The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non Helpful people

+7
Shubberdog
djmvan
DuxDeluxe
Enn
Robbie
peugeotboxer
Tommy-Darcy
11 posters

Go down

Non Helpful people Empty Non Helpful people

Post by Tommy-Darcy Wed May 08, 2013 5:20 pm

This is not really a grump from me, only in something I have noticed whist visiting sites smile!

Yesterday, I gave a "Tugger" a hand in to his chosen pitch with his caravan. The chap and his wife were both getting on a bit, and the pitch was obviously a bit tight to reverse into. As much as she tried, not being a driver herself, the chaps wife was really not getting the message across so being an ex site warden I stepped in. content The chap backed the van up near enough, and I said I would pull it round into position, which I did though admittedly it was a bit of a maul allthumbz

The thing that got me was the numerous other caravanners obviously a lot younger and fitter than the chap who were quite happy to just sit and watch, now that is ok to a point, I have done this myself, but there comes a point when the only decent thing to do is step in and assist........ which is what I did. up!

I also gave him a hand this morning to put his porch awning up in a howling gale, the pair of us could have done with some assistance.. ................but no censored! chance. Obviously more chance of plating fog !!! fight

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Non Helpful people Empty Re: Non Helpful people

Post by peugeotboxer Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 pm

I did my back in giving someone a bump start in their car once.
Since then I flately refuse to help.
I have even said, "sorry,bad back"...............mmmm don't think I was believed

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Wed May 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes it wonderful how the world is getting ,,,,,,,,,, Toss you jack I'm all right or on the other hand getting a kick outa watching someone struggle. I don't mind giving someone a hand, infact I get a wee feel good factor from it.
Like you I seen many people just watching rather than even offer some help fedup

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Thu May 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Will always help out if others are clearly struggling. Last time was in Blue Anchor bay with a howling wind coming straight off the Bristol Channel, gave up putting our own awning up after trying to control it for nearly an hour, then saw a caravanning couple struggling so me, the wife and children all helped get theirs up.
They did offer to help us but we waited until the evening when the wind had died down.
The next morning they came over with chocolates and a bottle of wine for us as a thank you - very nice.

Enn
Enn
Enn
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu May 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Nice people .......... up!

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Non Helpful people Empty Covered in mud pushing someone :-)

Post by djmvan Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:19 pm

I once got covered - and I mean covered - helping push someone out of the mud at Kielder reservoir. I was about 20 at the time and it hasn't put me off lending a hand :-)  My mates - who were also pushing but stayed clean - still remember it 30+ years on and remind me whenever possible!
djmvan
djmvan

Male

Member Age : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:26 am

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. I look a healthy person, you can't see that I have had a disc removed from my spine or that I have had both my wrists fused or that I have arthritis in my shoulders and hands or that I am diabetic or that I have virtually no feeling in my right foot. So please don't think bad of me if I don't rush forward to help someone shift their caravan. I really do want to help but do I risk ruining my holiday or not. At the end of the day they arrived with a caravan not me.
Shubberdog
Shubberdog

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:54 am

Over 20 years ago, we had just arrived at a CC site, when we noticed a couple struggling to put up an awning on their trailer tent, my hubby said you make the tea I will go and help. turns out they had just bought the outfit so were newbies, they had been struggling for wait for it 4 HOURS, it was windy,  behind  us were park several caravans, folks sat in there  front windows with drinks in their hands just watching, so we decided if that is the CC crowd, we will not bother, so we have never renewed our membership, we are in the CC&C now have been for 19 years, they are a completely different crowd, sorry if this upsets someone, we can only speak as we find, we were tenters for many years , as a lot were, so perhaps that is the difference, CC to us seem a snobby lot, not friendly.shrugg all those wouldn`t have been disabled.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:41 am

I found much the same when we were tenters and afterwards trailer tenters, if you were having difficulties, other tenters would come out to help but caravanners tended to be absent for one reason of another.

I'll help someone in difficulties where I can but I wouldn't be of any help backing a caravan into a tight spot as I couldn't do it myself shrugg  and standing around watching someone struggle is just causing them embarrassment.

While we were away this year we noticed more and more hired motorhomes, both large and small. The occupants of these don't seem to know the niceties of "campsite life" and perhaps this could explain why other campers don't come out to help those in difficulties like they used to?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Oh come on!!  Lighten up and be honest!wave wave 

Nothing in this world is better entertainment than watching someone who hasn't got a clue trying to reverse a caravan!!lol4 lol4 

The entertainment value is doubled if they have a partner screaming out instructions such as "Left hand down a bit.  No! No! Right hand! I mean right hand!" with increasing levels of panic as the coupling starts to crunch and grind or the caravan approaches a brick wall.twiddle_thumbs allthumbz 

This comes in only slightly ahead of watching a complete amateur trying to bring a boat on to a mooring with a decent wind blowing across a tidal stream!lol4 lol4 

I do tend to give in eventually, but then I have to get past my better half who insists that I am "interfering"!!tap_fingers 

I just can't win so "Lie back and enjoy the fun." is my motto!allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 am

I am being honest, just hope I am not on the same site as you if I needed any help, it isn`t very nice to laugh at other folks misfortunes, says a lot about the  folk that do, perhaps if you are older or have health issues you may be glad of some help, don`t forget karma, things have a habit of biting back at you, typical of some folks attitude today.  censored! It is rather an arrogant attitude, not a nice trait at all, it is good  to have a sense of humour, that sort isn`t.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am

Now, Now children..................................behave smile! 

I personally prefer the CC club rather than the C&CC. I like to have space between my unit and those next door. I also prefer ball games NOT to be played within 10 feet of my unit, and wardens on site who will challenge this practise explaining to the adults and kids that people don't appreciate having a football hit their unit, or the thud of a ball at 11.30pm............I could go on! I have not renewed my C&CC membership!!!

I am not snobby in any way what so ever, ask Dutto scratch head  Then again maybe best not to lol4 

My original post was aimed at the people, not the site. The site was perfect, and to be honest so has every other CC club we have visited this year, about 39 of which about 10 were Club sites. We found everyone happy, friendly people (apart from unhelpful with reversing caravans). As Ann says "You can suss people out as to how chatty they are at the wash up area", and we have had many long conversations with like minded people. smile! 

The great thing is that we are all different, have different views and opinions. The world would be a very boring place if we were all the same up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:37 am

daisy mae wrote:I am being honest, just hope I am not on the same site as you if I needed any help, it isn`t very nice to laugh at other folks misfortunes, says a lot about the  folk that do, perhaps if you are older or have health issues you may be glad of some help, don`t forget karma, things have a habit of biting back at you, typical of some folks attitude today.  censored! It is rather an arrogant attitude, not a nice trait at all, it is good  to have a sense of humour, that sort isn`t.
I cannot see why I should help someone who cannot be bothered to learn how to properly reverse a caravan or park a motorhome!wave 

Assisting someone who is incompetent only ensures that their level of incompetence is maintained.
up! 

Therefore, if you can't park or reverse your caravan or motorhome properly I too hope that we never have to share the same site.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 am

I was revering to helping put up an awning or tent, not helping ME with reversing MH or  Caravan, which I can do, I have also tugged a large caravan, and hitch it up and  got it into  our drive on returning home.agree3 

I take it you where born with the where be all of reversing MH and putting up awnings etc, and  everything thing else that requires practice through life,  everyone at some point have a first time of doing anything at all, very fortunate if you could  do everything first time without a helping hand, don`t worry I would not be on the same site, if so in an emergency I will know who not to turn to for help.  fedup
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:01 am

Dutto wrote:

Assisting someone who is incompetent only ensures that their level of incompetence is maintained.
up! 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Ian, Thats not true.  You help a lot of people on this site as well.
This is out of character.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:25 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the sentiment, I just love to see "indignation" I guess!hugegrins 

Plus I am reminded of the man who "helped" me by flaking out my loosely coiled 20 metre length of cable up and down the site on the basis that it would overheat and self ignite.  The 15Amp rated cable was being used to charge a battery at the time!

Of course, Santa's Little Helper didn't ask and therefore didn't know; and apparently he didn't care that it took me ten minutes to re-coil the cable and clean off all the grass cuttings and gravel that were stuck to the cable.tap_fingers 

I find that if you help people who ask for your help they are much more appreciative than those that have unwanted help forced upon them!wave 

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down