The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo - versions/opinions - vs Eton & Devon?

+3
Paulmold
Tinwheeler
Benzene69
7 posters

Go down

Nuevo -  versions/opinions - vs Eton & Devon? Empty Nuevo - versions/opinions - vs Eton & Devon?

Post by Benzene69 Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

Looked recently at a Nuevo II on a 2011 chassis. Really liked the van layout etc but this particular example was quite corroded underneath.

Also looked at a Devon - seems to be same conversion but on Merc Sprinter which we also really liked but had a damp stain above the fridge 

We really like the layouts on these so are looking to buy one but I've noticed several different looking versions of the Nuevo and the Devon looks to have changed to a Stanton ?

Essentially I need the extra length available to the single beds by using the front seats so these conversions work well for me due to my height.

My questions are thus... What's the difference between the different Nuevo versions (we are only Interested in the 2008 on X250 chassis or the Merc).

I have seen some early Nuevos which looks narrower and like the earlier shape body but on the later cab. Then a wider looking version, then some labelled as Nuevo II, and lastly some newer silver sided ones which looks to be a different construction technique ,( many joins in roof vs one piece roof in earlier versions - more prone to leaks with these extra joins ,?)

What's the difference between the different Nuevo versions?

And how foes the Merc conversion differ from the Peugeot other than the chassis?

If I'm looking to buy one are there any particular things to look for ,?

Any areas where they are prone to leak/get damp ?

I've just also seen an Eton which looked similar but on a Ford..

Ate there any  other Conversions to consider ? I want the compact length but must have long beds due to my height.

Thanks in advance

Benzene
Benzene69
Benzene69

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Possibly Legend
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Nuevo -  versions/opinions - vs Eton & Devon? Empty Re: Nuevo - versions/opinions - vs Eton & Devon?

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:12 pm

The Devon was the Marquis County version of the Stanton. Both were built on Sprinters and many were/are autos. In both it’s necessary to turn and utilise the cab seats to gain full length single beds. Some people find this a pain. The Bourton which is also Sprinter based is a slightly longer version giving full length single beds without using the cab seats.

The Merc Sprinter is, in my opinion, far superior to the Peugeot Boxer in every way but I know others may not agree. There is a thread on here comparing the two base vehicles which you should be able to find using the search facility.

Sorry but I’ve no experience of Nuevos.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Nuevo -  versions/opinions - vs Eton & Devon? Empty Re: Nuevo - versions/opinions - vs Eton & Devon?

Post by Paulmold Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:25 pm

The first Nuevos on the x244 ended 2006/7, then the x250 came along with the same body, this became the Nuevo Classic, then the wider body came along named Nuevo II. They continued along each other for a couple of years when the Classic was dropped and the Nuevo II continued alone until the silver sided one's came along.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:16 am

I can't answer the historical questions but in general the coachbuilt parts of an Auto-Sleeper are the same whether they are on the M-B or Peugeot/Fiat chassis.  The Stanton/Devon/Nuevo have long rear overhangs and a short wheelbase which makes them rear heavy.  The M-B copes with this better because it can have a higher rear axle limit and is rear wheel drive giving better traction.  A consequence of rear wheel drive is that the prop shaft gets in the way of the fresh water tank which has to be smaller.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:58 pm

Note! 
Single beds were an option with the Ford based Eton
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:35 am

Tinwheeler wrote:.......

The Merc Sprinter is, in my opinion, far superior to the Peugeot Boxer in every way but I know others may not agree. There is a thread on here comparing the two base vehicles which you should be able to find using the search facility.

Sorry but I’ve no experience of Nuevos.
Agreed, the Merc Sprinter is easily the best to drive - soooo comfortable. I've had them all - except the Fiat Comfortmatic which is to be avoided at all costs. The Merc is likely to be an automatic with an in line engine, then the gearbox, then the prop shaft and rear wheel drive which makes it easy to work on, either for you or the garage. The professionals say RWD is better for driving on grass camp sites, I think there is less slippage. We have a Bourton, which is for sale but not yet advertised, and it has the less usual layout with one long bed sofa on the nearside, and two facing two seater sofas on the offside with a table in between. This makes into a huge single bed or you can pull all the bed sofas together to make a football pitch sized quad bed. That is of course an exaggeration but it's huge. We like the layout very much because leaving the nearside bed sofa where it is and the two sofas on the offside leaves the big space for walking to and fro inside, something that annoyed us when we had a panel van. We shove all the bedding in the pod above the cab, so there's no lifting to get at the bedding each night. In any case the nearside bed sofa is left with its duvet on in the day.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by jrow55 Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am

We loved our 58 reg Devon on Sprinter automatic. It was very comfortable, nice to drive, and the best layout for us. The short wheelbase is great for manoeuvring. It did tend to roll quite a bit on corners, so we had air suspension fitted which improved it. The body is quite a bit wider than the rear axle, which perhaps is the reason for the rolling. Our current 20 reg Broadway on Ducato automatic is more stable, with wider rear axle; it’s also great having a bit of extra length with long settees each side so very easy to make up 2 single beds without needing to turn front seats. Van is still only 6.3m long. Ideal for us. The 9-speed automatic is excellent, and the 140 engine pulls very well.
jrow55
jrow55

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2020

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down