The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from Norfolk

+5
Paulmold
Dutto
modelman
burlingtonboaby
Norfolk_boy
9 posters

Go down

Greetings from Norfolk Empty Greetings from Norfolk

Post by Norfolk_boy Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:09 am

Greetings,
We have just bought an Amethyst 1997 (P reg) in very good condition. It is the latest in a succession of vehicles and tents etc. which started in the '70s with a 125 Vespa + sidecar (called "egg") that took us round Scotland sleeping in an "umbrella" style tent. Next was a small frame tent, followed by a Conway trailer, then a Compass Echo.  Now, the ultimate "all in one" Amethyst. 

The fun started the minute we bought it.  The filler cap refused to budge.  The 'van had been laid up for a while, so it needed a short trip to a filling station with a friendly mechanic before we set off for the 100mile trip home!

Now I am sorting the fistful of keys and the instruction books.  There is one key I hope someone can help with;  for the fresh water inlet cap.  The key has been identified, it locks solidly as expected in one direction, but the other way the cap just rotates freely, without opening up.  Help.

One other puzzle is: the V5C printed by the DVLA (who should know what they are talking about) have the base vehicle as a Ford Transit 100 SWB.  However in the AS owners' manual, Annex G-1 the description is for a Ford LCY 150. I had assumed that a LONG Wheelbase would have been more appropriate.  I suppose it is of academic interest now, but what do other Amethyst owners have in their paperwork?

Otherwise I agree with a comment earlier about the quality of materials and workmanship.  Coming from a caravan which was built for lightness to the luxury of more solid fittings is, for an engineer, very reassuring.

Now retired, we are looking for leisurely saunters round the byways of Britain. 

Now to go and see what else has been written (and answered) before I put my foot in my mouth, yet again.

Mike from Norfolk.
Norfolk_boy
Norfolk_boy

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Norfolk Empty Re-Greetings from Norfolk

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Mike
Welcome to the forum from a damp overcast morning in Bridlington, plenty of forum members with Trannies who should be able to help you out.
Boaby up!
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Norfolk Empty Re: Greetings from Norfolk

Post by Guest Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Norfolk Boy
Welcome to the Forum from Sunny Somerset wave 

Sounds like your fresh water filler cap has had it and something has probably snapped. Apart from putting WD40 into the lock and twisting it back and forth with the key, I think I would be tempted to unscrew the whole filler unit from the body (3 self tapping screws), break the seal between the van and the filler unit carefully, and remove the whole unit. The water inlet pipe just attaches with a jubilee clip. Then just replace the whole thing with a new one. Its not a bad as it sounds to remove. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello & welcome from S/Yorks drinksallround 

Try & persevere with the filler cap, I too thought mine was duff, & just like yours it was just rotating, but after a lot of 'messing' it just seemed to start working, or I managed to get the sequence right:hugegrins: 

As for the base chassis, I've had several Transits over the years, short, medium & long wheelbase, & I think your monocoque is the longest AS made, so 
I doubt very much its a short wheelbase.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi there,

Welcome from a rather dull and "sticky" Skegness.beachball 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Welcome from a much cooler N.E Wales  handshake
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Norfolk Empty Re Greetings from Norfolk

Post by Norfolk_boy Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Good Morning,
It is nice to get replies from members (it shows that entries are really read) and sensible advice.  I have worked as a service engineer on some strange equipment and know the value of listening, thinking first (rather than re-inventing the wheel), WD40, and the engineers favourite tool (the hammer, of which I have a good selection) and lastly Murphy/Sods Law (and the terror that the recalcitrant feels at the approach of a large heavy toolbox).

Thanks to hoopman and modelman for suggestions,  the situation is not terminal.

The plan at the moment, is to have a good poke about.  Then, we have booked a local mobile repair chap (used before to service the caravan) to check out the habitation side of things. 

If I can fix an item, that's fine. But I prefer not to go more than 10% outside my comfort/skill zone, unless desperate (i.e. a Renault 4 wheel bearing fails on dirt road in Ethiopia 200km from workshop).  

As for the chassis, if the authorities haven't noticed so far, who am I to upset the stats quo? Part of the purchase decision was that if the base unit is tough enough for White Van Man, mine should be good for a few miles/years yet.

Mike

PS the weather has turned cooler, 72F in bedroom this morning, with light drizzle most of yesterday (the coast effect, not due to global warming).
Norfolk_boy
Norfolk_boy

Male

Member Age : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Norfolk_boy

Welcome to the forum

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionmike Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:46 am

Hi Mike,
            my Sister lives in Hockering (5 miles east of Norwich ) we get up there quite often, might see you around sometime!
                                                                                                                                                                                       Mike ( down south)!
Actionmike
Actionmike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO EK 3.0
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Norfolk Empty rugbydocwhitford

Post by Charles Andrews Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 am

You have just purchased a wonderful motor caravan. Enjoy ! and it`s a real feeling of like-minded individuals who are only too helpful with the idiosyncrasies of our beloved vehicles. I`ve just bought my Amethyst and am amazed by the help and info in the Club. Best wishes !
Charles Andrews
Charles Andrews

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi and welcome to a very helpful and friendly forum.
We had trouble with our water tank cap as well.  Think there is a knack to it where you have to hold the cap in a certain position while you turn the key a quarter turn.  We tend to us empty milk bottle containers for our fresh water so every time we come to fill the tank we have forgotten how it works.  shrugg 

We are late discoverers of the beautiful county of Norfolk.  Had our first holiday there three years ago near Holt and love the coast and the countryside.  Back again last year and hope for many more holidays, only wish it was closer to Lancashire.hugegrins
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down