The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water filling

+3
Caraman
rogerblack
Glenny54
7 posters

Go down

Water filling Empty Water filling

Post by Glenny54 Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:58 pm

When I fill the fresh water tank I sometimes have to hold the hose in while my OH turns the tap on and off,I've seen some caps you can get to fit on and snap hose onto that,has anyone got one and type please,,,,,,,,assuming I'm explaining  myself properly.
Glenny54
Glenny54

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium fb
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Water filling Empty Re: Water filling

Post by rogerblack Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:53 pm

Yes, I have one like this and it works very well:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:17 pm

Glenny54 wrote:When I fill the fresh water tank I sometimes have to hold the hose in while my OH turns the tap on and off,I've seen some caps you can get to fit on and snap hose onto that,has anyone got one and type please,,,,,,,,assuming I'm explaining  myself properly.
Is there a reason why you don't fill the tank through the Whale inlet socket which overcomes the problem you have described?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:20 pm

rogerblack wrote:Yes, I have one like this and it works very well:

When the tank is full does the mains water back up the filler pipe and escape through the cap or does it just come out of the tank's breather?
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenny54 Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:27 pm

Caraman wrote:
When the tank is full does the mains water back up the filler pipe and escape through the cap or does it just come out of the tank's breather?
We know it's full when it comes out of the breather.
Glenny54
Glenny54

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenny54 Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:29 pm

Caraman wrote:
Is there a reason why you don't fill the tank through the Whale inlet socket which overcomes the problem you have described?
We use the whale socket on pitches with water tap.
Glenny54
Glenny54

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:00 pm

I've had one of those blue hose connectors, ever since Paulmold drew attention to them. Excellent, and well worth the money. I can nip into the van whilst the hose is filling the tank, to check the water level gauge. 

When the tank is near full, the sound changes and so it's time to stop. Rarely, if ever, does it overflow.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:40 am

I just use one of the standard twist nozzles that come as standard with hoses and cost a couple of pounds to buy. Can be wedged safely in the filler hole so hose doesn't need held in place. Cheap simple and works for me

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:45 am

Glenny54 wrote:
We use the whale socket on pitches with water tap.
If you use it on a pitch with a tap why don't you use it on a service point with a tap?  You don't have to hold the pipe or even watch it whilst its filling.  It is obvious when the tank is full as the flow stops so you turn the tap off and disconnect - job done.  As I see it the gravity filler hole is a back-up for the Whale inlet socket should the Autofill system fail and to allow the tank to be filled with a hand held container like a watering can.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:49 am

Here is my creation, uses the same ‘wedge it in’ method as BB above.

It’s the light that makes it look like it is filthy by the way!

Last edited by Dbvwt on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:15 am

Cymro wrote:I've had one of those blue hose connectors, ever since Paulmold drew attention to them. Excellent, and well worth the money. I can nip into the van whilst the hose is filling the tank, to check the water level gauge. 

When the tank is near full, the sound changes and so it's time to stop. Rarely, if ever, does it overflow.

Cymro
Thanks Cymro.  Hitherto I have only used the Whale inlet socket to fill the freshwater tank with a hose.  However, I have removed the solenoid valve beneath my Whale inlet socket so my mains water flow is no longer cut off when the tank is full, so the tank overflows through its breather until I turn the tap off.  I have never regarded this as a problem but it has been reported on this Forum that if the mains water pressure/flow is too great, not enough water can get out of the breather causing the water in the tank to over-pressurise until one of its level sensors pops out.  The blue filler cap attached to the gravity filler pipe could cause the same problem but it appears to be self-venting which may allow water to escape out of it when the tank is full, as well as water escaping from the breather.  So I was just wondering whether in my case this would be a better way of filling the tank with a hose than using the Whale inlet socket having removed the solenoid cut-off valve.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:24 am

An interesting conundrum, Caraman. 

My Whale kit is in its unopened plastic bag, hanging up in the garage! I continue to use the system which I've used for decades, via what you describe as a gravity filler hole - a process enhanced since buying the blue filler-neck-to-hosepipe connector (so that I don't have to stand alongside holding the hose to ensure it doesn't jump out). 

But I don't recall allowing the tank to overfill, so that I cannot recall the efficacy of the blue adapter's self-venting arrangement (although I'm sure it will be OK, albeit causing wet shoes). I simply check inside the van at the gauge, and when it's showing 75% I go back to the tap and listen for the note (pitch) from the filler neck to change and gurgle, which tells me to turn off the tap.

All that said, these days it's rarely the case that I fill the tank to its brim. We don't wild camp, so I've no need for an absolutely full tank. Even when staying at a site for more than 3 or 4 days, it's no great hardship to refill, whether by driving to a tap, or resorting to the watering can and jerry can. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:11 pm

i use the blue cap, had it for around twenty years cost about £10.00 one of the best things that I have bought, the whale filler is still in the bag and in the shed.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Cymro, Monty-Plym and Peter Brown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:04 pm

I think I'm going to get one in part to allay concerns about the mains water pressure popping a sensor but also because my Whale hose and connector has already sprung leaks and its securing lug has snapped off.  I have a longer hose on a cassette which is easier to handle and has had little use which I will connect to the blue filler cap.  The Whale inlet socket will then only be used with my Whale pump and water barrel for which I have optimised it by removing the solenoid valve.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down