The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lack of support for a new a owner from A/S

+12
Inky
Skizzydo
gassygassy
Ready to go
Askit
babian
Fixer
orac
Paulmold
Peter Brown
Tinwheeler
Alastair0811
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lack of support for a new a owner from A/S - Page 2 Empty Re: Lack of support for a new a owner from A/S

Post by Skizzydo Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:08 am

I can sympathise  about the problems about the Bourton. We bought ours back in June 2019, based on a MB sprinter van. So far I’ve had5 recalls from Mercedes including the replacement of the rear wheel brake mechanism..
The build quality  of the auto sleepers was poor in places., including some very bad positioning of certain items or inadequate  fasteners used.
I’ve had to modify the heating ducting to get heat down to the forward part of the van  (under the off side seat).
The major problem was that the electronics of the Mercedes  
( being keyless )  won’t work  ( in our case) with the electronics  of the auto sleepers .
In the end a lot disconnecting of the various systems including the Habitation door from the the key fob for the vehicle to make it viable.
It took the dealership 3 years to fit the promised blinds to the cab which were promised they would be available within the next year.
It was also unfortunate that the vehicle was returned to the dealership to sort out the various timings of the Harmony system  and also returned to Mercedes  for updates to their electronic systems. It was due to be picked up one Friday  when we went into the first lock down on the Thursday  and was locked in the dealers workshop for months . I don’t think the batteries ever recovered  and were eventually replaced.
The harmony system can’t be trusted for accurate readings, even if I have reset it several times.
A major problem which I told the dealership on pick up that I refused delivery as the bike rack which we had fitted covered the number plate and some of the lights.
A light board was provided and also a lighter feeder plug had to be wired in. I noticed a lot of the later vans have the same rear panel design and will suffer the same problem if a bike rack is fitted.
Apart from that we enjoy  the Bourton , known by the dealership and others as THE HAUNTED SNAIL  due to its habit of unlocking all the doors at any given time. Hence the deactification of the Habitation door.
It does roll like a pig on occasions but we are considering stiffening the suspension, and sorting out the water pump for the water supply, 
We managed 79 days away last year  so it ain’t all bad although we spent 70k plus  in 2019 the quality control at AS is non existent, I think they leave it to the dealership to do that ……..!
Skizzydo
Skizzydo

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Alastair0811 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Lack of support for a new a owner from A/S - Page 2 Empty Re: Lack of support for a new a owner from A/S

Post by gassygassy Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:44 am

Skizzydo wrote:I can sympathise  about the problems about the Bourton. We bought ours back in June 2019, based on a MB sprinter van. So far I’ve had5 recalls from Mercedes including the replacement of the rear wheel brake mechanism.......
......... and sorting out the water pump for the water supply, 

Without waiting for the original submersed Whale water pump to fail I removed it and fitted a Shurflo:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:16 am

Hello Skizzydo. 

Your experience just fills us with more potential dread about our new Broadway EL. 

Our issue with A/S is not that they didn't support our issues through the manufacturers warranty. They made this very clear from day 1 with an explanation as to why. We understand and fully accept this but unfortunately this rebuff was the only time A/S have ever actually replied to any of our messages for help or guidance. They now just completely ignore our messages which are basically requests for advice, not financial support. 

I worked in branded products for many years and the sign of a good quality product/brand owner was always demonstrated by how the company went the extra mile to support a customer who had an issue post purchase. A good quality producer/manufacturer will want to know the outcome of any issues pertaining to their product irrespective of who picks up the tab. So the tactic of blatantly ignoring a customers messages for advice/direction certainly does not fill us with love for A/S and this is certainly the last time we will ever invest in their brand.

Our initial excitement at buying into this "quality brand" is now one of apprehension as to what is going to go wrong next.......a point supported by your own issues and many more on the A/S forum. Ironically the one good thing that has come out of it is this forum which is very helpful and normally full of constructive input. 

Best of luck to you. Hope you get another 79 days away this year problem free.
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Inky Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:47 am

Hi, in my opinion it's a simple answer, fit a new leisure battery ,and test the vehicle ,battery it will be the falt, I've fitted loads of battery in my trade and you would be surprised how quickly they deteriorate, I bought a new autocruise  camper,when I got it home and put on trickle charge as you do, it would go flat too soon after, checking   in battery box ,the battery was the shape of a football, I'm surprised it diden t blow up ,as did a new AS on a site we were on ,battery acid went everywhere ,poor man sleeping on bunk above it was a bit shaken and stured.
Inky
Inky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:30 pm

I hope it's that simple. We have moved from the various specific quality issue(s) and we now just accept that further problems should be anticipated. Between the dealer we bought it from and Fiat we will hopefully establish where the fault is.......complicated further by the issues to do with the central locking and the habitation door not opening from inside. Could be the actuator. Whatever the outcome, A/S have washed their hands of the problem and faced the other way.

Hopefully it will be a simple as a new battery but we are not confident this will be the case.........
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Inky likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Inky Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:07 pm

Hi, I still say the leisure battery is at falt all your electrics need at least 12+ v ,a fully charged battery is 13.8 volts, even your door locks need a good voltage.when mine started playing up the step would not come out only slowly and the not fully out,a quick test would be to put jump leads from your car direct to leisure battery ,then see what happens.
Inky
Inky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:37 pm

Obviously without doing the relevant tests we don't know what the issue is but the batteries will be part of that. However we won't just replace the battery until we know. If we need to then this will be covered either under Fiat warranty or by the dealer we bought from. Thanks for your input.
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:02 pm

Inky wrote:Hi, I still say the leisure battery is at falt all your electrics need at least 12+ v ,a fully charged battery is 13.8 volts, even your door locks need a good voltage.when mine started playing up the step would not come out only slowly and the not fully out,a quick test would be to put jump leads from your car direct to leisure battery ,then see what happens.

Did you mean to put 13.8v?  up!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Inky likes this post

Back to top Go down

Lack of support for a new a owner from A/S - Page 2 Empty Lack of support for new owner

Post by bikesjack Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:35 pm

Hi Alistair, I think your treatment from A/S was shoddy at best,a few years ago i bought a Rapido (great van) and having bought it from 
a non franchised dealer when i had a problem with it whilst at a show,the main fuse kept blowing.Icontacted the supplying dealer
who couldn't be much help over the phone in all fairness but he gave me a Rapido helpline number which i rang and explained my problem,they inturn contacted a dealer who was at the same show to see if they could help.The dealer contacted me,sent his technician
along who fixed my problem in about 15 minutes NO CHARGE.My van was two years old at the time.....chalk and cheese.
bikesjack
bikesjack

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:02 pm

Hi bikesjack. I totally agree. 

We are new customers to the A/S brand and our main issue is not that things have gone wrong with the van. We don't like it but have been around long enough to know these things happen. However when you are dealing with an item with a book value north of £80k you would expect the brand owner to at least acknowledge our communications/concerns. 

In fairness the dealer (also non franchised)we bought it from has stood up to be counted but this is not the point although it is pleasing to hear that other marques out there take customer issues more seriously and helped customers even if it is simply to point them in the right direction. Ignoring a cry for help is the worst thing they can do from  our point of view. 

Anyway we'll see what transpires. The van on the surface is lovely and if everything gets sorted I am sure we will enjoy it. If not then maybe its back to Auto-Trail we go. In our 3 year time with them we had zero issues but ultimately the MH we had was just a bit too big for us in the end. 

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated
ATB
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris M Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:05 pm

When you purchase a vehicle that has faults you seek redress at the company that sold it,you don’t go to Bosch etc.because their parts are on it,you must stop all this trying to find a solution,you purchased a vehicle that came with a warranty,end of.Get a Solicitor to commence court proceedings against the supplying dealer whilst there’s still time.
Chris M
Chris M

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:15 pm

You clearly haven't read the thread here. I am working with the dealer who sold me the product and they are supporting us. With respect get off your horse and do not tell us what we should or should not do. If you read the thread you will see that there is an issue with the warranty which was caused by the dealer who sold us the van. They are accepting full responsibility so there is no "end of"  and also no need for solicitors. Read the thread. You have missed the point entirely. Bosch would still care if I had one of their products that was faulty and they would at least acknowledge my communications.
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:48 pm

Hey, that’s a bit harsh. Several of us needed to tell you the responsibility was with the dealer who sold you the van for all the issues you reported but still you persisted with the AS route. I’m glad you at last went back to the dealer where you’re getting some resolution.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:24 pm

Okay Tin. Point made. If my response to ChrisM came across as abrupt then I apologise if this is the case but in the spirit of being as equally open as he was, I found the tone of the message quite patronising. Either way, if offence has been caused by my own message then I genuinely apologise. I appreciate the well meaning advice.

It is clear to me that the biggest mistake I have made was to think I was buying into a brand. I haven't. I have bought a product from a retailer and need to see it that way. I have been in touch with the supplying dealer from the day this whole issue started but it wasn't until the quality issues commenced that we discovered he had cocked up and was late in transferring the warranty. Without covering old ground he missed the transfer deadline by 2 day - as you know this is something I was unaware of until the horse had bolted.

I will take on board all advice given and will ensure that I resolve the issues without continuing to air it publicly. My opinion of A/S stands as is and won't change but lets not go there anymore.

I would like to again thank everyone considerate enough to try and give us constructive advice.

End of..........
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:31 pm

I think we've pointed you in the right direction, Alastair, and that was the reason you joined us. I’m sorry you had a bad experience and I hope it all works out for you.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:33 pm

Thanks Tin and also to those others who contributed. It is appreciated. ATB
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:35 pm

Don’t be a stranger to ASOF. Your experience could be invaluable to others.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:39 pm

For sure Tin. I am more than happy to help others if I can do so. My own experience is as much about me learning as anything else. Hopefully I can contribute constructively to someone-else's challenges, just as many others have done here for me.
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Tinwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Inky Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:55 pm

Dbvwt wrote:

Did you mean to put 13.8v?  :up!:yes a fully charged new battery 13.8 volts 
Inky
Inky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inky Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:08 pm

Just for statement ,AS I cannot falt as I had a problem with the electrics and a few other items when I was at dorset,I phoned them direct ,and could not be more helpful ,they said call in on way home from crossways ,I stayed the night there ,8am they were on the ball, there is a very nice cafe in the local village ,had a very good breakfast to ,got back ,and they had fixed all my falts ,fitted a new fuse board as I used the tv outlet on out side of can to pump up my awning it must have overloaded the system.so don't knock them ,we are very pleased with the van, AS warwick  xl, fantastic layout too, I've had 5 different vans this really is the rolls Royce of vans in our opinion.
Inky
Inky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete F Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:27 pm

I believe that I have had this problem several times. Try checking the fuses, vehicle battery charging, which is labelled 20A. Originally it was 20A but then the dealer said go to 25A and finally A-S said 30A which appears to have addressed the problem.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pete F
Pete F

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Alastair0811 Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:31 pm

Thankyou Pete. Another member suggested something similar so there may be something in your suggestion. Much appreciated
Alastair0811
Alastair0811

Male

Pete F likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2