when the remote was plipped! Seriously - manufacturers have issued an instruction on disabling that function by removing the jumper. Your EM50 won't have any jumpers. I got mine from an old scrapped PC.
Hopefully my previous post now makes sense.
The pdf that I hsve referred you to mentions the diode and I have also seen that I simply need to run a wire from terminal 15 on the EC50 to the step light. I may simply remove and insulate the existing feed so that I don't have to bother with the diode.

PS  Here is the link to the instructions for disabling the step in function to which I referred:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It does not give the reason!

Last edited by inspiredron on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added ps and then modified link)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:14 pm

I've fitted a cak tanks fan with auto switching, the switch has 3 positions on, off and auto I leave it on auto all the time. I fitted the fan and switch to the angled canopy above rear of fridge. I fed the wiring down to the bottom fridge vent opening and I managed to feed the wires through the rear of cupboards and into the under seating where the battery is, I fitted a bladed fuse holder and connected directly to leisure batteries. Had no trouble with fridge whatsoever on our recent 6 weeks Benidorm trip.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down