The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction

+8
Paulmold
plattypus
squip
stevomar
CC
john simm
Admin
ian
12 posters

Go down

Introduction Empty Introduction

Post by ian Thu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm in Lincolnshire and have recently purchased a peugeot autosleeper executive 1996. Having spent many holidays caravanning at home and abroad we decided that now we're retired we would feel 'safer' in a motorhome especially when touring in France. Also when on the continent the facilities are more available and suited to motorhomes. Whereas the laws on parking up a caravan can be difficult depending on which country you are in.
It is odd getting used to the difference with a motorhome.....the boot of the car was so handy for carrying tools and things that you'd rather hide away...still I am excited and looking forward to adventures new.
Since purchase I have fitted a 100w solar panel to the roof. I'm quite proud of my design for fixing it to the roof rails if anyone is interested I'd be happy to advise. In total cost me about £230 buying the bits and pieces off ebay....but prices do vary quite a bit.

If anyone can help me I'd like to know what shock absorbers are on the rear of the autosleeper. Although It came with 12months MOT the shock absorbers look very rusty and have holes in the outer casing. I have telephoned autosleeper but they said to get in touch with puegeot. They quoted me £220 for their own make. I thought that a bit steep and wondered if anyone had tried a different make/manufacturer?
I'll have to try and sort out how to post a photo of my autosleeper

Best wishes everyone
ian
ian

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty Re: Introduction

Post by Admin Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Hello Ian

group_welcome To our forum

I'm sure one or two of our members will be able to give you some advice regarding your shock absorbers smile!

Incase you haven't noticed already, there is a basic tutorial in the welcome section that guides you through posting photos on the forum and may help

here is a link: https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t160-how-to-add-photos-to-your-posts

Hope you enjoy your time with us smile!

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by john simm Thu May 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Welcom ian wave

It appears that we have one or two members on the forum from the Lincs area now smile!

John & Jean
john simm
john simm

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu May 19, 2011 5:26 pm

ian wrote:If anyone can help me I'd like to know what shock absorbers are on the rear of the autosleeper. Although It came with 12months MOT the shock absorbers look very rusty and have holes in the outer casing. I have telephoned autosleeper but they said to get in touch with puegeot. They quoted me £220 for their own make. I thought that a bit steep and wondered if anyone had tried a different make/manufacturer?

Hi Ian

group_welcome

The £220 quoted was this just to supply or fit as well? If it is just to supply then you can get cheaper, a pair of Bilstein rear shocks would cost you around £100 including delivery, but if I were you I'd try eurocarparts they have depots all over the country or you can buy online here: http://www.eurocarparts.com/

However, If that price was including fitting then getting Peugeot to do it would be your best bet, tend to think that genuine manufacturer parts are usually better quality generally but that might just be my own personal view, sorry I cant help more.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi Ian and welcome from a fellow Lincolnshire Yellowbelly !

Whereabouts are you in Lincs. We're in Burton upon Stather just north of Scunthorpe where I work. We have to travel all over the county though as we have daughters in Louth and Lincoln.
Hope you enjoy it on here smile!
Cheers
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Thu May 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Ian.
A solar panel is, in my view, one of the best extras to have on a van. I would love to have a one on the roof of my van but unfortunately there is not enough roof space.
hellowave

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Ian I'm sure you'll find most answers on here allthumbz

plattypus
plattypus
plattypus
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu May 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Ian from Paul and Carol in North Wales handshake
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu May 19, 2011 8:09 pm

ian wrote:Hi Everyone,
I'm in Lincolnshire and have recently purchased a peugeot autosleeper executive 1996. Having spent many holidays caravanning at home and abroad we decided that now we're retired we would feel 'safer' in a motorhome especially when touring in France. Also when on the continent the facilities are more available and suited to motorhomes. Whereas the laws on parking up a caravan can be difficult depending on which country you are in.
It is odd getting used to the difference with a motorhome.....the boot of the car was so handy for carrying tools and things that you'd rather hide away...still I am excited and looking forward to adventures new.
Since purchase I have fitted a 100w solar panel to the roof. I'm quite proud of my design for fixing it to the roof rails if anyone is interested I'd be happy to advise. In total cost me about £230 buying the bits and pieces off ebay....but prices do vary quite a bit.

If anyone can help me I'd like to know what shock absorbers are on the rear of the autosleeper. Although It came with 12months MOT the shock absorbers look very rusty and have holes in the outer casing. I have telephoned autosleeper but they said to get in touch with puegeot. They quoted me £220 for their own make. I thought that a bit steep and wondered if anyone had tried a different make/manufacturer?
I'll have to try and sort out how to post a photo of my autosleeper

Best wishes everyone

Welcome smile!

Whether it be Peugeot/VW/Fiat or whatever, you'll find car makers don't make parts like steering, suspension and electrical components - the just assemble the vehicle from components sourced from component manufacturers.

The "Peugeot" suspension dampers will be made by Bilstein or similar so you're far better to buy branded name components from a Motor Factor for a fraction of the price.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty Hello

Post by VRH Thu May 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Hello Ian

Welcome to the forum.

VRH
VRH
VRH

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 am

Welcome to ASOF, My brother in law has a 1996 Exec with 170k+ on the clock, it goes into Europe & further each year and still looks like the day it left Willersey.
Our last van was an Executive (2000) and gave us 8 years of good holidays and rallies averaging 85 nights/year so I have a soft spot for them.
We had an 85w Solar Panel on ours again that served us well
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty wecome

Post by whisky Fri May 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Ian.

Welcome to the forum. I am a relatively new member myself. I also own an Executive and have fitted a 100w. solar panel to my roof rack. I just love trying out little improvements if I can, so will enjoy swapping info with you. Have you found all the usual draught holes in the cab area? might be able to help you there.

All the best. Whisky.

PS will be in lincolnshire next weekend going to Carrington Steam Rally.
whisky
whisky

Male

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty Thanks to everyone

Post by ian Sat May 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks to everyone for such swift replies. I've been busy(Anne...the manager) had her birthday yesterday and we went to Stamford for the day...wonderful day out...particularly as Friday is market day. If you like good english food in a lovely historical environment and with a river...and also an old fashioned but huge ironmongers, Stamford is well worth a visit.

In Lincs we live not far from Spilsby, a small market town, about 25 miles from lincoln one way and 20 miles from skegness the other.

I also am interested in vintage cars and have a 1952 singer roadster that I've just completed a total restoration on. So we'll be off rallying this summer...great joy.

ian
ian

Male

Member Age : 74

Back to top Go down