The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Executive 97 2.5d

4 posters

Go down

Peugeot Executive 97 2.5d Empty Peugeot Executive 97 2.5d

Post by Neil & Jo Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:26 pm

Hi , anyone using the refillable propane bottles in their motorhome? If so, is it a more cost effective option ? Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Every day is a learning day
Neil & Jo
Neil & Jo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Executive 97 2.5d Empty Re: Peugeot Executive 97 2.5d

Post by gassygassy Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:28 pm

The refillable bottles cost about £8 to fill (depends on the capacity, the gas costs about 80p/ l) in Europland. The same bottle of Calor gas here is about £40.
You have to decide how often you would refill it and thus how long it takes to get the original cost back. You can of course buy the bottles used, for half the new price. In France it is so plentiful that you can drive round town looking not merely for a filling station, but looking for the cheapest filling station.
Once you have bought a bottle you can of course keep it and transfer it to a new camper. And of course in Europland you won't find Calor gas anywhere.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Neil & Jo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm

Except, to my surprise, all of Ireland!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil & Jo Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 pm

It's just that I've seen a couple of 2nd hand ones  advertised. Roughly about £180 with all the attachments and an external filler connector ( 1 bottle ). Looked pretty new.
Neil & Jo
Neil & Jo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Phew that's expensive. I thought the whole kit new was about that. Keep looking. You can buy the bottle used, but you will need to get new hoses and the filler nozzle. It's easy to fit, you are allowed to DIY, you don't need a GSR chappie.
As well as GasLow there is GasIt, they are the same thing, same sizes, same filling system and so on. IF you get one with a gauge on the top, they aren't very accurate, and really not worth bothering with. When your hob flame gets low, it's time to look for a filling station.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Executive 97 2.5d Empty GasLow

Post by RogerPratt Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:03 am

I installed a pair of GasLow bottles in my 2004 Clubman about 15 years ago. That was overkill, one bottle would have done, and would be less weight too. Very easy to refill at an LPG pump. We use so little gas that cost is irrelevant, just a few £s worth a year. Mainly use campsites for 6 weeks or so for each trip to Europe, so site 240v hook up does most things, and this is of course included in the pitch charge. Its the ease of filling that does it for us.
RogerPratt
RogerPratt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil & Jo Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:38 am

RogerPratt wrote:I installed a pair of GasLow bottles in my 2004 Clubman about 15 years ago. That was overkill, one bottle would have done, and would be less weight too. Very easy to refill at an LPG pump. We use so little gas that cost is irrelevant, just a few £s worth a year. Mainly use campsites for 6 weeks or so for each trip to Europe, so site 240v hook up does most things, and this is of course included in the pitch charge. Its the ease of filling that does it for us.
Thanks for the info Roger, we've noticed now that those days of paying £20-25 for a hook up pitch over here are nearly gone. Everyone wants to charge you per person , per night,  per this,  per that and then wants you to take a meter reading and pay for your electricity that you've used . Good old rip off Britain. I could do with picking your brains about Europe campsites. We've yet to do it and are very tempted .
Neil & Jo
Neil & Jo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:47 am

My exec is rarely used in UK, and then only pubstops.
It much prefers Europe!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil & Jo Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:14 pm

IanH wrote:My exec is rarely used in UK, and then only pubstops.
It much prefers Europe!!!
Where would you recommend Ian ?, I've driven in France and Spain some years ago . It just takes a little getting used to driving on the wrong side 🤣.
Neil & Jo
Neil & Jo

Male

Back to top Go down