The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar Panel

4 posters

Go down

Solar Panel Empty Solar Panel

Post by Nascar19 Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi all, Can't seem to find Solar Panel control box on my Corinium duo 2019. Can anyone help please
Nascar19
Nascar19

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Solar Panel Empty Re: Solar Panel

Post by v8oholic Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:32 pm

If you mean the controller, and you have an EC700 in a cupboard, it may be behind that. I'm not familiar with your van layout specifically, but that's a common location for the standard controller.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:20 pm

Nascar19 wrote:Hi all, Can't seem to find Solar Panel control box on my Corinium duo 2019. Can anyone help please

In a 2019 van you probably have a Sargent EC700 system but it is possible it could be an EC500. Which system do you have and what do you want to do?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar19 Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:46 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been reading other posts which indicate Solar Panel is not up to the job. Don't know whether it's 80 or 100w but can it be added to or should I upgrade. Only had a problem because we were away for 5 weeks(not in motorhome)and batteries went flat. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Nascar19
Nascar19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:09 pm

My current panel is 130w, it's predecessors were all 100w.

NONE were connected via Sargent, but instead through a dual battery solar controller directly to each battery, via a 10A inline fuse.

Never have had any battery issues at all, indeed we rarely use sites and if we do and EHU is charged extra, we simply don't bother.

So, I very much doubt that your panel size is your problem, I'd be looking at by passing the Sargent controller and connecting direct....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar19 Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:20 pm

Thanks for that. Will give that serious thought.
Nascar19
Nascar19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:23 pm

Simple question I thought, EC 500 or EC 700? They work differently and size of panel is irrelevant.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar19 Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:56 pm

Yes its EC700, but several weeks away and both batteries were flat put it on power supply, which charged it all back up but 2 or 3 weeks it was later had to charge on power supply again. Solar panels are putting power but not maintaining.
Nascar19
Nascar19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:01 pm

Thanks. Full reply tomorrow.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Nascar19 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:59 pm

If solar is generating and the batteries are not maintaining charge, then only two likely scenarios...
The batteries are powering a parasitic load 
The batteries are on their way out.

The solar charge has to be going somewhere.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:21 pm

Neither the starter battery or leisure battery will retain charge for more than a couple of weeks in your Coronium unless you charge them using either the engine 230v charger or solar.  If you leave the EC700 switched on (main power supply unit not control panel) and the solar smart charging enabled at this time of year then the energy consumed by the EC700 will exceed that harvested by the solar panel and both batteries will fully discharge.

If you operate the shutdown button on the EC700 then the permanent feeds to Fridge and heater control panels will be disconnected and drain from the leisure battery minimised.  All energy harvested by the solar panel will be directed to the starter battery and that will maintain its charge.

If its possible to hook to EHU when not using the van, do so and leave the EC700 powered, the smart charging from the mains battery charger will maintain both batteries.

If you can't use EHU, do as Ian suggests and install a dual channel solar controller between the existing solar panel and both batteries, by passing the single channel solar controller installed by Sargent.  This will keep both batteries charge but the current measurements on the Sargent control panel will be incorrect, however that is not a major issue and the best indication of battery condition is by voltage.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nascar19 Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:31 pm

Thank you Peter, you have answered all my thoughts so will just carry on as normal but next winter will do things differently. Only had since June last year so winter has been a new experience. The 745 Bailey we had previous coped with no problems through winter so as I said, new experience with our Autosleeper. Thank you very much for your help. Thanks to everyone who replied to my problem.
Nascar19
Nascar19

Male

Back to top Go down