The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member introduction

4 posters

Go down

New member introduction Empty New member introduction

Post by mikemelson Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:14 pm

New member introduction HaregreenJune2010

I have owned a 2004 A/S Symbol for almost 2 years and already have achieved 4 European trips of 2 months each. I have always been an admirer of the little white 'vans with the black panels.
After researching various models it didn't take long to settle on the Symbol, being a retired cabinetmaker I appreciated the quality of the woodwork, the ability to park in a supermarket slot, I like the high level narrow windows for ventilation, the 30-35MPG fuel consumption, the ease of converting the sofa and seat into a comfortable bed, the (almost) full size cooker, decent size kitchen sink with drainer and I liked the layout of the washroom with the fold down sink, cassete toilet and excellent shower. It amazes me how they've crammed so much into such a small space, but they've doing it for 50 years and should have got it right by now.
Things I have added, A Gaslow system, makes it much easier in Europe, Harrison deadlocks for peace of mind if one has to stop in dodgy areas and Leisurepower have managed to fit 2 40watt solar panels on the roof, I have added an extra leisure battery and these combined give me complete independence from electric hook-up and campsites.
A previous owner of this 'van has carried out some innovative alterations for extra storage and worktop space, when I get the hang of posting photos I can share these with other members
mikemelson
mikemelson
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

New member introduction Empty Re: New member introduction

Post by Admin Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Hello Mike

New member introduction Asof_welcome

Hope you enjoy your stay with us smile!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Welcome from Paul and Carol in North Wales. handshake
As owners of the predecessor to yours, a Symphony, I'm always interested in modifications so look forward to hearing more about yours e.g where did you put your additional leisure battery?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Paulmold wrote:Welcome from Paul and Carol in North Wales. handshake
As owners of the predecessor to yours, a Symphony, I'm always interested in modifications so look forward to hearing more about yours e.g where did you put your additional leisure battery?
Hi Paul,
I put the extra 85ah Leisure battery in the compartment holding the water heater & space heater. It's not in a battery box which is not recommended but there is no room for this. The battery I used is totally sealed, in fact the supplier said it can be used upside down. I connected it pole to pole with extra thick cable & fuses to the battery under the seat and of course secured it with thick webbing straps and no problems!
mikemelson
mikemelson
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:29 pm

I wonder if your under settee layout is different to mine as I can't see how you had room to do this. In mine, next to the cooker wall is the space heater and next to that coming forward is the water heater both sealed in their own areas. The space next to the water heater, again coming forward, contains two baskets on slides and that is all there is behind the right-hand cupboard door. The left hand cupboard has two large slide baskets which I have removed and use this area for bedding. I suppose this area could be used for additional battery but then I'd have to find somewhere else for the bedding.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Welcome from Skegness.

Dutto
drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Paulmold wrote:I wonder if your under settee layout is different to mine as I can't see how you had room to do this. In mine, next to the cooker wall is the space heater and next to that coming forward is the water heater both sealed in their own areas. The space next to the water heater, again coming forward, contains two baskets on slides and that is all there is behind the right-hand cupboard door. The left hand cupboard has two large slide baskets which I have removed and use this area for bedding. I suppose this area could be used for additional battery but then I'd have to find somewhere else for the bedding.

Hi Paul,
If I lift up my setee base I have 2 compartments, A big one on the left with a drop down door & a smaller section on the right with a lift out plywood top, it is here where I have put the extra leisure battery, there is enough room to fit it in front of the Truma water heater strapped to the dividing wall.
mikemelson
mikemelson
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Thats were the difference is, you have a Truma (much smaller) and I have a Carver P4 blower/heater which fills the whole far right compartment, very tight fit, I know as I replaced it! I also have Carver water heater in its own box which comes within an inch of the front wall .
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down