The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

2 posters

Go down

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel Empty Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

Post by deka Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am

Removed my scuttle panel on Saturday, cleaned it, sealed it around the edge with Soudaflex. No sooner had I fixed it back together the heavens opened with a real good downpour, After it had stopped I lifted the bonnet and not a drop of water in sight. ( thank god )  allthumbz
deka
deka

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Sigma EL

Back to top Go down

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel Empty Re: Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

Post by Gram Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:04 pm

What made you use Soudaflex?

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel Empty Re: Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

Post by Guest Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Good news, I've seen so many engine bays on these chassis that have rusty parts due to water ingress. You may also find a need to do something at either end of the scuttle with the drain holes. On my previous Nuevo I used some pipe inserts in the drain holes and attached flexible tubing to drain the water safety to the floor behind the front wheels. It's such a shame that a manufacturer can't design a scuttle to do its job on an otherwise good vehicle.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by deka Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Already done the drain holes whilst the scuttle was off, I've used Soudaflex before so I know it bonds well with plastic and glass, and it is a cheaper form of stikaflex. As a retired ex glazier I've used loads  of silicone and know that Soudaflex works better
deka
deka

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Sigma EL

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:50 pm

I used Soudal Fix-All Classic on my scuttle and it appears to have worked, so far.

There are, of course, scores of different sealant/adhesives on the market and I just wondered what drives people to use a particular one.

I chose Soudal Fix-All Classic because it was recommended to me as a sealant and the spec indicated that it is a good adhesive.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down