The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prospective new owner

+8
whisky
modelman
Dutto
roli
DuxDeluxe
CC
deckie
greylag
12 posters

Go down

Prospective new owner Empty Prospective new owner

Post by greylag Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 pm

At the moment we are the owners of a caravan, but fancy a change to a small motorhome. I know of the advantages and disadvantages of both but think a motorhome would give a little more pleasure. Today we looked at two Ravennas in Norfolk and quite liked them. Both around 1999, Peugeot. one at 50000 miles, the other 29000, one petrol 1999cc the other 2.5 diesel. £3000 difference in price. I have always liked Autosleepers as I thought they were quality MH's. Having found this forum I have been a little surprised that AS's seem to suffer as much as any other makes. Water ingress seems a common problem, I thought the one piece roof alleviated this, but it looks like the windows give cause for concern. I seem to be talking myself out of the purchase. We are due to go back on Monday for a test drive.......will we?

greylag
greylag

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Not yet an owner.

Back to top Go down

Prospective new owner Empty Re: Prospective new owner

Post by deckie Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 pm

hi-2010 Greylag,

Welcome to the forum,

Brian & Chris

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Welcome to ASOF gimmefive

Many members here are second, third and fourth time owners of Auto-Sleepers and are very loyal to the marque...... IMO Auto-Sleepers are quality motor homes, check out the competitors as I generally find the furnishings and fittings don't even come close shrugg

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I would agree with that. The quality of my Broadway is just way above the previous MH. Being hand built, there is always the occasional "issue" with some having more than others but generally, despite all the doom and gloom the Auto-Sleeper marque is better than most. And they hold their value better than most..... up!

Enjoy whatever you decide to get and there is loads of good advice on here....
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 pm

If its water ingress you are concerned about then its a monocoque for you, and on the small van scene you could not do better than a Clubman, Clubman Anniversary or a Gatcombe. If you want to go a foot longer then
the Executive and Talisman vans give you more space.
They are in the select few that dealers dont damp test due to the costruction
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 am

greylag wrote:............... Both around 1999 ............

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. wave

Back in 1999 I was in much better nick than I am now and I think the MH's will probably be the same! up!

On the other hand, I may be slower than a newer model but I am a lot more reliable! allthumbz

My only advice is to go and have a test drive and then decide; bearing in mind the old saying "Many a good tune is played on an old fiddle." Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by greylag Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 am

Many thanks for the swift replies, I didn't realise that they were hand built. I have had my eye on an Autosleeper VW Clubman Anniversary but I can't get my wife interested, she prefers the rear lounge layout. So is the construction of a monocouqe different from the Ravenna type of body?

I think we should have the test drive and see what they will offer for my caravan. I have always been reluctant to get rid of a car that is going well and I think it is the same for the caravan. Hopefully the test drive will remove any doubts.
greylag
greylag

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by greylag Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 am

My wife has just come up with a question, are earlier Autosleepers better build quality?
greylag
greylag

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:10 am

Hello & welcome from S/Yorks drinksallround

My van is a '98 Talisman 2.5D with 38000 on the clock, perfect underside, outside & inside, NO damp anywhere, so they ARE out there somewhere smile!

OK, so its a non-turbo & a bit sluggish, but I have cruised at 70, but 60 is much better.

Enjoy whatever you go for.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Greylag.

Welcome to the forum from Nottinghamshire.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Prospective new owner Empty Re Prospective new owner Greylag

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Greylag
Welcome to the forum from a very foggy Bridlington, I have been inside Modelsmans motorhome and its "outstanding"for its age.
The outside is as good as new, If my 09 Nuevo looks as good as Modelmans in 10 years time, then I will be a happy bunny up!

Merry Christmas wave Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:22 am

greylag wrote: So is the construction of a monocouqe different from the Ravenna type of body?

Welcome to the forum from North Wales handshake and the answer to the question is yes. The Ravenna is similarly constructed to a caravan in respect that although the roof may be one-piece, it has seperate sides and therefore joints and seals between the top and sides whereas a monocoque is a moulded one-piece entire shell so no joints except the joining to the vehicle cab, so nowhere for water to penetrate except around windows and rooflights. If you want a rear lounge monocoque then look for a Legend or Amethyst although these are longer than Clubman/Gatcombe.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:20 am

Hi there,

I know nothing of "then and now" build quality but "Petal" is a 1998 Duetto in mint condition inside and out with 80,000 miles on the clock!

Since we bought her for £15,000 in June 2011 we have lived in her for over nine months and driven her for 18,000 miles. In this time she has had a new cam-belt, a new clutch, new wheel arches and a bit of work from AS (my +115kgs did some damage to one of the beds!) that cost +/-£3,000 (this includes £300 spent on a "dodgy" clutch that we had fitted and then changed; a long story).

With regard to what your wife does or does not like may I suggest that you talk to each other (it does happen in some marriages) and work out what you both want to do, where you intend to spend your time in and out of the motorhome and what is a MUST HAVE versus a NICE TO HAVE.

Then make out the list. It may seem a stupid idea but it does work. For us, in order of priority. the list went something like:

MUST HAVE:
o Vehicle fits on the drive. (A requirement of where we live.)
o Bed either "walk-around" or able to be split into two singles. (This is because we both need to be up in the night!)
o Separate toilet.
o Room for a TV and satellite dish.
o Comfortable driving position. (Because we intended to drive long distances.)

NICE TO HAVE:
o Oven.
o Awning.

Note: After renting an American motorhome for two months we came back to the UK full of bright ideas (it was an automatic drive with a fitted microwave, four-burner hob, a flushing toilet, a heated and pressure adjustable air-bed, a swing out TV and a built in LPG supply for starters!) but soon discovered that they are either just not available in the UK or definitely not available on our £15,000 budget! It also only did 10mpg!

Best of luck in your search for the perfect AS. It is out there somewhere. allthumbz
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 am

Hi greylag

Welcome to the forum

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by greylag Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:34 am

What a great site....just found a thread called 'Why an Autosleeper'? Decided not to rush a purchase and keep looking for a monocoque bodied vehicle that just says 'buy me'!

Dutto, we do talk and between us have decided to hang on. 36 years ago today, we started talking and we are still talking...just!

The search continues.
greylag
greylag

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Greylag welcome to the Forum from a very wet Somerset wave

As you can see you can get a lot of information from this forum based on owner’s experiences.

We like a number on this Forum have stayed loyal to the A/S brand over many years of motorhoming for a number of reasons:- quality, reliability and in particular the service and support available from the A/S service centre. IMO the older vans were probably put together better, using more traditional materials, but compared to a number of manufacturers the newer A/S vans are still out there in a class of their own.

When purchasing a van it’s a good idea to take your time and if possible hire one(s) to try to find out which layout / model is best. This obviously more difficult if the van you are interested in is no longer in production as most hire companies move their vans on after 3 years.
Good luck and enjoy your search.
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:56 am

greylag wrote:.......

Dutto, we do talk ...........

So do we but sometimes I consider my increasing deafness a blessing rather than a curse! hugegrins hugegrins

Enjoy the search and keep us posted! wave

Best regards,

Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:15 pm

don''t forget when having a test drive, whichever vehicle and layout you like, test drive the bed as well
"H"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down