The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No spare wheel for Stanton

+3
DeeGee7
padraigpost
plato2012
7 posters

Go down

No spare wheel for Stanton Empty No spare wheel for Stanton

Post by plato2012 Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:40 am

Just got my new Stanton. Although Mercedes say they provide a spare wheel for all of their chassis, Auto Sleeper do not provide one presumably as there is insufficient space after fitting water tanks. On collection I was informed that Auto Sleeper no longer supply the previously fitted tyre inflator and gunk. There could be great inconvenience in the UK, on the continent Green Flag charge an excess of £100 for a call out where there is no spare and obtaining a replacement tyre is likely to take a considerable time.

Has anyone had experience of using the gunk or obtaining replacement tyres on the continent?

Has anyone an idea as to how a spare could be carried? Perhaps on the rear (as Auto Trail) or even on a tow bar.
plato2012
plato2012

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

No spare wheel for Stanton Empty Re: No spare wheel for Stanton

Post by padraigpost Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 am

A company called CMF engineering  of Ross on wye manufacture a towball mounted spare wheel carrier, when I had the Mercedes based Suffolk model I carried a spare wheel in a small trailer but now I have a Bourton it comes with the a spare wheel mounted under the rear.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi there
I had a look undeneath a Stanton last year at motor plus in Derby. I noticed no spare wheel and queried it. I'm not sure sure it's to do with the tanks or RWD. I think it's probably not fitted due to payload issues, which on the  3200 kg chassis is only around 250kg....if I remember correctly.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeGee7 Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:52 am

plato2012 wrote:Just got my new Stanton. Although Mercedes say they provide a spare wheel for all of their chassis, Auto Sleeper do not provide one presumably as there is insufficient space after fitting water tanks. On collection I was informed that Auto Sleeper no longer supply the previously fitted tyre inflator and gunk. There could be great inconvenience in the UK, on the continent Green Flag charge an excess of £100 for a call out where there is no spare and obtaining a replacement tyre is likely to take a considerable time.

Has anyone had experience of using the gunk or obtaining replacement tyres on the continent?

Has anyone an idea as to how a spare could be carried? Perhaps on the rear (as Auto Trail) or even on a tow bar.

Surely the pump and gunk are supplied as original equipment by Mercedes? On my Hampshire both are located under the drivers seat.

Dave G
DeeGee7
DeeGee7

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Absolutely amazing such an expensive outfit has no spare wheel or the gunk they could surely find a place for a spare wheel I would not like to travel 5 miles without this protection.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:18 pm

My recollection and thoughts were similar to hoopman. There is a Stanton parked behind me if I get chance will ask him can I have a look tomorrow (he is a forum member)  with a few warranty issues going on over the van.

I have seen the towbar ones that seem OK also have seen them on roof bars where space permits
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:30 pm

padraigpost wrote:A company called CMF engineering  of Ross on wye manufacture a towball mounted spare wheel carrier, when I had the Mercedes based Suffolk model I carried a spare wheel in a small trailer but now I have a Bourton it comes with the a spare wheel mounted under the rear.
Don
Thanks again Don. Been on their web site, nothing showing but have emailed a query. My thinking is that I would carry the spare only when going on continent. Peter.
plato2012
plato2012

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi Peter,
           If you google  motorhome spare wheel carrier you will find 3 pictures, 2 are under slung but the centre on is towbar mounted pictured with a wheel in position and is the one made by CMF, hope this helps.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:28 pm

padraigpost wrote:Hi Peter,
           If you google  motorhome spare wheel carrier you will find 3 pictures, 2 are under slung but the centre on is towbar mounted pictured with a wheel in position and is the one made by CMF, hope this helps.
Don
Thanks again for all your suggestions. CMF have responded that they no longer manufacture a spare carrier. Today I had the tow bar fitted, after discussions I had to accept a swan neck type as this is the only "type approved" tow bar for the vehicle and the only one that can be legally fitted to a post 2012 vehicle. This means there is nowhere to attach a spare wheel carrier. 

I will now press AS to supply the compressor and gunk which, the handbook says, is provided but my dealer says is no longer supplied. Like the brochure illustrates a cooker hood but it is "no longer supplied, the drop down doors beneath each bunk (shown in the brochure) are "no longer supplied" and the daytime led running lights (illustrated in the brochure) are replaced by a standard old fashion bulb when the vehicle arrives. It seems that AS are on economy drive when supplying a vehicle for £60,999.

Peter
plato2012
plato2012

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:51 am

I already raised this issue here:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Moderators: is it possible to merge these threads?  smile!  smile! 

At the moment we are intending to order a new Stanton (unless circumstances change  confused3  in a couple of onths). I absolutely could not live without a spare wheel, as we tend to visit remote locations and the chances of being able to get hold of a new (Motor-Caravan spec) tyre quickly seems low, even in cities!
I'm intending to fit a tow-bar and the rack: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but will probably not mount it on the tow-ball, rather I shall make a hefty bracket which will be stronger, more secure and slightly lower, allowing easier access to the bike rack above. I am an engineer (or used to be!).
This will necessitate the a new number-plate board (with extra lights) and will incorporate one of those hatched red/white boards which are required in some countries.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am

Pete Taylor wrote:I already raised this issue here:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Moderators: is it possible to merge these threads?  smile!  smile! 

At the moment we are intending to order a new Stanton (unless circumstances change  confused3  in a couple of onths). I absolutely could not live without a spare wheel, as we tend to visit remote locations and the chances of being able to get hold of a new (Motor-Caravan spec) tyre quickly seems low, even in cities!
I'm intending to fit a tow-bar and the rack: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but will probably not mount it on the tow-ball, rather I shall make a hefty bracket which will be stronger, more secure and slightly lower, allowing easier access to the bike rack above. I am an engineer (or used to be!).
This will necessitate the a new number-plate board (with extra lights) and will incorporate one of those hatched red/white boards which are required in some countries.
Thanks Pete, This looks like the solution for £129 plus the wheel and tyre. It will fit beneath the cycle rack and looks professional. I don't think it will obscure the lights but a new number plate will be necessary. Thanks again Plato.
plato2012
plato2012

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 am

Plato,
The vehicle lights will be OK but the new number-plate will require lighting- the easiest way to do this would seem to be a plug-in trailer lighting board, I would reduce the width of this to that of the wheel, this would give repeater indicators, red and brake lights too!
It looks like there are two version of the bak-rak, I would go for the heavier duty one, for larger wheels.
Don't forget the cost of the tow-bar bracket, I've had an estimate for £400-£500.

Cheers,
Pete.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

No spare wheel for Stanton Empty Stanton No Spare Wheel

Post by plato2012 Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:55 am

Pete Taylor wrote:Plato,
The vehicle lights will be OK but the new number-plate will require lighting- the easiest way to do this would seem to be a plug-in trailer lighting board, I would reduce the width of this to that of the wheel, this would give repeater indicators, red and brake lights too!
It looks like there are two version of the bak-rak, I would go for the heavier duty one, for larger wheels.
Don't forget the cost of the tow-bar bracket, I've had an estimate for £400-£500.

Cheers,
Pete.
Got the tow bar fitted on Tuesday, seems that it is not that easy. My dealer was to fit a "type approve" tow bar but decided it was beyond them for the Stanton although they have done other AS. I proposed TowTal at Stoke who fitted my previous one but on seeing the photographs of the underside said they could not fit either. Ended up near Pontefract at Armitages, it took them 7 hours not the 4 quoted but I am now ready to tow my Morgan (on a trailer) next week. When towing, the AS spare can go on the trailer of course. Don't know the cost of the tow bar as negotiated as part of the deal when ordering the Stanton, along with extra battery, larger solar panel, extra shelves in cupboards and moving the ECU further into the locker to free up space.
Had a few problems post delivery, drivers door dropped and needed adjustment, loud noise from exhaust baffle on acceleration and lpg gauge showed empty after five nights use but only accepted 8 Litres at refill. All now corrected but I still have virtually no FM signal on the radio which dealer has as yet been unable to fix, I suspect the aerial is not connected somewhere between the cab and the roof but they cannot get at it, may have to return to AS. These problems apart we are absolutely delighted with the Stanton build quality and the driving experience is so different from a 130bhp Fiat manual, the auto is so relaxing to drive, looking forward to towing next week, I am sure that it will do well.
Regards Plato
plato2012
plato2012

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 am

Do you race the Morgan at all? I'm a motor-sports photographer currently up to my eyes, post-Le Mans Classic and have just done some Morgan photos!
Did you go for the engine upgrade- at only £605 extra it seems a no-brainer (can't remember if this is part of the A-S auto-package, looks like the MPG is better too!

Enjoy you van!
Pete.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeGee7 Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:05 am

plato2012 wrote:

Cheers,
Pete.
Got the tow bar fitted on Tuesday, seems that it is not that easy. My dealer was to fit a "type approve" tow bar but decided it was beyond them for the Stanton although they have done other AS. I proposed TowTal at Stoke who fitted my previous one but on seeing the photographs of the underside said they could not fit either. Ended up near Pontefract at Armitages, it took them 7 hours not the 4 quoted but I am now ready to tow my Morgan (on a trailer) next week. When towing, the AS spare can go on the trailer of course. Don't know the cost of the tow bar as negotiated as part of the deal when ordering the Stanton, along with extra battery, larger solar panel, extra shelves in cupboards and moving the ECU further into the locker to free up space.
Had a few problems post delivery, drivers door dropped and needed adjustment, loud noise from exhaust baffle on acceleration and lpg gauge showed empty after five nights use but only accepted 8 Litres at refill. All now corrected but I still have virtually no FM signal on the radio which dealer has as yet been unable to fix, I suspect the aerial is not connected somewhere between the cab and the roof but they cannot get at it, may have to return to AS. These problems apart we are absolutely delighted with the Stanton build quality and the driving experience is so different from a 130bhp Fiat manual, the auto is so relaxing to drive, looking forward to towing next week, I am sure that it will do well.
Regards Plato

I am interested in how much payload you have left after all the additions to your Stanton as we may have to downsize in the near future.

Dave G
DeeGee7
DeeGee7

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by plato2012 Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:03 pm

DeeGee7 wrote:
plato2012 wrote:

Cheers,
Pete.
Regards Plato

I am interested in how much payload you have left after all the additions to your Stanton as we may have to downsize in the near future.

Dave G
When we ordered we asked for the MGW plate to be upgraded to 3500kg, this is a post delivery paperwork exercise that we negotiated into the price but I think it is around £300. 3 weeks after delivery we got the new, self adhesive plate, just waiting for the replacement V5.

I have not weighed the vehicle yet as waiting for the tow bar to be fitted and to be honest I will weigh it with my standard kit on board rather than empty but I think that I am well under the 3500kg as we have had to cut down on what we take with us this unit being 600mm shorter than the previous, lost two top cupboards and a chunk of the two under bed lockers. 
Plato
plato2012
plato2012

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeGee7 Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Plato, thanks for that.
If you do weigh it could you add the result to this thread please.

Dave G
DeeGee7
DeeGee7

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:09 pm

plato2012 wrote:I still have virtually no FM signal on the radio which dealer has as yet been unable to fix, I suspect the aerial is not connected somewhere between the cab and the roof but they cannot get at it, may have to return to AS.
Regards Plato

My similar radio problems turned out to be an in line connection to the co-ax above the cab interior light leaving about 6"von inner exposed along with mega interference from the reversing camera power supply that was also located above the interior light. To make the radio work I have to disconnect the power from the camera system completely (not just switch the monitor off) and had the service centre add a switch to do that. I'm aware of another who has had the camera electronics moved away from the area and that worked as well.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down