The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo 2005 Reverse Camera

+2
mikethebike
IanP
6 posters

Go down

Nuevo 2005 Reverse Camera Empty Nuevo 2005 Reverse Camera

Post by IanP Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:57 pm

Good evening all.  We've had our 2005 Nuevo EK (our first motorhome) for just over a week and I'm steadily working my way round fixing manor issues.  One of my priorities is to fit a reversing camera and the twin-lens Revcam with a mirror monitor is top of the list having seen one in operation on another van.  Having done a bit of research my plan is to run the cable under the chassis alongside the lighting loom and up through the hole in the engine bulkhead near the battery. What I haven't yet fathomed is how to get the camera wires discretely from the top near the high-level brake light down to floor level.  I don't want to be cutting holes in the back of the cupboards but it looks as though the whole cupboard section above the cooker might be removable for access with just a few screws to come out.  

Does anyone have any advice or experience of removing these cupboards and, if so, whether this will provide access to the outer fiberglass shell and brake light wiring?    

Incidentally, one of the problems I've already fixed is to replace the rubber Diesel filler cap lanyard which had perished.  I 3D-printed a new one in flexible TPU which does the job nicely.  If anyone needs one for their early Boxer I would be happy to oblige, along with fitting instructions, for the price of a stamp. 

Many thanks
Ian
IanP
IanP

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Nuevo 2005 Reverse Camera Empty Re: Nuevo 2005 Reverse Camera

Post by mikethebike Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 pm

asof_welcome2

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Fixer Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:29 am

I would remove the high level brake light and try to trace its cable route as it must go to the chassis to connect to the base vehicle wiring. Almost certainly it would have to be in some kind of sandwich space between the inner and outer walls
Fixer
Fixer

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by RalphHughes Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:43 am

Have you thought about the Garmin sat nav with wireless reversing camera
It can be operated by the touch screen or by voice

RalphHughes

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by IanP Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:37 pm

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions.   I've been waiting for a break in the weather to take a closer look.  The brake light has no external screws and I didn't want to risk trying to prise off the cover in sub-zero temperatures!  It's still stuck like a limpet so I'm now considering other options.  The Garmin camera is a possibility as I already have a Garmin Sat Nav but I would prefer a dual camera and permanent rear view through a mirror screen with the ability to manually switch to a close-up for reversing.  My current thought is to fit the camera just above the rear window and route the cable straight through the back wall where it would be hidden behind the pelmet.  The plugs would then be accessible for maintenance if necessary.  The cable could run along under the pelmet to the corner and then brought down through the worktop and the under-sink cupboard, hidden in wood-grain trunking.  I'll take a closer look at the weekend - but still open to practical suggestions!
IanP
IanP

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Doonhamer5 Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:36 am

We had issues with our standard Malvern 2014 camera which kept being fuzzy and failing for no reason. Last year we bought a Garmin camera and we were astounded at the quality!!! I wish we had bought it years ago. It’s so easy, being wireless, and we can easily detach it to protect the camera. My husband fitted it above the number plate which makes it easier to judge angles & measurements for reversing.  It shows guidance lines where you can calibrate it.
Any time you need a view behind, you can click on the camera icon or ask for it (voice command).
Doonhamer5
Doonhamer5
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:24 pm

Marquis fitted an inadequate reversing camera to my 2012 Nuevo and fitted it betweenthe high level brake light and the window. They routed the cable to the bottom of the rear wall locker and along to the corner cut off by the sink.  Down that into the lowere cupboard and then under the van and to the front bringing it back into the van by the passenger door, then under the floor in the loom channel and up to below the top cubby hole on the passenger side for all the connections. The morror monitor cable then goes up the windscreen pillar and across to by the mirror.  I replaced the Marquis camera with a twin camera and new monitor freom Reversing cameras at Ramsgate and used the same route for cables.  The new camera is absolutely wonderful giving excellent general view behind and superb close up view when reversing.
Forget the idea of removing the high level brake light.  It's stuck in its recess with Sikaflex as I found out whan I had to replace it and the wires are very short and embedded in the rock hard sealant.  It was bad enough joining the new cables to the cut of old ones - no hope of threading others through.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by IanP Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:59 pm

Thank you Ron: most helpful and encouraging that you've had good results from that setup.
IanP
IanP

Male

Back to top Go down