The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello

5 posters

Go down

Hello Empty Hello

Post by keylockb Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Bought a 2006 Symbol. Good vehicle but a few glitches we hope to solve by viewing postings here. Have already fitted wall-mounted electric heater on outside of bathroom to make use of hook-up during cool nights on site. Also had rear door windows professionally tinted to prevent further fading of rear wood effect surfaces. Improves the look of the rear too. Problems remaining are probably very common and possibly insoluble - such as noisy blinds in transit and awkward access to gas locker.
Anyway, looking forward to reading the experiences of other AS owners.
Cheers
keylockb
keylockb

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2006

Back to top Go down

Hello Empty Re: Hello

Post by roli Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:22 pm

Welcome to the forum keylockb.

Regarding the blinds, AS have used a few different makes over the years and it depends which you have but I feel sure someone will offer
help. A few years ago we had rattlyblind syndrome in our last van I put a post on a forum and bingo a variety of solutions appeared
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Welcome from Paul and Carol from North Wales. handshake

We also suffer with the dreaded blind rattle, have tried various ideas that have been suggested but none have worked, seems to be the long internal springs on the roller blinds and someone somewhere suggested taking the blinds out and inserting some sort of sponge tubing around the springs but removing the blinds is I think as step too far. I also agree with the tight gas bottle cupboard, it is fine with 3.9kg bottles but 6kg fit OK but difficult to get hands in to turn the knob. It was much easier when we used butane with clip on regulators but we switched to propane when we extended our season.
Regarding your panel heater, have you put in another 3-pin socket or do you just have a long lead to reach the kitchen socket? How much does it cost to get rear windows tinted, our wood panelling is really bleached?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Hello Empty Re - Hello

Post by keylockb Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Hello Paul and Carol
As you (and roli) have said, it's a common problem, which is actually reassuring. Means it's not just us or our vehicle. We'll keep sticking bits of foam pipe insulation along the edges for the moment, whilst travelling. The panel heater fits very neatly on the outer bathroom wall. I drilled a hole beneath it, keeping a neat vertical cable, fed cable beneath floor to the gap where the nut for spare wheel release is situated. Fed it along to next nut and eventually to rubber door seal. Up inside seal and out to socket adjacent to the sink. Apart from a short cable to the plug pretty much all else is invisible and it looks very neat. Model is a Levante panel heater, model LEVPH500T, 500w with timer and thermostat. Price about £80 from sites such as Amazon. There are cheaper around but I wanted a specific size and this was perfect - does not foul anything, such as fridge door. Windows were tinted by Luxico of Bromsgrove. Any competent company can do this. We chose applied film and both were done for £84 all in. Greatly improves looks (and security by reducing ease of looking in) but still allows excellent rear vision - and,of course, reduces UV fading.
Best wishes
Barry
keylockb
keylockb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks Barry,
I'll look into the tinting when we get back off holiday. Sounds like you've done a neat job on the heater wiring. I've thought about a putting a heater there but I was looking at a convection heater for the only reason that they are cheaper but I don't suppose the panel heaters project from the wall as much, how deep is yours?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Hello Empty Panel heater

Post by keylockb Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi Paul

Projects max of 8cm from the wall when fitted with brackets provided (easy screw fix to panel). Fridge door clears it with room to spare and it provides no intrusive obstacle if entering by rear doors.
Have a great holiday.

Barry
keylockb
keylockb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Hello Barry

asof_welcome2

Hope you enjoy your stay with us!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Warm welcome to you. wave
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Hello Empty Thanks

Post by keylockb Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks everyone - nice friendly site up!
keylockb
keylockb

Male

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum