The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Covering up for winter.

+7
TeamRienza
mikethebike
ian
roli
Dutto
Peter Brown
pulsechoes
11 posters

Go down

winter - Covering up for winter. Empty Covering up for winter.

Post by pulsechoes Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Looking for advice from the experts. I'm looking for a cover for my Topaz for winter and would appreciate 
opinions. I've looked at ones on Ebay, and am a bit confused with the descriptions!!! Which is the best one
to buy, "waterproof" or "water resistant"?  I live in Cumbria, by the way, so would probably need a "Deluge-
proof" one!!!
pulsechoes
pulsechoes

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz.
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

winter - Covering up for winter. Empty Re: Covering up for winter.

Post by Peter Brown Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Other than in a garage or under a carport, I'm a firm believer in not covering a motorhome. Its best to run it and thoroughly warm it through every couple of weeks keeping everything dry and ventilated and the running gear and engine in good working order.

Mine is a large van but I use it for routine road trips at least twice a week when not away.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi there,

I cannot see the point of using a cover as they are prone to condensation and some of them have been known to move enough to slough off paint!

Garage, car-port or open to the elements is my own recommendations in order of preference.

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:26 am

Agree with Peter and Ian, and imo these things could scratch the van and possibly damage roof items such as aerials, solar panels roof lights.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:05 am

Well, to Peter, Dutto and Roli.....I normally welcome and respect your comments...BUT

on this topic you're talking a 'load of rot' !

First however I do agree that undercover storage in a garage or properly constructed carport would be a first choice however with regard to other comments:

Do you have personal experience of using these covers ?

Have you done any serious research ?

Have you examined the large range and quality that's on offer today?

But even 'if'* for instance condensation was a problem would this really compare with the damage from the elements of rain, frost/ice, wind and snow +UV damage.

I have been using covers of one sort or another for the last thirty years or more on my vintage cars, caravans and motorhomes.

I have always taken care as to the type and quality of cover. I have never suffered the problems you describe.

When I read of the many problems that occur with caravans and motorhomes with their aging vans and the ingress of water and elements in winter

I do wonder what protection has been afforded to their vans over the years. 

A cover is not the perfect solution but the risks and damage of no protection at all far outweigh the smaller concerns.

I cover mine and I waxoyl underneath every two years. 

I'm very happy with the results and experience.

Cheers Ian.

manufacturer speak:
*microporous membrane chosen  is very breathable and does not let water through. It exhales condensation but does not inhale water and dust. The microscopic pores are 500 times smaller in diameter than water droplets
ian
ian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi I am trying one this year for the first time. it came with the van. its a made to measure one. 
Has an access door on the side to get in.
last year the van was horrible. I can understand if you use your van every week or so ,its not worth the bother.
mine has 5 months to stand.!
By the way I have years of leaving vehicles out in the open for up to 6 months at a time.
Its personal experience not hearsay. I have had no problems with petrol,diesel or tyres going off etc.
batteries are disconnected. Those that go in a garage, do so. its best for long term storage.
regards
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:59 pm

ian wrote:..............

Do you have personal experience of using these covers ?

Have you done any serious research ?

Have you examined the large range and quality that's on offer today?

Hi there,

"YES!" but not since 1963 when the cover I used on a Morris 10 rubbed some of the paint off the wings and the back corners of the roof.  I then rented a garage for 10/- a month.

I did buy a cover for my Pan European motorbike back in 2001 but I found that the chore of putting it on and taking it off became so time consuming that I ended up buying a shed for the bike!

"NO!" and "NO!" "Once Bitten - Twice Shy" as they say and as we use "Petal" all year round and the longest she ever sits on the drive is about two months.

I would also like to point out that all over France (and there are quite a few near Skegness as well) you can come across dozens of open-air Storage Facilities filled up with caravans and motorhomes for the winter; and without a cover in sight.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi pulsecho,

I use a cover each winter, no damp or condensation, no evidence of rubbing and with practice can put the cover on in ten minutes.

The cover is breathable, and since we park under a tree with attendant sap and * Inappropriate Word * issues it is great for taking the brunt and can be easily scrubbed when off the van and spread on the ground. (one of the other great topics is of course 'how to clean a roof'?) Saves prancing around 3 metres above ground on a wet slippy roof.

We also take the van out regularly to keep every thing aired and exercised.

Ours is a generic cover by royal and since I got it at half price, I regard it as disposable asset protecting an expensive asset.

4 years use and no regrets.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by SAB67246 Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:18 am

We live very close to the sea (90ft above) in windy and wet West Cork so to protect against the salt we use a Royal cover.  It had to be tied down and parked in the most sheltered part of the garden but still ballooned up.  I agree it is a pain to put on and it did rub a little but that is because we had been sent the wrong size!  The barn should be finished for Harriet over this winter so she is going to have be covered again until then smile! .
Shirley
SAB67246
SAB67246
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : 1993 Talbot Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by SAB67246 Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:19 am

We live very close to the sea (90ft above) in windy and wet West Cork so to protect against the salt we use a Royal cover.  It had to be tied down and parked in the most sheltered part of the garden but still ballooned up.  I agree it is a pain to put on and it did rub a little but that is because we had been sent the wrong size!  The barn should be finished for Harriet over this winter so she is going to have be covered again until then smile! .
Shirley
SAB67246
SAB67246
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : 1993 Talbot Harmony

Back to top Go down

winter - Covering up for winter. Empty Covering up-----

Post by pulsechoes Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi All, I'm listening to all these postings with great interest and will form my own opinion soon.
I'm initially tempted to get a "breathable" one. I had one on my Pilote, but the huge uneven 
flat roof area meant that it invariably had pools of water lying on top. My Topaz obviously 
doesn't have that problem. Main problem at the moment is build up of leaves in the "trap"
 between the bottom of the windscreen and the edge of the bonnet.
pulsechoes
pulsechoes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz.
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi Yes. And some of us have water that goes in and over the gearbox! A bad design feature.
I have seen a very wet Symphony inside after being out all winter.
Water staining can knock thousands off a van value.
i think a cover can be a useful addition.
regards
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:37 pm

mikethebike wrote:....................

Water staining can knock thousands off a van value.

Mike,

Can't argue with that but surely it would be better to cure the leak? scratch head 

Also, "Memo to self!  NEVER buy a van from someone who covered it up in case they were just hiding a leak!"  hugegrins hugegrins 

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ian Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Now then Ian....gotcha

Surely prevention is better than cure !Whistle1 

Cheers Ian
ian
ian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi Ian, Of course .But i am not there to see if it leaks.wave  Its not leaking at the moment.
But those of us that go away for lengthy times, who can tell what might happen:hugegrins: 
For instance i always turn the house  water off at the mains. just to be safe and sure.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:22 pm

mikethebike wrote:...................

For instance i always turn the house  water off at the mains. just to be safe and sure.
regards

mike
Mike,

goneoff goneoff  BUT THE INFORMATION IS USEFUL TO PEOPLE LEAVING THEIR HOMES SO .........

I don't want to worry you but (there's always a "BUT" hugegrins ), assuming that you have a water meter, I hope that your phrase "turn the house water off at the mains" means "at the meter" rather than somewhere in the house!

If the pipe between your home and the meter ruptures then YOU are responsible for whatever flows through the meter from the time it ruptures to the time someone turns up and repairs it.  (In these times of privatisation and in view of the fact that you are paying for it I suggest that you don't hold your breath!!)

This is why I go out to the middle of the pavement outside my home and turn the water off at the meter!!

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

PS

1)  I think you'll find that you can't insure against the cost of any water that flowed through the meter!  snigger snigger 

2)  They sell insurance that covers the repair of the pipe between the meter and your home.  However, it is the Water Authority's responsibility to repair this section of pipe so all the insurance actually covers is repairing the drive! wave wave

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi Ian,slightly off topic.Yes i know that from the hundreds of communications from the water board telling me and offering insurance.
I have assessed the risk as very slight, close to impossible.
regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 am

Bringing the thread back onto the original topic........... hugegrins  hugegrins hugegrins 

We use our van regularly, as already discussed, and putting a cover on and off would be quite a chore.

However, at this time of year you do get the build up of *!^#&* and leaves at the bottom of the windscreen.
Also, in the winter, we found we occasionally got a build up of very thick ice, negating use of the wipers.

I have been using a Fiamma Coverglas XL for some years now (slightly modified at top of screen to allow for projection) and this overcomes these problems brilliantly. We also use it as a quick overnight screen cover in the autumn and spring to stop a lot of the condensation.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Not for me but if anyone interested, Riversway have deals on covers at the moment...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ourwanderer Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Spent £75 on a Fiamma one. Fitted it last winter. We had a storm so went to check the van at storage. The top had worn a hole through at the heater vent. The securing holes had ripped through causing flap marks all around the van.
 I have arranged to take the bonnet off to have it re-sprayed.
 Needless to say this was a one off after 12 years of ownership, so it did not go back on this winter.
ourwanderer
ourwanderer

Male

Member Age : 88
Auto-Sleeper : NONE

Back to top Go down