The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter damp/cold

3 posters

Go down

Winter damp/cold Empty Winter damp/cold

Post by brianr7208 Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:21 am

think_smiley_46 Has anyone tried using an, "evaporative cooler with heater" unit as a form of winter damp control?  I have a PREM-I-AIR air cooling unit and I have wondered if it could be using to  take humidity out of the air during the winter months when parked up?
brianr7208
brianr7208

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

Winter damp/cold Empty Re: Winter damp/cold

Post by -mojo- Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:16 pm

brianr7208 wrote:think_smiley_46 Has anyone tried using an, "evaporative cooler with heater" unit as a form of winter damp control?  I have a PREM-I-AIR air cooling unit and I have wondered if it could be using to  take humidity out of the air during the winter months when parked up?

It's difficult to say because they make several products and you don't say which one you have.

But generally an evaporative cooler will not be any use at all in controlling damp. If it's one that includes a heater then that will help, but you would get the same effect by just using a heater!

[Edit - I should add that the Prem-I-Air unit I looked at is not even a dehumidifier - just a unit that evaporates water to provide cooling. But I may have been looking at the wrong model.]

Last edited by -mojo- on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi there,

I agree with mojo.

As ventilation is a "must" in any motorhome a dehumidifier will be trying to dry out the world.

With the outside humidity regularly over 95% at the moment we leave a small 700 watt Dimplex Chico heater switched on for a few hours in the middle of the night.  (This way we use the cheaper rate electricity.)

The heater doesn't have a specific temperature setting so I adjust it until no moisture condenses on the front windscreen overnight; and we have never considered that "Petal" feels or smells "damp".

Hope this helps.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by brianr7208 Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi Folks . . . 

Thanks very much for your considered comments . . . I do appreciate them.

I must admit that I half expected that it could well be a lost cause . . . but it is nice to have that confirmed.
The cooler goes back into the attic again!
 rolleyes 
Thank you Mojo for your guidance on how you manage things . . . perhaps I will go that way.
Cheers for now,
Brian
brianr7208
brianr7208

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down